Page 36 of 78 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Wife and I just broke open a Pappy 23 that we've had for about 6 or 7 years. It was good but I was expecting to be blown away. Can't imagine actually paying the price that these bottles go for. Definitely not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Wife and I just broke open a Pappy 23 that we've had for about 6 or 7 years. It was good but I was expecting to be blown away. Can't imagine actually paying the price that these bottles go for. Definitely not worth it.
    That 23 yo goes for $2000 or more on secondary sales, it took courage for you to open it. I've got bottles of 20 yo and 15 yo I bought retail that I can't figure out whether to drink or sell. It'd have to be a big occasion to drink them I guess.

At The Wine Dive in Park City, the 15 year old goes for about $20 a glass. Excellent!!!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Anyone try this yet?

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That 23 yo goes for $2000 or more on secondary sales, it took courage for you to open it. I've got bottles of 20 yo and 15 yo I bought retail that I can't figure out whether to drink or sell. It'd have to be a big occasion to drink them I guess.
    That's bullshit. Open those lovelies. That's why you bought them, right? Not as some part of a diversified investment strategy. Friday evening is as good an occasion as any, imho.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    That's bullshit. Open those lovelies. That's why you bought them, right? Not as some part of a diversified investment strategy. Friday evening is as good an occasion as any, imho.
    Thanks, I needed that. I'll save some for you.

hear! hear!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Thanks, I needed that. I'll save some for you.
    I have a bottle of the 20-year old that I'd been saving for a few years for a 'special occasion'. Then, about 3 weeks ago, NumbrdDays was in town, and we met up for beers, and the topic of bourbon came up, and before I really knew what I was doing, we'd opened the bottle. I didn't go into the evening with that on the plan, and I don't know that it was the undefined "special occasion" I'd been waiting for, but to share that with someone who appreciated it, and in the midst of everything else that was going on, it was the right thing to do, and I'm glad it happened that way.

Now, I'm telling myself that I won't have any more until I have someone else around to share it with, and drinking my less-special bourbons while I'm alone...

How about Rye? I finally got my hands on the "best whisky of the year 2015". Pretty good, and easy drinking. Can't complain about the price at around $30, if you can find it.

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/11/19/the...ook-to-canada/
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I still call it The Jake.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That looks like fun!

I've been grabbing that cheap Weller lately.

Been on a Michter's Rye kick too. Caramel!

Pretty sure this:

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Is what Brock did with really good bourbon in this:

Metphorically speaking.

I recently had the best Bourbon I have tasted yet straight from the barrel stashed in a barn outside of Louisville. Where it was originally made is unclear, but it was some of the smoothest I've ever had. Barely a trace of the heat/burn I was braced for. Kentucky is a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by bgrayvy View Post
    I recently had the best Bourbon I have tasted yet straight from the barrel stashed in a barn outside of Louisville. Where it was originally made is unclear, but it was some of the smoothest I've ever had. Barely a trace of the heat/burn I was braced for. Kentucky is a special place.
    Was it one of the stolen Pappy/Antique Collection barrels?

Was it one of the stolen Pappy/Antique Collection barrels?

Doubtful, although it was as good as any 20-year-old Pappy I've had. Likely one of the old Stitzel-Weller barrel stash.

Very cool.

Maybe it's where all the Black Maple Hill went. Fuckers need to give that shit up!

Very cool.

Maybe it's where all the Black Maple Hill went. Fuckers need to give that shit up!
    Whatever the provenance, it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by bgrayvy View Post
    Whatever the provenance, it was amazing.
    You in Louisville?

Picked up some rock hill farms tonight. Had some wonderful 10yo Pappy this past weekend. Forgot how syrupy it is.

I was back visiting the homeland over Labor Day.

Joined Flaviar yesterday.

Looks interesting.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Joined Flaviar yesterday.

Looks interesting.
    I found them to be a PiTA. Pretty expensive for the tiny tasters you get. Some good hooch tho.

I doubt I will do it long. Just going to try some rums and gins.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Buddy gave me a bottle of the Weller Antique 107 a few weeks back. Little hot but once it mellows out it is damn tasty.

Sounds like my local spot got their allotment of Pappy, etc. I think they do it auction style for charity.

We had a bourbon tasting on the mountain Saturday night. New one for me, Breckenridge, came in at #2 out of 12, to the best of my fuzzy recollection. Pretty smooth stuff. Woodford came in #1. Makers near the bottom as was Bulleit.

Have a client that services the Maker's Mark factory. Helped him with a lead foot problem and received a bottle of Makers Cask Strength weighing in at a whopping 110.4 proof. Haven't been brave enough since Saturday night to open it.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).