Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Highwest is a great place to visit and the booze is good too, god I spent a chagillion dollars when we went in February. hard tofind the stuff, but worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Haven't tried the Pappy 15 year yet. The Basil Hayden is a bit sweeter than say the Van Winkle special reserve 12, which I think is pretty darn dry for a Bourbon.
    Agreed with the smooth & sweet description for BH, one of my favorites for everyday sipping although a little spendy. The Pappy 20-year is more complex and much more flavorful but still extremely smooth (my all time favorite). I think the Van Winkle 12 is actually not all that great compared to the rest of their lineup.

I found myself in the unenviable position of being completely out of my beloved Woodford and Eagle Rare this past weekend and had to sip on some Stranahan's (not bourbon but mentioned in this thread). Remind me to get the couple who gave me that some Jager in return next week as it is NOT a suitable substitute for the good ol' Kentucky brown water. Ugh!
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I found myself in the unenviable position of being completely out of my beloved Woodford and Eagle Rare this past weekend and had to sip on some Stranahan's (not bourbon but mentioned in this thread). Remind me to get the couple who gave me that some Jager in return next week as it is NOT a suitable substitute for the good ol' Kentucky brown water. Ugh!
    Well, I loves me some WR and ER but if due to some unimaginably horrible turn of events there were no more bourbon ever, Stranahan's would be near the top of the list of things I'd drink instead.

Did a little drinking last night.

1. Started with some Booker's. Love the unfiltered, barrel-proof nature of this bourbon. Sweet and strong, but still well balanced. This shit will get you drunk really easily.

2. Then went to a glass of Corner Creek. I am kind of with Tipp now that the Corner Creek is fairly meh. Nice price point, but for the same price, you can get Buffalo Trace, which IMHO, is superior. It tastes kind of harsh and flat at the same time, which isn't a good combination. Don't get me wrong, its not swill, but its also not the bargain I originally thought it was.

3. Poured a very small glass of the Pappy 15-year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

1. Started with some Booker's. Love the unfiltered, barrel-proof nature of this bourbon. Sweet and strong, but still well balanced. This shit will get you drunk really easily.

2. Then went to a glass of Corner Creek. I am kind of with Tipp now that the Corner Creek is fairly meh. Nice price point, but for the same price, you can get Buffalo Trace, which IMHO, is superior. It tastes kind of harsh and flat at the same time, which isn't a good combination. Don't get me wrong, its not swill, but its also not the bargain I originally thought it was.

Big +1 on the Bookers taste and it's "fuck you up" qualities !
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

gunit130 Guest

Celebrating the promotion to Drive-Thru Manager?

Just picked up a handle of Buffalo Trace for $35. Stoked for tomorrow's Mint Juleps.

Way to see the light young grasshoppa!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Just picked up a handle of Buffalo Trace for $35. Stoked for tomorrow's Mint Juleps.

Way to see the light young grasshoppa!
    I never could acquire a taste for a julip. Been to the derby and had what was supposed to a pretty good one, but it was kinda way too minty for my taste.

Fuck the "Derby Julep" with shaved ice, powdered sugar, and in a silver cup. I make a classic New Orleans Julep

4 parts Bourbon
    1 Part Simple Syrup
    1 Part water
    Sprig of mint

Add all ingredients into a Highball glass
    Fill with ice
    Shake (bruises the mint) but don't over-shake

Enjoy.

You can adjust the sweetness and mintiness easier this way.

Was at the track... the julips there are pour, but the post game action proved to be much nicer with something very similar to what Tippster posted with some woodford.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Fuck the "Derby Julep"

4 parts Bourbon

Enjoy.
    Doesn't everything that starts with that count as pure win?

I'm addicted to Elijah Craig 18. My choices for bourbon here are slim pickens Beam, Makers Mark, Knob Creek and the Elijah Craig. I'm nearly to the point of not being able to enjoy the others but $53 a bottle is asspensive especially at the rate I drink it. Dam you Kentucky Dam you.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    I'm addicted to Elijah Craig 18. My choices for bourbon here are slim pickens Beam, Makers Mark, Knob Creek and the Elijah Craig. I'm nearly to the point of not being able to enjoy the others but $53 a bottle is asspensive especially at the rate I drink it. Dam you Kentucky Dam you.
    Feel for ya. Beam is fine mixed. Never acquired a taste for makers, kinda hard flavor and not a nice mellow finish like the Elijah. I think, knob creek is some good stuff over a few cubes of ice. What's that running over there a bottle ?

Layed into some Buffalo Trace tonight... who knew?

Little more bite than I expected but strong oak/vanilla notes balanced it out. Not as sip worthy as an Eagle Rare or Woodford, but not bad at all I'm tellin' ya!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Layed into some Buffalo Trace tonight... who knew?

Little more bite than I expected but strong oak/vanilla notes balanced it out. Not as sip worthy as an Eagle Rare or Woodford, but not bad at all I'm tellin' ya!
    Well, considering youre posting @ 1:50 a.m. ,you've got all your words spelled correctly and your punctuation looks about right. It must have been a pretty tame "laying into". : )

What's Buffalo Trace run a fifth ?

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Well, considering youre posting @ 1:50 a.m. ,you've got all your words spelled correctly and your punctuation looks about right. It must have been a pretty tame "laying into". : )

What's Buffalo Trace run a fifth ?
    Nothing crazy, just an evening on the deck listening to baseball and grilling out. "Layed" into about half a fifth.

Around here a fifth costs $20.99

Yea I'm just not into Buffalo Trace. I'm a Bookers/ Woodford/ blantons guy buffalo is OK but meh to me. Flying to Seattle next week try to find Pappy everyone here seems enamoured of.

Welcome to my church:

The Party Source

Imagine a store the size of wal-mart full of booze. It helps that it's just down the road from the bourbon trail too. Distillers make weekly trips, rare bottles are readily available, including Van Winkles (although those go like you know what on a hot tin roof!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Yea I'm just not into Buffalo Trace. I'm a Bookers/ Woodford/ blantons guy buffalo is OK but meh to me.
    You seem to be in the minority...

http://bourbonbuzz.com/2011/04/21/bu...its-challenge/

Most excellent thread. Good friend of mine has a b-day coming up and I typically get him a fifth of some really good bourbon. Knob Creek two years ago, Basil Hayden last year. Time to go shopping!
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Buffalo trace doesn't do anything for me either. But I haven't had any in a few years and my palate has developed some. Of course, my budget has degenerated of late, so it might be a while before I try it again.

Fuck the "Derby Julep" with shaved ice, powdered sugar, and in a silver cup. I make a classic New Orleans Julep

4 parts Bourbon
    1 Part Simple Syrup
    1 Part water
    Sprig of mint

Add all ingredients into a Highball glass
    Fill with ice
    Shake (bruises the mint) but don't over-shake

Enjoy.

You can adjust the sweetness and mintiness easier this way.
    You had me at hello. That sounds damn delicious, and it's about time I subscribe to this thread...

so I had been lookin for a nice bottle of upper end high proof bourbon ( I keep Elijah Craig in the decanter for day to day use) to replace the bottle of Blantons I just finished that a wonderful woman brought to our derby party.

George T Stagg has become impossible to find for sale, even here in metropolis

I actually found a bottle of Pappy at our local liquor store last night but they wanted $195 for it
    fuck that
    they did have Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve aged 9 years @ 120 proof for less than $50 so i got that
    pretty damn good, not quite in the league of the masters mentioned above but better than most all others I have had.
    it will do just fine

I tried some Elijah Craig recently. I don't think it's as smooth as Blantons, more of a knob creek flavor.

I do confess that I like bourbons with a sweeter flavor Blantons, Rare Eagle, Russells Reserve ..........