Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    That Evan Williams bottle kind of looks like a butt plug.

^Glad I'm not the only one
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Discovered Black Maple Hill (by Heaven Hill's Distillery) out of Bardstown, KY while having pre dinner drinks at Graham Elliot this Saturday. Very tasty. 95 proof, but drank nothing like it. Lots of butterscotch flavor to this one.

Apparently they have a 14, 16, and 21 y/o to go with the 8 y/o that I had. Give it a go if you see it.

I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    all I know is that this is a sweet bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    That Evan Williams bottle kind of looks like a butt plug.

Notice he didn't say anything about the bourbon....just the bottle
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

We bought a whole barrel of that Evan Williams 2000 for the shop (and I'm just about to start my 3rd bottle of it at home). Those were some of the best barrel samples I've tasted in quite a while. The nice folks at Heaven Hill sent the samples at barrel proof too which was a particular treat.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    We bought a whole barrel of that Evan Williams 2000 for the shop (and I'm just about to start my 3rd bottle of it at home). Those were some of the best barrel samples I've tasted in quite a while. The nice folks at Heaven Hill sent the samples at barrel proof too which was a particular treat.
    A whole barrel ? how does one go about making that fantasy purchase ?? What's a barrel run ?
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

We order samples from the distillery. They pull 4 to 6 barrels out of circulation and grab 200ml of each one. Then they mail them to us. We (the owner, the beer buyer, and me) taste though them and then compare notes on our favorites. Then we contact the distillery and they bottle our barrel off for us. The quantity we get varies based on the "Angel's Share", but it's typically between 11 and 19 cases (12pks). Bottle cost is usually a couple of bucks less per bottle than the regular wholesale cost. As an added bonus they send us the empty barrel which we take to Golden City brewery who makes a special imperial stout and ages it off in our barrels for about 6 months before bottling it under a special label that we had commissioned.

In the last 60 days I've had 8 barrel samples of Breckenridge whiskey, 6 Buffalo Trace, 4 Eagle Rare, 4 Blantons, and 4 Bernheim's wheat. I'm not getting rich doing what I do, but the fringe benefits are nice...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

We order samples from the distillery. They pull 4 to 6 barrels out of circulation and grab 200ml of each one. Then they mail them to us. We (the owner, the beer buyer, and me) taste though them and then compare notes on our favorites. Then we contact the distillery and they bottle our barrel off for us. The quantity we get varies based on the "Angel's Share", but it's typically between 11 and 19 cases (12pks). Bottle cost is usually a couple of bucks less per bottle than the regular wholesale cost. As an added bonus they send us the empty barrel which we take to Golden City brewery who makes a special imperial stout and ages it off in our barrels for about 6 months before bottling it under a special label that we had commissioned.

In the last 60 days I've had 8 barrel samples of Breckenridge whiskey, 6 Buffalo Trace, 4 Eagle Rare, 4 Blantons, and 4 Bernheim's wheat. I'm not getting rich doing what I do, but the fringe benefits are nice...

Sounds like you're doing this as a commercial buyer or is it just the man on the street purchase? Pretty jealous of your sampling list.

Haven't had the Buffalo Trace (not sure it's even in the local ABC stores) I particularly like Eagle Rare and Blantons, but Blantons is about $56 a bottle here, so I've been laying off it for a while, and drinking a lot of Russells Reserve and lately some WL Weller.

Yup, I'm a wine buyer at a mid sized shop here in Denver. Kinda upscale but still value focussed, ya know?

That 7yo Weller is freaking delicious for the money. Try to find the 12yo at your local shops. It's so smooth and stupid cheap for a 12 year old. I just finished off a bottle of the single barrel 12yo barrel proof version of it called William Larue Weller. Sick. Just sick...

Yup, I'm a wine buyer at a mid sized shop here in Denver. Kinda upscale but still value focussed, ya know?

That 7yo Weller is freaking delicious for the money. Try to find the 12yo at your local shops. It's so smooth and stupid cheap for a 12 year old. I just finished off a bottle of the single barrel 12yo barrel proof version of it called William Larue Weller. Sick. Just sick...

They had both bottles and I went for the cheaper one to get a taste before dropping more cash. Next trip is for the 12 year old stuff !

I need to try some Weller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

^^^ That bottle of single barrel William Larue Weller could've been yours. But instead I was forced to drink it. Fack!

^^^ That bottle of single barrel William Larue Weller could've been yours. But instead I was forced to drink it. Fack!
    Sending you an email, now.

Paying $53 for Elijah Craig here in Japan. Fair price?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Discovered Black Maple Hill (by Heaven Hill's Distillery) out of Bardstown, KY while having pre dinner drinks at Graham Elliot this Saturday. Very tasty. 95 proof, but drank nothing like it. Lots of butterscotch flavor to this one.

Apparently they have a 14, 16, and 21 y/o to go with the 8 y/o that I had. Give it a go if you see it.
    Had some of this the other night with dinner, fantastic bourbon, so smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Paying $53 for Elijah Craig here in Japan. Fair price?
    Well the 12 yr old stuff is listed at around $20 retail so here in Va. it would be around $30-$35. The 18 year old single barrel stuff is around $50 retail so $60-65 or so here in Va. So considering the distance, that's probably not too terribly out of line in Japan (guessing you're getting the 12 yr. old stuff). The main thing is, does it do it for you taste wise ? If so then it's worth it if you got the cash and takes you to your happy place.

I think the Mags in the No. Virginia area should have a bourbon get together. Tippster tells of a place in that area of a big bourbon bar that offers many earthly bourbon delights for the sipping.

Any rec'ds for Rye? Seems like there is a shortage of rye right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Any rec'ds for Rye? Seems like there is a shortage of rye right now.
    Well if it's any where near as good as their bourbon (russells reserve bourbon), Russells reserve rye whiskey is probably damn good stuff.

I'm a rye jong and don't know fuck-all about the stuff, but (once again) Tuthilltown makes one that I really enjoyed - Hudson Manhattan Rye. Kind of bourbon-y, with a real full flavor. Spendy, but if I was going to get into rye, that would be my starting point.

I <heart> this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Well if it's any where near as good as their bourbon (russells reserve bourbon), Russells reserve rye whiskey is probably damn good stuff.
    I think I like the rye better than their bourbon. Spicy and sharp without being harsh.
    In with the 9.

Check out Rittenhouse Rye. It's my go to Sazerac / Manhattan rye these days. Bottled in bond too! ~$20 on the shelf.

What's the word on Sazerac brand rye whiskey? Decent stuff or just capitalizing on the tasty beverage by the same name?

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    I think I like the rye better than their bourbon. Spicy and sharp without being harsh.
    That's enough for me I'm getting a bottle, but hey when it comes to booze, I'm easy, not cheap but easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What's the word on Sazerac brand rye whiskey? Decent stuff or just capitalizing on the tasty beverage by the same name?
    The same company that owns Sazerac Rye also owns all of the Buffalo Trace, Van Winkle, Weller and George T. Stagg brands.

Picked up a bottle of Mitchner's Rye tonight (and a bottle of Four Flowers Bourbon). The rye is nice. Smooth and dry, not as complex as some of the bourbons I have tried, but really drinkable. Could see myself getting into trouble with this (given the ease of drinkability).

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post

Picked up a bottle of Mitchner's Rye tonight (and a bottle of Four Flowers Bourbon). The rye is nice. Smooth and dry, not as complex as some of the bourbons I have tried, but really drinkable. Could see myself getting into trouble with this (given the ease of drinkability).

Thanks for the review. Now about that bourbon... Four Flowers Bourbon ? Never heard of it, but it sounds like a bourbon marketed to lesbians ?