Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1933
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I’m not sure I said it was hot. I think I wrote the opposite- or at least I intended too. It’s not hot at all. That said, at 66%, I could feel my palate start to deaden a bit after half a Glencairn. The dick swinging about “if you have to add water to make it easier to drink” is out of place, and frankly uninformed.
    Wasn't meant as an insult. Just saying that watering down the booze seems to mess with flavors IMHO. Everyone is different so add your water. It's all good.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

I agree with Evasive. For me, barrel proof bourbon is best proofed down a bit, water helps open those tertiary flavors that are often hidden behind 130-140 proof spirit. There are obviously exceptions, some high proof unicorns taste like they’re much lower than they actually are. It’s fun to play with the proof and see how the flavors change. I almost always taste neat, then add a chip of ice or a cube. Fresh snow works amazingly well too! I love higher proof ‘merican whiskies for just that reason, pick your preferred proof. On the flip side, it’s very easy to over dilute and watch the whiskey completely fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On that note just scored another Elijah BP, been out for awhile, one of my all time faves. Also just found a Larceny BP, and 1792 “full proof” very excited to dip into these two as they’re new to me! Also picked up a Little Book chapter 4 from Bookers, blend of 4yr straight brown rice bourbon (?!!!) 8 yr rye, and 7yr bourbon, this should be very interesting!

Scored a van winkle “lot B” 12yr in a raffle, can’t decide if I should drink this or sell it, could buy a lot of Elijah BP for $600+ ! Anyone have an opinion on lot B?

that’s why I have a pipette. A drop at a time makes a difference to the nose. My fiancé got me a really nice handblown one for Xmas. Yeah it’s nerdy and fussy, but whatever.

I think Glencairns are obnoxious to drink out of, but they slow me down and I spend half the time smelling instead of sipping. I’m so used to cask strength or overproof whiskies now that sometimes I can drink standard bottlings faster than I should.

Sorry I can't skim through 63 pages of this thread and searching on various acronyms of Weller Special Reserve is of limited usefulness, so hoping you guys point me in the direction of some similarly smooth options? Blantons used to be the go to, but that was back when it was $50 a bottle (what the fuck happened to the prices??). Actually think I like the Weller Special Reserve even better, now looking to expand the purview..... I have tried Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill. Sounds like the Weller SP Antique 107 might be worthy, but is it worthy of $175? Really prefer the smoother, mellower bourbons. Appreciate the help, my wallet and my liver thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Sorry I can't skim through 63 pages of this thread and searching on various acronyms of Weller Special Reserve is of limited usefulness, so hoping you guys point me in the direction of some similarly smooth options? Blantons used to be the go to, but that was back when it was $50 a bottle (what the fuck happened to the prices??). Actually think I like the Weller Special Reserve even better, now looking to expand the purview..... I have tried Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill. Sounds like the Weller SP Antique 107 might be worthy, but is it worthy of $175? Really prefer the smoother, mellower bourbons. Appreciate the help, my wallet and my liver thank you
    Lol OWA107 is not a smooth sipper, and I don't think it's worth $175, but YMMV. Keep an eye out for Eagle Rare 10 and Buffalo Trace if smooth jams make you happy

And re: adding water, I'm no purist, and I drink most of my stronger ryes and barrel proof scotches (and non barrel proof too!!) with water, but at least with my bottle of ECBP (b517) I found it to be perfect without water, and having tried it both ways, I'll never go back to adding water. That's the strongest, smoothest bourbon I've ever had.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Blanton's is still 44.44 wholesale. Anyone who charges much more than 64.99 for it at retail is skeezing.

Check out Bernheim for another quality wheated whiskey since weller is so hard to get these days.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Blanton's is still 44.44 wholesale. Anyone who charges much more than 64.99 for it at retail is skeezing.

Check out Bernheim for another quality wheated whiskey since weller is so hard to get these days.
    Larceny too for another great wheatie

^^^ That larceny full proof was great too but I would guess it'll be difficult to find in a retail setting aside it hit the shelves before Christmas.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Awesome, will add these to the list. Thanks guys

I’m a fan of Larceny full proof. Much better than the standard 92 proof version.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

My go to the wheated whiskey for a Weller alternative is Makers Mark barrel proof. Not hard to find, not overpriced, and I get the wheated bourbon flavors I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    My go to the wheated whiskey for a Weller alternative is Makers Mark barrel proof. Not hard to find, not overpriced, and I get the wheated bourbon flavors I want.
    This, for sure.

Old Weller Antique lost a lot of buyers when they increased the price to $49, and I think it’s marginal at that price. I still usually buy one when I see it because I like it and don’t see it often. I still have half a bottle of that and half a Weller 12 that I mostly save as curiosities for visiting friends, now that they’re unicorns.

There is a restaurant around here that has Weller 12 for $9. I tried it and thought it was good. To me it's better than the Special Reserve, but not as good as 107.

The finest bourbon I have tasted. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Larceny too for another great wheatie

Redemption wheated bourbon. 51% corn 45% wheat 4.5yo MGP juice. Shit rocks.

Very strange experience yesterday. I'm in a liquor store I've never been in, a sort of strip mally place with all the promotional posters covering the windows to the parking lot. Not classy, but, in a place with money. I check out the poster for Pappy Van Winkle, so, like, yeah, right, like they even have any, haven't seen a bottle for years. But, God damn, there are three bottles right on the counter next to the cash register! Like an impulse buy next to the airline bottles. The fifteen year old was going for 1700 dollars. Right there! Easy grab and go, highway right down the road. Bizarre.

They have strip malls in Italy?
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Very strange experience yesterday. I'm in a liquor store I've never been in, a sort of strip mally place with all the promotional posters covering the windows to the parking lot. Not classy, but, in a place with money. I check out the poster for Pappy Van Winkle, so, like, yeah, right, like they even have any, haven't seen a bottle for years. But, God damn, there are three bottles right on the counter next to the cash register! Like an impulse buy next to the airline bottles. The fifteen year old was going for 1700 dollars. Right there! Easy grab and go, highway right down the road. Bizarre.
    one more reason Utah is actually pretty good. Though Pappy's is limited there, price is regulated. You wont find any $1700 bottles in their stores.

Yeah, but, therefore, do you find it at all?

1700 ain't bad, compared to prices I see on the internet. The 23 year old can go for 4500. Christ, that's much worse than cocaine.

Picked up a new one (to me) to try tonight. $40 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210219_213728575.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	363790

Buddy shared a couple unicorns with me recently.

'20 Saz 18yr: First time ever trying this one. Super smooth and buttery. Palate was richer than the proof suggests. Finish however was a bit short. At 100+ proof this would be fantastic. I'd pay retail any day but not much more above that.

Parker Heritage 24yr: Really interesting albeit honestly not that great. Hard to pin this one down but it just tasted old and dusty instead of over-oaked as I expected. Only had a small pour but will need to try this one again when I'm back over there.

Speaking of fairly high aged bourbon, I also recently tried the Blue Note 17yr against the regular 9yr. 17yr was actually quite damn good once it opened up. Carmel butter bomb and smooth. Bottle says 'barrel proof' but lists it at 90. 9yr (93pf) was solid and better than regular Dickel. Ok buy at $50. 17yr is gets pretty pricey at $160 (retail).

Name:  BN17.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  142.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Buddy shared a couple unicorns with me recently.

'20 Saz 18yr: First time ever trying this one. Super smooth and buttery. Palate was richer than the proof suggests. Finish however was a bit short. At 100+ proof this would be fantastic. I'd pay retail any day but not much more above that.

Parker Heritage 24yr: Really interesting albeit honestly not that great. Hard to pin this one down but it just tasted old and dusty instead of over-oaked as I expected. Only had a small pour but will need to try this one again when I'm back over there.

Speaking of fairly high aged bourbon, I also recently tried the Blue Note 17yr against the regular 9yr. 17yr was actually quite damn good once it opened up. Carmel butter bomb and smooth. Bottle says 'barrel proof' but lists it at 90. 9yr (93pf) was solid and better than regular Dickel. Ok buy at $50. 17yr is gets pretty pricey at $160 (retail).

Name:  BN17.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  142.2 KB
    I need your friends.

My palate is unable (so far) to distinguish much difference in an anything aged beyond about 10 years ......

which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    My palate is unable (so far) to distinguish much difference in an anything aged beyond about 10 years ......

which is a good thing.
    Right? Same boat, kinda thankfully. Also don't have friends with fancy palates so not tempted by taste tests. I've gotten lucky over the year cause dad's got money and like booze, but still mostly sub $500 bottles.

It’s seldom my first pour of the night, but damned if Wyoming Whiskey’s Outryder isn’t tasty. I’m sipping on one now after killing my Bowmore 12. Nancy Fraley did a great job helping them address some QA issues and generally elevate their game. Their batches are much better, and consistent. And every Outryder I’ve had I’ve enjoyed.

If you haven’t read the story about why aren’t selling a rye whiskey, it’s an entertaining one. Outryder is a make lemonade with lemons kind of story.