Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I was given a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon and it's really interesting. 100% corn and made in New York which makes it pretty unique. It's got a rich, intense flavor - worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I was given a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon and it's really interesting. 100% corn and made in New York which makes it pretty unique. It's got a rich, intense flavor - worth checking out.

Free booze is always good...are you rushing out to drop $55 for another one of those 375ml bottles ?

Quote Originally Posted by high-C View Post
    Free booze is always good...are you rushing out to drop $55 for another one of those 375ml bottles ?
    Heh, point taken. It's good enough that I'd like to keep some on hand for top-shelf occasions. I usually try to keep a bottle of Blanton's around for those occasions - the Baby Bourbon is more interesting. And FWIW, it's a little cheaper in my neck of the woods...but not much. I'm going to try to stay on the gift-giver's good side.

Yes it is interesting...but I haven't yet gotten by the price... I imagine with all corn it's a pretty bright, high strung sort of character ? Website says they age that stuff in 3 gallon barrels ! Does it taste like wood or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by high-C View Post
    I imagine with all corn it's a pretty bright, high strung sort of character ? Website says they age that stuff in 3 gallon barrels ! Does it taste like wood or what ?
    It's not so much like Hirsch as it is mellow and rounded and towards the vanilla and carmel side. Kind of like Woodford Reserve.

I liked the corn, but I loved the 4 Grain Hudson. That one might actually be worth the stupid price. So much complexity...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I liked the corn, but I loved the 4 Grain Hudson. That one might actually be worth the stupid price. So much complexity...
    Really? Dammit, this shit might end up destroying me financially.

Feeling special tonight: I'm slowly making my way through 2 fingers of the 1993 Buffalo Trace experimental collection double barrel bourbon. The entire state of Colorado was allocated 6 bottles (375ml's) of the experimental collection for the year and I split one with my co-worker. This may actually be the most enjoyable bourbon I've ever tasted. Huge on the palate. Massive cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, caramel, and brown sugar. Wow!

http://www.greatbourbon.com/experimentalcollection.aspx
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Had 2 fingers of Baker's last night. Still yummy.

This is a fine gentlemanly drinking thread. I am going to link it from the Drinking Discussion.

I don't partake often, but when I do I spend. Pappy's is great at 15yrs or older. Truth spoken about all the Buffalo Trace brands, especially Booker, they are consistently fine and cheaper than their good peers. George Stagg is my favorite, though the 130-140 proof aspect alone accounts for much of the sweetness and aroma. Four Roses single barrel very nice.

The best stuff doesn't need much breathing, but even good single-barrel bourbons need to emit the harsher esters--let it rest in the glass for a hour or two, but don't leave the bottle open. And a brandy snifter _is_ an ideal vessel for bourbon. Finally, just basic advice, don't let it slip down your throat quickly unless it's truly smooth. Keep your head level if there are hot elements--let them rest in your palate for a little bit.

We have tastings with the aid of Mike Veach, former archivist of Brown-Forman, so we get lots of history. But then, my great great grandfather was Frederick Stitzel, the better half of Stitzel-Weller pair IMHO, so it kinda flows in the veins.
    http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs...4?opendocument

I recommend this from an old friend, Susan Reigler:
    http://www.allbookstores.com/book/97...tail_Book.html

Kentucky does a few things very well.
    Last edited by whippersnapper; 03-17-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Denverites: Argonaut has Buffalo Trace on sale for $18.xx/750 right now. Git sum.

after trying it, then Pappy 12 and Elijah 12 I am back to Buffalo Trace as my favorite sub-$30 750 bourbon. I am trying very hard to keep my taste for good booze limited to a price point I can maintain...
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Oh my, I have a new contender. I found a bottle of this under the tree:

http://www.stranahans.com/index.php?q=story

Much like the Hudson's Baby Bourbon I was raving about upthread, but this has somewhat less vanilla and caramel than that. It's great and costs about half of the Hudson's. Superb top-shelf stuff, ungodly smooth.

Colorado, who knew?

Much like the Hudson's Baby Bourbon I was raving about upthread, but this has somewhat less vanilla and caramel than that. It's great and costs about half of the Hudson's. Superb top-shelf stuff, ungodly smooth.

Colorado, who knew?
    Got a bottle for christmas....very tasty, but not bourbon
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Halfway into a glass of Maker's 46.
    Merry Christmas

Colorado, who knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Got a bottle for christmas....very tasty, but not bourbon
    I just read the fine print - malted barley, no corn. So yeah, not bourbon.

Damn good though.

I just read the fine print - malted barley, no corn. So yeah, not bourbon.

Damn good though.
    I thought "bourbon" was a regional thing?
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I thought "bourbon" was a regional thing?
    The only regional requirement is that it has to be made in the USA:
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey[/ame]

And it has to be at least 51% corn.

Is the Pappy's 10 worth the 65 a local guy is charging, since Elijah 18 is 55 down the shelf?

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    George Stagg is my favorite, though the 130-140 proof aspect alone accounts for much of the sweetness and aroma. Four Roses single barrel very nice.
    George Stagg is regoddamndiculously good. Woodsy told me about it and I had to buy a bottle. Drooool.

I recently bought a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. That stuff's yummy too.

I can't believe I missed whippersnappers post earlier. The article on Pappy was awesome reading. Thank you sir for sharing.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Is the Pappy's 10 worth the 65 a local guy is charging, since Elijah 18 is 55 down the shelf?
    is elijah 18 worth 3 times the elijah 12? not for me. elijah 12 is damn good
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No. The 107* Pappy 10 is delicious, but the Elijah 18yo is the supperior whiskey. It's deeper, darker, and more complex. Hold out until the Spring allocations for some Pappy 13yo Rye or 15yo if you really want some Pappy. Those are more engaging whiskeys than the 10yo (especially if they want $65 ).

regardless of the law I just can't consider anything not made in kentucky to be real bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    regardless of the law I just can't consider anything not made in kentucky to be real bourbon
    I enjoy tormenting people that think Jack Daniel's is bourbon.

Drinking the first snort of Van Winkle 12 now. So tasty.