melt
    add pasta and bacon
    stir to mix
    put into pan
    cover with topping of your choice, like seasoned bread crumbs or something
    bake
    eat

gemelli pasta (1 lb.)
    German butterkase and soft Gouda (1/2 lb. each)
    thick-cut bacon (3/4 - 1 lb.)
    breadcrumbs

Cook the pasta first to firm texture (too soft and it'll be mush by the time you're done). Strain. Add back to pot, then slowly add your cheese. Add enough butter so it doesn't coagulate. Add your bacon already finely chopped. Coat with breadcrumbs then stick in the oven on broil until that shit browns to a nice crust.

skip the bacon (or use just a tiny bit) and try it with fresh dungoeness crab.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

What pechelman said, mac is easy.

Roux + milk + cheese

Add a topping and bake if that's your thing.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-03-2009 at 12:39 PM.

With peas and tuna fish of course

Or salsa

5 cheese last night with tri tip.

didn't plan it just had a big ole stash in the refer......

marscapone
    gorganzola
    irish white cheddar
    co jack
    parm

ding. ding.
    one step forward, no step backward

This addition seems weird, but is actually pretty tasty. Make your Mac and Cheese according to whatever recipe, and add some of that Trader Joe's curry sauce into the mix. The sauce I'm thinking of is yellow-ish, and doesn't change the appearance of your Mac n' Crack that much, but takes your taste buds into uncharted territory.
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

add lobsta
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Experiment with different cheeses. Gouda is almost always a must.

Try some with crawfish. Seriously.

Kraft Box type - Spiderman series
    On sale because of damaged freight - $0.60

pechelman's recipe implies that butter is optional, which is incorrect and downright dangerous.

Change it so that it requires butter with the bacon grease, and insists on a butter-soaked bread crumb topping; then you're on to something.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

we do bacon and shrimp alot.

Saw a story on the CBS Morning show a couple of Sundays ago about a Mac n Cheese bar in NYC....looked $$$$
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Something about the seafood + cheese combo is unsettling.

Gouda shmouda. Unless it's smoked.

Bacon+smoked cheddar+jack is good.

It's pretty hard to beat jack+gruyere+beechers flagship. Add cayenne or smoked paparika for some additional zing.

I'm kinda liking the smoke.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Open box of mac and cheese deluxe version of course, follow directions on cooking the mac, add cheese from the foil packet and take the bacon bits out and sprinkle as desired...

Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Something about the seafood + cheese combo is unsettling.
    Pretty much a no-no in Italian cooking. I can think of very few times when it works.

Use half butter milk half milk...nice an tangy. Also, throwing in a splash or two of sherry (dry) or flavorful beer into the sauce is tasty.

For a different topping, try crushing potato chips mixed with bread crumbs or panko.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

it may be a no-no in italian cooking, but seafood with cream/cheese sauces are rather common in french cooking.

if chef dave at plonk in bozeman brings back his seafood gratin, order it. fkn rocks.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

A little freshly grated nutmeg always helps. As much as I love bacon; for a mac-n-cheese I have to go with pancetta. Adds some yummy porkiness without overpowering the rest of the ingredients. A place around here does a short rib mac-n-cheese, sounds a bit over the top, but I imagine it tastes good. It's on the late night bar menu which makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    pechelman's recipe implies that butter is optional, which is incorrect and downright dangerous.

Change it so that it requires butter with the bacon grease, and insists on a butter-soaked bread crumb topping; then you're on to something.
    Agreed.

Equal amounts of butter/fat and flour for the roux, too. Usually do about 1/4 cup of each per pound of pasta. 1/2 cup of milk after the roux, if you're looking for measurements.

It's kind of white-trashy but one of the local grocery stores sells cheese ends at the deli for mac & cheese. If it's the magical right combo (which you never know what you'll get), it's actually pretty good. about 3/4 lb plus some shredded cheddar does the trick. Proceed with pechelman's method.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    it may be a no-no in italian cooking, but seafood with cream/cheese sauces are rather common in french cooking.

if chef dave at plonk in bozeman brings back his seafood gratin, order it. fkn rocks.
    I've found that seafood and cheese in French dishes are more common in America than in France. Seafood in a bechamel or cream sauce, yes; but cheese dishes less so. Occasionally the gratin; not so much the "cheese sauce".

Now I'm getting hungry. Fortunately, I've got some fromage St Andre and a baguette for lunch.

Another tasty addition is some NM Green Chile.

if not enough bacon in the above add:

If you french fry when you pizza you're going to have a bad time.

Pancetta & Lobster Macaroni & Cheese Recipe

Ingredients:

2 seven ounce lobster tails or 1 lobster – room temperature, cut into small cunks
    12 ounces pancetta diced
    5 ounces unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon water
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 1/4 cup whole milk
    3 ounces Cheddar, shredded
    3 ounces Fontina, shredded
    3 ounces Gruyere, shredded
    12 ounces macaroni pasta

Directions:

1. Cut the butter in to once ounce cubes. Place 4 ounces of butter in a small pot and melt slowly over low heat.
    2. Add the lobster meat and cook for 5 -7 minutes or opaque in color. Claw meat will cook faster so make sure to check this after 3 – 4 minutes of cooking.
    3. When cooked remove from heat and remove lobster meat. Set aside.
    4. In a small pan cook the pancetta until slightly crispy.
    5. Place a pot on high heat with heavily salted water for boiling the macaroni.
    6. Melt 1 ounce butter in medium sized pot over medium/high heat. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly until the mixture browns and develops a nutty smell.
    7. Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add the milk and, again, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
    8. While this is simmering your water should have reached a roaring boil. Add macaroni to your pot of boiling salted water.
    9. When your cream sauce has simmered for 3 minutes slowly add the three cheeses, a handful at a time, and stir until fully incorporated.
    10. When the pasta is fully cooked pour the pasta into a colander to drain off water. Place the pasta in a bowl and add the cheese sauce. Mix well. Fold in the cooked lobster meat and pancetta; serve immediately.