Places to stay in Arlberg and Zermatt?

Looking at some quality vacation time. While looking at Arlberg area, Stuben sounded like a cool area. Any recs on accomodation in St. Anton or Stuben? Looking for something reasonably priced, so nothing five star or anything like that. Same with Zermatt (though I am afraid that whole place is just woefully overpriced). Thanks for any suggestions!
    "Girl, let us freak."

St Jakob -

http://www.dersteinbock.at/german/willkommen.html

Good owner, good breakast, reasonable price, right next to bus stop or 10 min walk to Nasserein lift.

Zermatt -

http://www.hotelbahnhof.com

Dorm or private room, kitchen and laundry in the basement, reasonably priced in Zermatt.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Hugh Conway Guest
    If the steinbok is booked there's a half dozen other pensions around it that are nice and quieter. They are all decent and pretty interchanggeable < shrug> Just go to the tourist offices website and pick them.

For St. Anton, I have always just emailed a slew of pension/gastehauses and it has worked well. Sorta a pain, but I'm usually there high season so have to take what I can get...

H-man hooked me up w/ a friend of his at a Hotel right in the center of town which was a great location, albeit more pricey than we normally pay. I can look up the name if you want as I can't remember it right now. One year we got a great deal at Hotel Kirkplatz, but everytime since is has been pricey as well. There is a pension right next to it that is great. Gampberg I think it is. Great location and reasonable. If you want dinner included I can definitely recommend Rosa Canina in Nasserein. Stayed there w/ the inlaws and parents last year. Really really good food, but again, more expensive than just a B&B arrangement.

Basically everywhere we have ever stayed there has been fine. I would stay in St. Anton versus Stuben if you want anything at all to do outside the daytime hours. Stuben is really sleepy, albeit with good skiing.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nails View Post
    Looking at some quality vacation time. While looking at Arlberg area, Stuben sounded like a cool area. Any recs on accomodation in St. Anton or Stuben? Looking for something reasonably priced, so nothing five star or anything like that. Same with Zermatt (though I am afraid that whole place is just woefully overpriced). Thanks for any suggestions!
    Rusty,

Hit up Danielle at the Alpenrose in Zermatt. I stayed there for a couple hundred euro a night, had a room with a balcony that faced the Matterhorn - i woke up in the morning to see the Matterhorn out my window. Was cool.

http://www.alpenrose-zermatt.ch/

Thanks for all the info, fellas. I truly appreciate it! Will start pinging various reservation desks based on your beta.

Ryan - say hello to Rossland for me. Bummed I won't be up there this winter, but hard to complain about a season in Euroland.
    "Girl, let us freak."

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    H-man hooked me up w/ a friend of his at a Hotel right in the center of town which was a great location, albeit more pricey than we normally pay.
    Hotel Moessmer.

Tell them you are a friend of mine. PM if you need more on who I am.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

St Anton:

Hotel Rundeck

Almost unbeatable location, new and modern, pretty reasonably priced. Spent some time there this fall for a wedding at was super impressed with the entire setup.

If you're looking a pension or B&B I'd recommend Haus Toni Marth. The owner is lovely and the set up is great.

Quote Originally Posted by ryank View Post
    Rusty,

Hit up Danielle at the Alpenrose in Zermatt. I stayed there for a couple hundred euro a night, had a room with a balcony that faced the Matterhorn - i woke up in the morning to see the Matterhorn out my window. Was cool.

http://www.alpenrose-zermatt.ch/
    I've stayed at the Alpenrose and would def reccomend it.

Not very close to the center, rooms are strange, but if you want to feel the large boobies of the 50+ silver fox in the Cellar Bar, have sex in a bed surrounded by four wooden walls, including a large wooden shelf that extends at mid-height so you don't have to see her face, and leave a room with blood all over the sheets, some of the carpet, a bloody handprint on a wall, the overhead faux chandelier lamp hanging three or four feet from the ceiling by a single wire, and have the room be immaculate upon your return from skiing, without a single question asked or eyebrow being raised:

Hotel Alpenhof.
    http://www.ski-arlberg.com/alpenhof/

get to the arlberg. go to pettnau right outside of st anton. knock on house number 49 or garnen 49. an old drunk man will answer the door. his name is joseph. show him a picture of me and he will lose his mind. stay there and find hubi (local guide) to show you around.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by H-man View Post
    Hotel Moessmer.

Tell them you are a friend of mine. PM if you need more on who I am.
    Seconded. I worked with Barbara at Mt Buller for a number of years. Great hotel and lovely family.