Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    AWD Sienna is nice, but it takes $250 run-flat tires.
    It has no spare. Dont get a flat.
    exactly, that's why I bought the front wheel drive Sienna. With snow tires its fine in the snow for most winter driving in Vermont.

I also heard that the tires that where original equipment around four years ago would occaisonally explode.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I'm still not convinced I want a VW anything and those are still way out of my budget for the Syncro version, but that's pretty cool.

The question now is:
    After dropping $1600 on getting my Suby back in perfect running order, do I sell her and pick up the relatively cherry AWD Previa I've got my eye on or do I keep the Suby?

Heart says minivan. Wallet/gas pump says Suby.
    Do you have kids or is this just a sleeping comfortably at the crags and trailheads rig?

syncros with a poptop are at a premium - but the hard top versions can still be found for cheap. I would defintely want the TDI or the subby engine swap if I was in a vanagon style.

I'm in a 99 VW Eurovan MV with the VR6. having space is nice.

This thing we've got in Europe seems to be about PERFECT! Not sure if you can get one overthere at the other side of the ocean...
    I'm really looking into buying one!!
    http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge....fetramper.html
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    Do you have kids or is this just a sleeping comfortably at the crags and trailheads rig?

syncros with a poptop are at a premium - but the hard top versions can still be found for cheap. I would defintely want the TDI or the subby engine swap if I was in a vanagon style.

I'm in a 99 VW Eurovan MV with the VR6. having space is nice.
    I have no kids that I know of, so this would be a "sleep comfortably at the crags/trailhead/roadtripping/surfing vehicle. Of course in reality it'd be a daily driver 99% of the time.

Considering where I am and what I'm doing right now I'm having ethical issues with purchasing a vehicle that is a pretty significant step down in performance and economy in every category except for the one that I'd use the least compared to my current ride.

Now I'm thinking I just need to get new summer tires for my Suby and maybe give her a bit of a detail so I can be happy for the next 60k. She did just get a nice tune-up and is purring sweetly according to the mechanic.

If anyone wants the info on what looks like a pretty killer low miles 97 le/sc all-trac Previa in Boulder, PM me and I'll send all the documentation so you can buy it and I don't have to.

[/cars of our lives]
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

the heart rarely says "minivan", I think you need to listen to it when it does.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

So a climbing buddy of mine lived in his previa pretty much full time in Bishop. He really had it setup pretty basic and loved the comfort and reliability.

As for the shitty gas milage, there are some things that can be done to improve gas milage but this isn't gonna fix the ultimate problem of BIG BOX ON WHEELS.
    - keeping tires a touch over inflated
    - take your passenger side mirror off
    - no roof racks
    - all extra seats come out
    - free breathing air filters
    - tune the engine
    - performance exhaust

ultimately the previa would make a solid daily driver - but if you've got a subby that's tuned up and road worthy, it would be very hard to suggest ditching it.

Those previa's are indestructible. Look to get around 300k out of that engine. Tons of room, and AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Those previa's are indestructible. Look to get around 300k out of that engine. Tons of room, and AWD.
    Ok I'll make you a deal. If it's still around when I get back from Hawaii in November, I'll... think about it some more.

The Bonin Petrels

Or do what I did:

Late 80's non-turbo diesel 5/4 ton pickup truck; D60 front with a posi, Corporate 14 bolt rear with a Detroit; 20k miles; new tires and all for under $4k. Slide in pop up camper in the rear is coming soon (under $1k). Gets right around 20mpg and will go absolutely anywhere.

Beat that. Sure it's not going to win any races, but it's indestructible, will last forever, and is a joke to work on. Satisfies my needs to a T.

Perfect ski/climbing car:

Volkswagen California Comfortline

All wheel drive, diesel. Sweet!!!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkVYxb8r-sU"]YouTube- VW California review[/nomedia]

http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge....mfortline.html

If they were available in the US, I would buy one tomorrow.

How fucking insulting is it that the "California" is not sold in the USA?

40k pounds?! that's a ton of coin for a minivan

I have an 87 Westy with a Subaru 2.2 conversion and it's great. I'm not sure how long ago you had your conversion, but today there's an entire cottage industry around subaru conversions for these things. The Small Car kit mentioned earlier is top notch and make for a very seamless conversion. My van's had the Suby for about 4 years now and there's never been a problem with it.

I love my van, but even with the newer japanese motor it's still a 23 year old vehicle. The reliability has been great, don't get me wrong, it's just lacking some of the modern conveniences. You can add cruise control pretty easily, and it already has power mirrors/windows, etc.. it's just not as tight or quiet as a newer Subaru is going to be. In a sense, these vans are great projects, but they'll always be a project in some way or another. I'm redoing the interior this winter and adding a lot of sound insulation to make it quieter, and I'd like to add a drop down tv screen. There's no end to what you can do with and to these things, but I'm finding that I'm lining up one project right after another. It's kind of an addiction It's a great adventure rig, but there are times I'm glad to have a 'normal' car as well.

Here's my van during a biking trip to Hood River, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Cool conversion, in concept. Hope it works out for you. I seriously looked at doing it. But my experience with Westy conversions was a sad and very expensive tale of woe. I had a Westy, originally diesel, converted to a 1.8L Golf engine, EFI. Sweet when it worked, but a completely fucked up situation when it broke down. And that happened way too often. After the first two seasons of use, it became a fuckin' money pit and constant source of anxiety.

I replaced the converted Westy POS with a Four Wheel Camper on a 4x4 F150, which has been essentially trouble-free for 7 years/30K/many comfortable nights. I more than make up for the decreased fuel efficiency (15mpg vs. 20mpg) by saving money on fixes -- by a factor of something around 50X, it seems.

I wish you the best with that, TroySmith80. AYO, beware any Westy conversion.

Or do what I did:

Late 80's non-turbo diesel 5/4 ton pickup truck; D60 front with a posi, Corporate 14 bolt rear with a Detroit; 20k miles; new tires and all for under $4k. Slide in pop up camper in the rear is coming soon (under $1k). Gets right around 20mpg and will go absolutely anywhere.

Beat that. Sure it's not going to win any races, but it's indestructible, will last forever, and is a joke to work on. Satisfies my needs to a T.
    What make/model truck did you get? Sounds like you got a solid deal on both the camper and truck.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    What make/model truck did you get? Sounds like you got a solid deal on both the camper and truck.
    1987 M1028 CUCV

1987 M1028 CUCV
    I have been seriously considering one of the CUCV Blazers, but the lack of AC kinda kills it for me (yes the wife and I are both pansies).

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I have been seriously considering one of the CUCV Blazers, but the lack of AC kinda kills it for me (yes the wife and I are both pansies).
    Plumb in one from a civy model.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    what about the Ford Transit Connect

I know the Transit Connect fails the OP's criteria by not having AWD or 4WD, but, no comment since you posted? Not sure why, is everyone in love with the Sprinter?
    Or are folks waiting 1-5 years for: the electric Transit Connect, the full-size Transit (coming to the US in 2013(?)), or for used vehicles to come on line?

After driving/parking a Sprinter, and then the Transit Connect, I'm definitely giving these a look with an eye on conversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAFTC View Post
    might not even suffer from quite as much beta release issues, since they're basically...
    From Wiki: "6 Million Transits have been produced since 1953 across three basic platforms with several 'facelift' versions of each.
    The 6 millionth van was created in the March 2010."

I would love a Transit connect if it was 4/awd and/or diesel and/or MT. I just poked around one for the first time the other day and it's definitely big enough, but not too big, for what I have in mind.

The other sad thing is the new Nissan vans that are coming in would be totally applicable if they were 4/awd and/or diesel and/or stick.

The Bonin Petrels

Am currently in FL so while here am spec'ing out Transit Connects, Sprinters, and E150 conversion vans (even looked at some Honda Elements). Many choices here now that the economy has tanked, and all these contractors have to dump their fleets. Plus, great condition on these SoFla rigs. Deals all over the place...

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ctd/1876267352.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1876166258.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1877593697.html

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Am currently in FL so while here am spec'ing out Transit Connects, Sprinters, and E150 conversion vans (even looked at some Honda Elements). Many choices here now that the economy has tanked, and all these contractors have to dump their fleets. Plus, great condition on these SoFla rigs. Deals all over the place...

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ctd/1876267352.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1876166258.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1877593697.html
    No kidding! I just left Key West yesterday, and there is a 2005 Legacy GT wagon for sale in town that I was drooling over. Hard to put it on my ship though.

The Bonin Petrels

Someone posted on TTips about Mahindra (indian company) starting to market diesel trucks in the states. Not great looking, but 4x4 diesel crew cab makes me happy.

http://www.mahindrana.com/indian-cars-and-trucks.html

1.3 ton towing, 30 mpg - only downside is no manual and shortbed.

^^^^ the Scorpio looks kind of interesting, except for the part about swapping the 5sp MT for the 6sp AT.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...a-scorpio1.htm

The Bonin Petrels

this should be posted here: [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197930"]the eCamper (honda element) now available for all models - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

tnx danno, I have to say that if I was looking for a do it all option -

Family Friendly
    Daily Driver
    AWD
    Reasonable Price
    Room to sleep 2

I would consider the eCamper

- but for the cost it really is hard to not just buy a mack'n 4 season tent. the eCamper doesn't get you much opportunity for comfortable chilling in it on a rainy day out in the sticks.

Not much love around here for the VW Eurovan, but I have the non-poptop version (way cheaper than the camper versions) and really dig it for the ease of overnight crashing.

My next investment will be in front passenger seat swivel and a propane buddy heater.