Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Chevy Astro AWD + GTRV conversion = North American Delica.

When I bought my Dodge Caravan I planned to use it as a camping rig but with 6" of ground clearance it's not a snow machine. Astro vans were nice units -- with body on frame construction -- so naturally GM gave up on them.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Shirk, shit man, i did NOT see that before i bought my westy. I don't like the full-size van campers because they're too expensive for the ones i like, but Astros are cheap... although i'm sure that conversion isn't. Still, if i could get the pop-top only, and build my own interior, that would be a sweet rig and without (most of) the problems of my 25 year old VW.

Hmm, GTRV website only shows full size vans. Maybe that's why i never saw this. Do you have links to more info?
    Last edited by TroySmith80; 12-07-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroySmith80 View Post
    Shirk, shit man, i did NOT see that before i bought my westy. I don't like the full-size van campers because they're too expensive for the ones i like, but Astros are cheap... although i'm sure that conversion isn't. Still, if i could get the pop-top only, and build my own interior, that would be a sweet rig and without (most of) the problems of my 25 year old VW.

Hmm, GTRV website only shows full size vans. Maybe that's why i never saw this. Do you have links to more info?
    I am also furiously searching for GTRV astro/safari and thinking we may be a few years too late for this party. Argh.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I am also furiously searching for GTRV astro/safari and thinking we may be a few years too late for this party. Argh.
    I was also looking for these a couple days ago. For this thread. I know some people with businesses that require Van+4WD they swear by these things. And they make the utility version without side windows. Seems perfect for what many are looking for? But they don't make them anymore??

HA I found them.
    2010 Chevrolet Express Cargo 1500
    http://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/express-cargo-1500/

Kind of a shame that they don't offer the new HHR panel with an AWD / 4WD option
    http://prod3.gmautobuilder.com/Build...2010&mmc=1AS26
    Last edited by MTT; 12-07-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Looks perfect but as soon as i saw it i knew they wouldn't be easy to come by, to perfect.
    Last edited by mountain_man; 12-07-2009 at 04:32 AM.
    I ski therefore I am.

AWD Sienna is nice, but it takes $250 run-flat tires.
    It has no spare. Dont get a flat.

I also have a Chevy Express AWD full size van and its pretty fricking good in snow and sand.
    Gets between 16-18mpg and has a huge cargo area you could build out.
    they started making them in 2006, so you coudl find one nice used.
    . . .

this robert morehead has some really nice designs for sprinters,

but here is one for the element

More Than 200 Design Pictures Here

Elementcombolg.JPG

Honda Element Camper

"What you wanted it to do when you bought it!"

No Modification to Vehicle, Sleeps 2 People (and 3 Dogs), Transport 4 People (or 2 People and 3 Dogs), Attaches to factory mount points.

Includes:

Locking Slide out Galley, Cooler, 2.5Gal Fresh and Waste Water Tank with Quick-connect, 12v water system with 4' Water Hose/Faucet (For Dishes, Kids, You, or Dog), Stainless Counter-top and sink, 12v Cargo Light, Full Size Air Mattress, 12v Air Pump, 12v aux outlet, Rear Tent.

Basic Economy Package (Pictured) starting at $1389.

Options and Upgrades. (Modifications may be necessary)

Custom Color: $200

Thermoelectric Fridge (powered while Driving or Shore Power): starting $200

Compressor Fridge (Requires Extra Capacity Battery or Shore Power): starting $850

Solar Systems: 6watt starting at $200

Side Awning (Mount to Rack or Cargo Cage): starting at $420

Roof Top Pop-up or Foldout Tent (Added Sleeping for 2-4): starting at $1899

Aux. Battery and Charging Systems: starting $500

Portable Stove: $37

Camp Furniture: Varies

I cant get the jpeg to upload
    but here is the link
    http://www.moreheaddesignlab.com/sit...entcombolg.JPG

he also does dodge caravans

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

That GTRV Westy is in the Sportsmobile arena for pricing, unfortunately.

hop - in case you haven't seen them, google "tiger astro van" and look at the Provan Tiger RVs. They're pop-top conversions on Astro chassis, but haven't been made since the late '80s or early '90s. Fairly cheap, and AWD ones are available.

Example:
    http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/index.../page11053.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There is a place in Denver that will put pop-up and hi-tops on any van for a pretty reasonable amount. Family Trucks and Vans usually has a fair amount of AWD astros. I'd own one if I didn't need a truck.

Foggy, any idea what that place in Denver is called?

The Bonin Petrels

AWD Sienna is nice, but it takes $250 run-flat tires.
    It has no spare. Dont get a flat.
    I think the Sienna at least has space for the spare. My BMW has RFT's, and no space for the donut spare and jack I keep in the back so I'm not fucked when I get a flat.

So, mileage is no big deal now since you're considering the van?

Yo hippy, I think it is Freewheel Mobility (303) 467-9981

Astros don't drive great but I've seen some pretty workable conversions for 1-2 people

Do some searching on Expedition Portal for T.Low. The guy with the Astro pictured above had the top put on here in Vancouver, he is from Bellingham. He bought the van used then did a bunch of mods. The interior pictured is from another van. There is a company in Quebec that does full conversions...or atleast has in the past. Don't have the time to go looking for it but either on astrosafari.com or Expedition Portal he gives a tone of useful links.

Buy a used fleet version of the AWD van for 5k then insulate and make a bed interior yourself. When you can find a pop top get one installed.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I think the Sienna at least has space for the spare. My BMW has RFT's, and no space for the donut spare and jack I keep in the back so I'm not fucked when I get a flat.

So, mileage is no big deal now since you're considering the van?
    Mileage is a big deal, but the fact remains that the "perfect" vehicle, aka one that fits all of the requirements that I had in my first post, just does not exist.

If I want to keep the same interior space then I'd just get another Suby, but I'd rather have more space. I think I'm willing to sacrifice a few MPG to gain the space, and I'd still rather have a van than a truck.

The Bonin Petrels

My friends in your predicament get full size vans and they don't mention mileage

These aren't cheap and the mileage can't be great... but if you you're looking for the perfect ski/surf ride (not car) these are hard to beat.

Check out their site, they make some killer vans.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

The SMB was already mentioned and rejected. Sick vans, but costly.

If I were you Hop, I would look at the newer AWD Chevy Expresses. They will have the power to get you up the mountains, probably get acceptable mileage, and have a little more interior room to build out. The building is the fun part, but make sure you are starting w/ a clean canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    The SMB was already mentioned and rejected. Sick vans, but costly.

If I were you Hop, I would look at the newer AWD Chevy Expresses. They will have the power to get you up the mountains, probably get acceptable mileage, and have a little more interior room to build out. The building is the fun part, but make sure you are starting w/ a clean canvas.
    I 3rd or 4th this sentiment. Think that AWD Express Van would be pretty sweet. I'm guessing here that it would be pretty easy to do a very small lift to that IFS front end (similar lift to the Astro pictured above) which would then allow that van to go pretty much anywhere you'd ever want to go within reason, rock in snow/ice and still be a great driver. Those things are big enough you the possibilities in the back end would be endless compared to any wagon, truck, Element.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

The problem with Express vans and Ford E-vans are that they're huge! This thing is going to be my only rig/daily driver with consistent use in SF. That's why I'm maxing out with a minivan-sized vehicle.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    The problem with Express vans and Ford E-vans are that they're huge! This thing is going to be my only rig/daily driver with consistent use in SF. That's why I'm maxing out with a minivan-sized vehicle.
    the Chevy Express 1500 is not (Hudge)? Its the same size as a short bed Chevy 1500 pick-up (About the same as the ASTRO VAN)
    Not small but hell you want 4WD and room to store your STUFF ans Sleep in it? Its got to be a certain size. ??
    Common dude get the big ass tricked out Van!! and ride the fuckin BART and bike around the gay area!

Or get another sissy AWD Subie. and spend the extra 20,000 on Motel rooms for the next couple years like the rest of us do!

Lots easier to find a woman who likes ROOM SERVICE) than those who will winter in a Van?

addon- since you are a Pro? Skier I would bet you could write off (TAXES) for allot of the price of a Fleet sized Van?

The old Astro van is a lot smaller than a pickup or full size van. Another cool mini-van was the Mazda MPV. AWD, good ground clearance, not too big. I think it's gone too.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

In the last 2 weeks I've been putting the finishing touches on my 2002 Honda CRV sleeper.

Basically I fold the back seats down, insert a 65" x 48" plywood panel into the back. 2 large plastic bins support the back - the folded down seats support the front.

Separately I have a 13"x48" panel that has two 22" 2x4 legs that fit in right behind the front seats when they are fully forward.

A little tongue and groove custom work was done and some hook & eye connections and BAMN. I've got a flat 6 1/2 foot by 4 foot platform... I picked up a 6" thick memory foam twin bed, Some reflectix to fill in the windows (spray painted black to be way less conspicuous). 2 big down blankets and I've got a crv-sleeper.

will post up some pix soon.

Please post pics.

But as you describe it, sounds like that setup requires all of that done before you leave the house? Or does the plywood break down in some way for shipping?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

So this is the new digs. I've since replaced the dual thema rests with this:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YY53GS/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Twin 4 Inch Foam Mattress Pad[/ame]
    Twin sized 4" thick mattress pad for $45 shipped from amazon. I might actually keep the thermarest's under the mattress for extra cushy sleeps.

Spray painted reflectix looks very much like an empty car with tinted windows.

I drilled a few big holes in the plywood and ran lockers to the anchor points inside the back via climbing webbing to keep it from flying off and killing me in an accident.

You can drive w/ the large piece in and have the front chairs pushed back all the way - but without use of the back seat. With a little engineering I'm almost certain I could cut the larger plywood and hinge it to fit in the 36" deep back area. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of making sure it was rigid.

I have about 5 more ideas for making it really swanky - but for now, this will have to do.