Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I thought the element was designed so that the front seats folded back (and the rear too) to make a bed. So that solves the sleeping issue (I think).

I thought the element was going to be my ideal car (throw on a T-2 and a hudge ski box and it became a mobile dirtbag home) but I ended up not fitting up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    and diesel is less money per volume too....
    diesels more expensive in WA than regular. Still a cool truck but the lack of support and extra purchase price make it much more a "lifestyle choice" than a practical vehicle..... and there are much cooler cars to have if you are getting into "lifestyle choice"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    diesels more expensive in WA than regular. Still a cool truck but the lack of support and extra purchase price make it much more a "lifestyle choice" than a practical vehicle..... and there are much cooler cars to have if you are getting into "lifestyle choice"
    Hugh Conway and I are on the same page, amazingly.

And that Element fold-down "bed" looks uncomfortable to say the least.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I was going to suggest the Sienna AWD, but you beat me to it.
    New one just released:
    http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/la-2...sienna-live/#6
    Last edited by plugboots; 12-02-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoop View Post
    I don’t get the blind love.
    Come back in 200,000 miles.

I still go back to the Sprinter. Not that i've driven one, or really looked in to it, or priced 'em of course, just seems like the right size vehicle with a lot of ways to rig it...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Hugh Conway and I are on the same page, amazingly.

And that Element fold-down "bed" looks uncomfortable to say the least.
    Yeah but it provides the sq footage to throw in an air mattress. I'd think of it more as "raised platform to put an air mattress on top and throw skis underneath" rather than a bed in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Westy is pretty awesome. I've got a 2.5 suby engine i'm prepping to put in. Should get around 18-24 mpg after the conversion. That's a 2WD though. Syncros (4WD) in the full-camper version are very hard to find, and very expensive. It is still occasionally possible to find someone who doesn't know what they're worth and has one for sale for just a few grand, but generally you should expect to pay $15K+ for one with the crap VW engine, or $20K+ for one with a good engine (usually subaru).

That's really not a bad price compared to a new rig, but it is NOT a new rig. Can't beat all the shit it has in such a small package though. I've been enjoying mine. Fun, weird little booger to drive too. If you do manage to get your hands on a syncro, they are VERY capable off-road.

I also like that i have a very comfortable bed, even without popping the top. I put tinfoil bubble-wrap in the windows and leave the top down and i can keep it warm inside when it's cold out. I'd be wary about winter camping in something with canvas walls. I mean, it's better than a tent, but i want some HEAT.

Bottom line though: It will always be a work-in-progress... a project. If you don't want that, get something made within the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    19.6 mpg and 23.52 mpg
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    That site is using imperial gallons, 1 UK Gallon=1.20095 US gallons

600km=372.8227 miles
    500km=310.6856 miles
    60L=15.85 US Gallons

310.6856/15.85=19.60 mpg
    372.8227/15.85=23.52 mpg

hop: What is keepy you away from just getting another Sub Legacy wagon? Bad mpg with a box big enough to fit your stuff or not enough interior space? I was driving an 06 yesterday and was reasonably impressed with the improvements over my 97, but not impressed with the luxury features and price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I was going to suggest the Sienna AWD, but you beat me to it.
    New one just released:
    http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/la-2...sienna-live/#6
    what kind of MPG does a sienna get?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    That site is using imperial gallons, 1 UK Gallon=1.20095 US gallons

600km=372.8227 miles
    500km=310.6856 miles
    60L=15.85 US Gallons

310.6856/15.85=19.60 mpg
    372.8227/15.85=23.52 mpg
    Ouch, my bad. Thanks for correcting, should have noticed that krp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    hop: What is keepy you away from just getting another Sub Legacy wagon? Bad mpg with a box big enough to fit your stuff or not enough interior space? I was driving an 06 yesterday and was reasonably impressed with the improvements over my 97, but not impressed with the luxury features and price increase.
    Nothing, really. A Legacy wagon is still probably the #1 choice but I would like more interior space for more roadtrip/campy comfort. I'm just not sure how much MPG I want to sacrifice for it. See below...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    what kind of MPG does a sienna get?
    AWD gets 16/22, so not better than a compact/midsize truck.

If I wanted to go bargain SUV there is an anally-maintained Mercedes ML320 in the extended family that's almost 10 years old with <70k miles, but I'm sure keeping up the maintenance on that thing would be significant.
    Last edited by hop; 12-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.

The Bonin Petrels

Yeah, hop, I keep wrestling with similar issues. I have a 15 year old truck that will need to be replaced sometime. I do like the off road capability of a truck, and at a minimum require 4wd/awd, but would love to get better than the 16-20mpg I get. While I can do better, it's not so much better that I am sure I am willing to give up all of the benefits a truck with a camper shell provide me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Definitely LOVE having the truck with the shell and sleeping platform. Gas mileage can suck when you're just running errands, back and forth to work, etc. but on road trips when we're hauling gear, poaching roadside camp spots & parking lots and carrying all the comforts of home as well as bike/ski/whatever sport specific gear we need....we don't think twice about gas mileage.

That being said, we could set up the tent, bring way less creature comforts and roll in a smaller car/wagon and certainly survive.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I still go back to the Sprinter. Not that i've driven one, or really looked in to it, or priced 'em of course, just seems like the right size vehicle with a lot of ways to rig it...
    I'm pretty jealous of Rosen's.
    Living vicariously through myself.

AFAIK Sprinters are only 4wd if you convert them. Now we're getting into Sportsmobile territory, which I certainly can't afford.

The Bonin Petrels

there's a sprinter AWD available in europe, but I don't think you can import it here if I remember correctly.

Have you looked into used sportsmobiles? Those things are fucking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    and diesel is less money per volume too....
    Diesel is HIGHER in the US for some reason.
    Delicas don't get very good fuel economy according to various user forums. I'm not even sure they're turbocharged.

My 1T Dodge with camper gets 15L/100km on the highway (that's 16mpgUS or 19mpgCDN). I'd say a small pickup (like a Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier) with a popup camper is the best alternative. Even with a gas engine.

I'm not a fan of Honda's AWD system. It's not meant for full time operation or highway speeds. Early versions didn't even give you a choice -- the computer decides when to engage the rear wheels. Newer versions added a switch but it's still only low speeds.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    I'm not a fan of Honda's AWD system. It's not meant for full time operation or highway speeds. Early versions didn't even give you a choice -- the computer decides when to engage the rear wheels. Newer versions added a switch but it's still only low speeds.
    I think you're wrong. The car runs in front wheel drive unless wheel slip is detected by the computer then it automatically engages rear wheels. It's an all-wheel drive system but not as nice or smooth as Suby or Audi. Taken from Honda website: The Real Time™ 4WD system engages for maximum tire grip when slippage is detected. This is a hydraulically actuated system that operates only when front-wheel slippage occurs, helping you through tricky terrain.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Most AWD systems (Subaru, Toyota, Audi, Jeep) provide power to all four wheels all the time. Simple systems go 50/50 and more advanced systems can slide the power around with a viscous coupling in the center diff. Honda's system seems to be a computer controlled 2/4WD (not AWD) system. Honda is pretty vague about the mechanical system unlike Subaru which has four different AWD systems and likes to show them off.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Yeah you're definitely right...guess I was questioning if there was actually a "switch" to engage at the drivers discretion as I thought you were implying in you're first post. That seems like it would better than the current RealTime system they have that operates as you describe above.

My mom had a CRV back when they first came out and that thing sucked compared to any Suby I've owned or Audi I'd driven.

To the OP sorry for sidetracking the thread, carry on!

Chevy Astro/GMC Safari panel van AWD. You can get these cheap, mileage is around 20mpg, a little less than you would like but you can live in them. I am trying to convince my wife to let me get one so I can dirtbag it skiing and we can car camp for her craft fairs in places where we don't want to pay for a hotel. Still working on that one.

http://www.astrosafari.com/

http://www.astrosafarivans.com/

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Yeah you're definitely right...guess I was questioning if there was actually a "switch" to engage at the drivers discretion as I thought you were implying in you're first post. That seems like it would better than the current RealTime system they have that operates as you describe above.

My mom had a CRV back when they first came out and that thing sucked compared to any Suby I've owned or Audi I'd driven.

To the OP sorry for sidetracking the thread, carry on!

I think it is relevant in the Element uses the same AWD system!

My wife has a CRV with AWD and I can tell you it is an adventure driving that thing in the snow. The car literally slips each time you press the gas. It is not an insignificant slip either. The AWD doesn't seem to stay on when you let off the gas...if you let off the gas the wheels have to slip again before it kicks in. To be fair, I have never actually spun it out but man it is not confidence inspiring at all!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

I was struggling with your same question earlier this year. The problem I kept running into is there's nothing out there that fits all of your/my criteria. Every choice thrown out in this thread is a compromise, in one way or another. The Element pop top is ok, but really only provides a place to sleep, and you can't walk around in it even with the top popped. The truck campers are a pretty good option but people hauling can be a problem, and you cant get to the camper without getting out and walking around back.

I ended up getting a Westfalia with a Subaru engine conversion and new tranny. Its still an older vehicle, and I expect to have to do maintenance on it, but it's pretty simple to work on. I paid 12.5 and that was a good deal.