Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mild, Medium, Hot or Thai Hot

Went to a pretty tasty Thai restaurant that we used to frequent last night. Ordered the drunken noodles and when the girl asked the heat level, I told her to make it authentic. I'd done "Thai Hot" once before, but I felt like they held back to save me from my gringo self. So, last night I insisted she tell the cooks not to hold back...lay it on me.

Know what? It was amazing. Sure, it was spicy as hell, but holy shit it was tasty. It's not like the token Ass Blaster, 11, Insane-O wings at the hot wing joints where they load so much heat that the wings taste like a chemical spill. This was just good flavor, better than the toned down stuff I've been ordering. The peppers or whatever they put in it really added to the flavor. I highly recommend giving it a shot.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

...and the snot coming out of your nose mixes just great with the peppers.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Your poop today will be fun.

Hottest food I've ever had was African, second hottest was Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    that's your sinuses opening up to draw in more flavor - most of taste is perceived through scent.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Hugh Conway Guest
    See if you can find a Chinese place that serves Szechuan food and ask for it Chinese hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    See if you can find a Chinese place that serves Szechuan food and ask for it Chinese hot.
    Funny you mention that. The guy in the office next to me is Chinese and he said the same thing. Said a Szechuan restaurant just opened up the road that's 'authentic' and really spicy. Gonna have to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    second hottest was Indian.
    after i was in india for a while and thought i was hot shit when it came to spicy food i ate with the hotel workers. worst.idea.ever.

not all thai food needs to be thai hot to be good (like Tom kha kai)
    some thai food NEEDS to be thai hot to be good (like Kaeng khae aka gaeng paa)

In the end, its all about balance.
    It needs Heat to balance the sweet, salty, sour and bitter.

thats all i have to say

ive had some authentic sechuan at a sechuan only place
    some authentic thai that was damn hot
    but nothing has yet taken the cake over the phaal i had at an indian place.
    it was so hot yet so freaking good.

RING STING

Hottest ever = Thai tom yum, in Chiang Mai.

HOLY RING STING, SHAT-MAN !!!

EDIT: Definition 1 & 2, only.
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 12-01-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Clarity

Have you ever tried "Indian hot" you ass will bleed for a week.

Hottest thing I ever had was an Indian dish at an Indian restaurant in Corfu, Greece. Weird, I know. It was so hot that I got drunk off one beer, like fall down drunk. I also ate 3 baskets of Naan.

The local Thai place makes a Basil Fried Rice that is awesome. I tell the owner to make it as hot as he eats it. He grows his own Thai peppers, and has told me he hardly ever gets to sue them. They are the perfect blend of scorch and flavor.

My wife took a bite once, spit it out, and then asked me what was wrong with me.

Did thia hot in northern thailand, I am man enough to say I hope to never go that thai hot again. Hot is great, not having any taste buds survive is not.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Every few weeks my buddy and I get "Indian Hot" at the local place. It's always a delicate balance of entree/naan/mango lassi. Authentic heat is good stuff, just have to remember to eat slower than normal and have lots of heat absorbing food items as sides.

I've tried the "Indian Hot" at a couple local places, but the responses in this thread have me thinking they're holding out. It could be because we don't have any truly authentic Indian restaurants here*, but there are authentic Indians working at the places we do have, so I imagine they've got the necessary ingredients/chops to do it up right.

*At least anywhere that serves something other than the typical saucy Masala, Korma, etc. dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Hottest food I've ever had was African.
    East African per chance? Ethopian food has some blazers.

Tipp <3 t3h cock and food
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    But watching the sweat drip down your face while trying to hold a conversation is a bit distracting.

Nope - west african. There some Senegalese dish with Chicken, peanut butter, and chiles that just killed me. Also had a dish from Sierra Leone last friday that was made with Casava leaf, chicken and Scotch Bonnets. At least the dude made a second version with "only" asian peppers that was palatable for the ladies (and me... I'm not proud.)

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I've tried the "Indian Hot" at a couple local places, but the responses in this thread have me thinking they're holding out. It could be because we don't have any truly authentic Indian restaurants here*, but there are authentic Indians working at the places we do have, so I imagine they've got the necessary ingredients/chops to do it up right.

*At least anywhere that serves something other than the typical saucy Masala, Korma, etc. dishes.
    Try finding a South Indian or Sri Lankan place. Should be hot and well spiced. Hotter than the North Indian cuisine that's normally sold as Indian food, where some of that like Korma is "supposed" to be a sweet (not spicy). The hot North Indian stuff I got in India was just mouth burning but no flavour.

There's some spicy/sour red Thai fish soup (not Tom Yum) that's freakin' awesome and the spiceiest Thai food I've ever had but it still doesn't compare to Szechuan. That shit's hot

Kind of interesting that most of the 'heat' in various central and east asian cuisines comes from chili peppers, which didn't arrive in the region until the 1500's. Wonder what their cuisines looked like before then?
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    But watching the sweat drip down your face while trying to hold a conversation is a bit distracting.
    I'll have to keep that in mind.

Note to self: Bring a headband.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Yeah hot is good. Got to be tasty good, not hot for hots sake.

When I was in Bolivia I would order spicy dishes and they would size me up as a gringo and warn me that it was hot. I said I know, I like hot food, and some times I swear, they were in the kitchen saying "that gringo wants hot? We'll give him some HOT!" But always tasty. FWIW, I had some HOT homemade tacos for dinner tonight. 4 tacos, three glasses of water. YUM
    sigless.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wcf3 View Post
    Kind of interesting that most of the 'heat' in various central and east asian cuisines comes from chili peppers, which didn't arrive in the region until the 1500's. Wonder what their cuisines looked like before then?
    dahl and rice? They still use some of this stuff [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_pepper[/ame] and the Green Peppercorn (which is fucking awesome)

I thought this thread would be about something else- http://hotthaigirls.blogspot.com/sea...20Thai%20Girls

Thai-hot = double burn for me
    I kinda like it once in a while. Cathartic and awakening.

edit: who's got a legit-ish Chinese joint in Denver?