Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WestCoastPDR Guest

Where is the "Greatest Snow On Earth"

Utah claims the "Greatest Snow On Earth" for their ski utah license plate but where the hell is it?

"Alaska is all about the velvet........you don't get that anywhere else." -Doug Coombs

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    "Alaska is all about the velvet........you don't get that anywhere else." -Doug Coombs

Case closed.
    I adore velvet!

But my time is going to Alta this year and I have high expectations for choking blower pow.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Variety is the spice of life. There are so many diferent kinds of snow and they all feel sooo good. From cold smoke to whipped butter, velvet to corn that is groomed by god. The best is what you are shredding at any given moment.

A few seconds of cold smoke for ya.
    [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/7942350"]http://www.vimeo.com/7942350[/ame]
    Last edited by revitup; 12-03-2009 at 10:26 PM.

The Himalaya.

Middle to eastern British Columbia and western Alberta. The snow comes down dry and it stays that way because of the limited sunlight hours and the cold temperatures. Untouched pow at Kicking Horse that is four days old is just about as good as if it was fresh, even on the southern exposures.

Utah 678
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Utah 678
    I moved back out here on the 5th and it's been snowing since.

You're welcome Utah.

Now lets go fuckin' skiing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Dude its been the best for like ever and stuff, now give me your tots
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Niseko, Japan???

Case closed.

Amen Doug!
    Lived in Utah most all of my life (born in Alaska) and when I go powder skiing there [AK] it is INSANE deep and the density is ridiculously light and the quantity can't be compared. ie: one night it snowed 8' in valdez and the snow was 0% density and the flakes were 3" in diameter. They call it hero snow for a reason.

Utah though is the greatest snow on earth because it is consistent, we can enjoy longer days (winter) and it is consistent.

Heck!!! I heart Powder no matter where it is. Powder to the People. So no matter where you are and no mattter what snow you are skiing - IT is the greatest snow on earth.

one night it snowed 8' in valdez and the snow was 0% density and the flakes were 3" in diameter. They call it hero snow for a reason.
    I don't know about that. But as of this morning they have gotten over 4' in town and this storm has been cooling off the last 12hrs.
    We had 4' fresh at the base of Mt Eyak yesterday and it's cooled off and snowed all night. I am expecting close to 6' of fresh today. Personaly I like the velvety stuff hard to go steep when it's this deep. Anyway greatest snow on earth today will probably be Cordova, Mt Eyak.
    just saw in the Daily News Valdez is claiming 68" no mention of the 0 density.
    off your knees Louie

Hugh Conway Guest
    I'm curious how this 0% density snow works.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Digitally on the interwebz.

Utah would be some of the best snow on earth, if even the backcountry there didn't get skied out faster than a bunch of the in bounds skiing at other areas.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

The $1,000,000 Question:

Where is the greatest snow on earth?

A) Utah B) Alaska

C) Chamonix D) Wherever it is snowing, most.

The Answer Regis, is D, wherever it is snowing most.

final answer?

Yes, final answer.

We have the best stumps, dirt, grass, and rocks here in CO at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by SPREAD EAGLE View Post
    ie: one night it snowed 8' in valdez and the snow was 0% density and the flakes were 3" in diameter. They call it hero snow for a reason.
    0% huh? yeah right. oh, and i think you mean "zero snow".

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    the only problem with 0% density snow is that you need an infinitely wide ski for proper flotation.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    the only problem with 0% density snow is that you need an infinitely wide ski for proper flotation.
    I called the guy from 333, he is working on my custom infinitely wide ski at the moment. so GFYS, I will dominate this 0% density snow. on my 333's.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    yesterday we found the greatest snow just off the gwb... and thats nothing to wave a finger moustache at.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

latest visit to Wolf creek

I just got back from Wolf Creek. I have a season pass at Winter park be we just don't have much snow as of yet. We got about 7 inches recently but I received a notice that wolf creek got 50"+ from the same storm and 100% of the mountain was open. So we made the trek, Took us about 4 hours from Denver. The following morning (Saturday the 19th) we went straight to the chutes and dropped in. Even if they haven't had snow for about 4 days, Excellent snow! A bit broken but not hard. this was my first time there and even the heavily traveled bottom never got icy. One big observation I feel compelled to report is that the area is cluttered with runs that are marked as black and double black
    diamond runs. Now, I don't consider myself an extreme skier by any means but these runs were nowhere close to being that difficult. maby if it were glazed over with frozen broken snow? Whatever the case, If you want to get away from the crowds, check this place next time and prepare to hike a bit.
    in time of peace, prepare for war....

Gotta throw a vote for the Boat. It usually snows a bunch; it’s a true Continental snow pack with densities in the 3s not to uncommon.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    0% huh? yeah right. oh, and i think you mean "zero snow".
    the fresh zero density is what makes the chugach epic for sure

Northern San Juans (CO) for sure. Bout as blower as it gets, lots of it, generally fucking frigid so the snow keeps, and no one skis it, just gotta be willing to slap on the skins and work for your turns. And I forgot to mention, the sickest terrain in the lower 48.

the interior of BC where it never goes above zero and you can find untouched blower 2 weeks later.