Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    whats all this best opening day bologna. Don't you remember last year?! Mr.K all day and the failing Swift Current lift! that was good times.

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    The mountain is skiing so well right now. The bowl has been killing it. Liberty opened yesterday, and they got the Big open today, although they shut it down after my buddy and I went through at 1pm, so I don't know what the plan is for that. The top is pretty firm, so, yeah. Liberty is really fun, but middle road is long. It felt so great to be up top again though. It also felt really good to be here again:

fuck you! but seriously fuck me! just got back from freak week.sounds like you went down with my buddy eric who was single because i pussed out. his story and your pic has me kicking myself. it just looked kind of ugly from the tram ride up and i didn't like the idea of committing before getting a chance to look down it. and i'm a big fat puss.

but we did score some good sidecountry pow although as it turns out we were kind of poaching a bit. so i get another

pics a bit later.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Tram already Soo Jealous!! I dont know wtf i moved back to truckee.
    Umm, Silverado, Palisades, Broken arrow?

some pics from freak week at big sky.

ummmm, sorry, but, no fucking way

heading out of bounds, we mistakenly went out through the in door, which worked out for us since we were in search of low angle meadow skipping pow turns. patrol was not nearly as impressed.

one bowl over we found what we were looking for, but it was guarded by these guys. i had no idea there were polar bears in montucky

more low angle ankle deep

then a little steeper

and finally a bit deeper

overall, it was like this

fin

Good work Powdork. I saw your tracks down Dakota after a HIDEOUS run down liberty the day after they opened that and I was really jealous. Must have made the drive worth it for you guys.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Nice pics powdork.
    You're basically placing russian roulette, but it seems like you came out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    You're basically placing russian roulette, but it seems like you came out alright.
    yeah, if those skis fell, we woulda lost our deposit for sure.

A VERY COLD ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL REMAIN OVER THE REGION THROUGH AT
    LEAST TUESDAY NIGHT. LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT ARE FORECAST TO
    RANGE FROM THE TEENS BELOW TO THE TWENTIES BELOW ZERO WITH A FEW
    LOCATIONS...MAINLY HIGHER ELEVATION MOUNTAIN VALLEYS...SEEING
    OVERNIGHT LOW TEMPERATURES COLDER THAN THIRTY DEGREES BELOW ZERO.
    DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL GENERALLY REMAIN SLIGHTLY BELOW ZERO
    AS WELL THROUGH TUESDAY
    Stay left.

it was cold this morning. a lift is open now so im going to go freeze because it's fun...
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

I'm curious if anyone can recommend a clean accommodation for a decent price since I want to make a trip out to Big this year...

TIA

the stillwater had a 3rd night free thing when we went that was only available when calling them directly. over 4 nights it worked out to $120/night including fees. it would have slept 5 with someone on the couch. very close to lifts but not ski out.

Whitewater Inn is 8miles from the base, but closer to the nightlife/meadow. Call reservations directly like powdork did and see if they have any deals cooking.
    Stay left.

real good skiing on challenger today. hopefully the tram will open tomorrow
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

inbounds slide this weekend? Let's all keep our heads on a swivel. Just spoke to my wife who spoke to a few close friends caught in it. Not sure of the details, but it sounds like 1 person broke his leg, and many others walked away.
    Southern Gallatins and Maddisons are under an avalanche warning.

Be careful out there!

Any other details would be appreciated.
    ""wash uffize drive me to firenze".

Quote Originally Posted by benDover View Post
    inbounds slide this weekend? Let's all keep our heads on a swivel. Just spoke to my wife who spoke to a few close friends caught in it. Not sure of the details, but it sounds like 1 person broke his leg, and many others walked away.
    Southern Gallatins and Maddisons are under an avalanche warning.

Be careful out there!

Any other details would be appreciated.

heard the same. not sure of details, but 2 buried, 1 broken leg. read up folks!

http://www.mtavalanche.com/advisory
    boy man god shit

Updated: None buried, one bruised knee.

First day Lenin was officially open.

One of my staff members was skiing on his day off and triggered the slide. 2' deep, he took about a 1000 vert. foot ride. Shaken a bit but otherwise o.k.

The snow is starting to accumulate on a pretty fragile base, wear your beacon in bounds and watch your ass.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

is it me or does Big Sky have too many inbounds avys?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

It's good that everyone came out relatively unscathed. I doubt there's anything much more exhilarating than riding a two foot slab out of Otter. Fuck That.

I wouldn't expect patrol to rush into opening anything tomorrow, so there might be a nice long wait for the triple in the morning. Rice Bowl awaits..
    Stay left.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleventy View Post
    Rice Bowl awaits..
    I'm green with envy.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    is it me or does Big Sky have too many inbounds avys?

Any is too many, but that isn't reality.

IMHO, the avalanche terrain that the Big Sky patrol has to manage is as difficult as any, anywhere in the US. Every aspect, every shape and type of slide path, above and below treeline etc. Enough to give a Snow Safety Dir. nightmares.

Add in the wind and a traditionally weak continental snow pack and mix with a whole cadre of locals who get after it even when the areas are barely skiable and you will have people interacting with avalanches.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

lenin

We skied lenin right before it slid. Freaky. Real nice turns tho. Wear your beacon. Know how to use it too while you're at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Any is too many, but that isn't reality.

IMHO, the avalanche terrain that the Big Sky patrol has to manage is as difficult as any, anywhere in the US. Every aspect, every shape and type of slide path, above and below treeline etc. Enough to give a Snow Safety Dir. nightmares.

Add in the wind and a traditionally weak continental snow pack and mix with a whole cadre of locals who get after it even when the areas are barely skiable and you will have people interacting with avalanches.
    Quoted for truth.

Those guys bust their asses for the masses.

Big vibes to the patroller at the Club who took the ride down Stein's two days ago.. Didn't hear about it until I got to work.. Combative (but at least responsive) on scene, and word is that she's stable and smiling after a flight to Billings. Good Luck...
    Stay left.