Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How was Big Sky today?

????????????
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

pretttyy good, pretty good...especially for an opening day. defininetly got some pow runs in so i cant complain about that. some pretty decent snow on challenger early. although we traversed under the challenger lift somewhere around 17 green and big rock tounge (not all that familiar with the mountain) and we were just about to drop into some really nice snow when this ski partol lady shows up to tell us its closed. well there was no sign telling us that anywhere in the vacinity before we did the traverse (and saw others skiing there). then when we got to our intended location since the closed sign was below me and off to a different area than my intended route i tried being clever with the patroler by saying "oh its ok im going around to the right here." She was not amused, actually was kind of a bitch about. then she moved the sign to a more appropriate location. also she made us turn around basically and go down a rock field instead. didnt really make much since. i wasnt trying to ski in a closed location, there was just nothing that indicated it was that area that was closed.

also some real good lines with pretty nice snow off the turkey traverse, how appropriate.

ripped up some groomers to cap off the day and get back into the motions.

all in all id say it was a great day. I hit a number of rocks, as to be expected, but didnt really do any damage. great to be out skiing again and a good way to spend thanksgiving. im exhausted and my legs feel pretty worked.

Sounds good! I personally wouldn't mess with a closed area early season on challenger, there are bound to be sharks lurking... sucks you got sent into another rock field though
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    and we were just about to drop into some really nice snow when this ski partol lady shows up to tell us its closed. well there was no sign telling us that anywhere in the vacinity before we did the traverse (and saw others skiing there). then when we got to our intended location since the closed sign was below me and off to a different area than my intended route i tried being clever with the patroler by saying "oh its ok im going around to the right here." She was not amused, actually was kind of a bitch about.
    yeah, but was she hot? pics? did you tell her i'll be there tuesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77
    and we were just about to drop into some really nice snow when this ski partol lady shows up to tell us its closed. well there was no sign telling us that anywhere in the vacinity before we did the traverse (and saw others skiing there). then when we got to our intended location since the closed sign was below me and off to a different area than my intended route i tried being clever with the patroler by saying "oh its ok im going around to the right here." She was not amused, actually was kind of a bitch about.

Funny shit. I was riding Challenger and watched the exchange. She was being a bitch and yelling pretty good too. The area you were going to ski would have pretty well ruined your skis FYI. 17 Green takes a good deal more coverage to be skiable so she did you a favor, but she could have been way nicer about it.

Yesterday was a pretty good opener, excellent coverage on most everything (Freq. week will take care of that) and lots of old friends out on a lovely day.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Funny shit. I was riding Challenger and watched the exchange. She was being a bitch and yelling pretty good too. The area you were going to ski would have pretty well ruined your skis FYI. 17 Green takes a good deal more coverage to be skiable so she did you a favor, but she could have been way nicer about it.

Yesterday was a pretty good opener, excellent coverage on most everything (Freq. week will take care of that) and lots of old friends out on a lovely day.
    well, we werent going to ski 17 green per se. more so a means to get to the st alphonse area. the guy behind us - as we were certainly not the only ones to make this mistake - said he did it the run before and it was nice. I could definetly see though how it was probably a real small window of a skiable area with plenty of rocks lurking below the surface.

never have i felt the powder burn in my legs on an opening day like i did yesterday. was in the first string of chairs to get to the bowl. it was money. creamy boot deep. tad bit heavy. lobo had a crap load of snow on it. buffalo jump was litterally pushing thigh deep in spots. it was insane. fresh tracks off the far end of the turkey traverse at 1 pm. huge grin plastered to my face all day.

Tate

The ol' lady on Mr K (not bad for a 54 year old from South Africa - Never saw snow till she was 26)

The boys said some of the runs off Challenger were sweet. Turkey Traverse kicked some ass.

Spent a good portion of the day on Mr K, mentoring the wifey. Was sweet never the less! Going up next Friday, hope it snows some more.....
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

That last pictures is pretty sweet, the peak looks like its looming right behind her.

Challenger and the Bowl? I hate all of you. First day on Monday.. until then, fuck off.
    Stay left.

Smile

Best opener evaaaaaaaaa.......!

**liberty and the big tomorrow?!?!?!**

is the tram open?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    is the hot-tub open?
    Fixed it for ya... And I can only hope it will be open for $20 tickets this Friday.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Tram is supposed to open today. I was on the summit yesterday (working on our building) and the BS Patrol was getting ready for Liberty only and the Big Cooler today.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Any reports from today? Thinking of heading up for a few hours in the AM.

I get to go tomooooorrrrow!!!! er, I mean, Today!!!!!! YAy!!!!!!! Big Sky! Horraay!

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Tram is supposed to open today. I was on the summit yesterday (working on our building) and the BS Patrol was getting ready for Liberty only and the Big Cooler today.
    I love it. The big cooler is always in.

Liberty yesterday.. not too rocky and pretty creamy, but damn, Middle road can be l-o-n-g. Couloir today, didn't ski it but it was closed by 1:30 anyway. It is damn skinny above and near the cheese grater.

Gunmount's been good, the stashes and parts of challenger are skiing well if you know where the rocks are and aren't. We need snow. Effin cold today too.
    Stay left.

Tram already Soo Jealous!! I dont know wtf i moved back to truckee. Any word on moonlight how are the headwaters filling in this year. Might have to make a trip up soon

The mountain is skiing so well right now. The bowl has been killing it. Liberty opened yesterday, and they got the Big open today, although they shut it down after my buddy and I went through at 1pm, so I don't know what the plan is for that. The top is pretty firm, so, yeah. Liberty is really fun, but middle road is long. It felt so great to be up top again though. It also felt really good to be here again:

I think the potato gun proved the stability.

i wondered how Big was skiing. I saw a patroller go down around noon and wondered if/when they were opening it.

Yeah, 3 groups got sent through, I think. Something like that. Top was real firm and you had to really think about where you turned, but the bottom was $$$, as usual. So stoked to get in it today, it has been such a great season so far, and it's not even a week old. Very thankful for my place in life..
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

That is a good place to be.. I always love how tiny Andesite looks from the peak. Although I am anxious to ski over there too...
    Stay left.

anyone else going for $20 lift ticket day tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    anyone else going for $20 lift ticket day tomorrow?
    Yes...........
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.