Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which booster strap?

Need to replace the worn out ones on my Kryptons. I see that they now offer the Race & Freeride models. I guessing the Race model has an extra elastic layer in them. I'm 200lb's and trying to decide which one to get. Anyone tried the Race and the Freeride? Inquiring minds want to know.

I would reccomend the expert model. It has three elastic bands and enought support for a 200lb skier. The world cup model adds a solid nylon strap inside the three straps to firm up the flex and most people end up cutting the nylon it after trying for a few days. Save yourself a few buck and get the expert model and be happy skiing with less shin bang.

I'd go with expert as well, world cup is pretty burly no matter how sick you are, the nylon adds a shit load of support that I've never found necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Hmm ... this is good to know. I've had the expert version forever, and been thinking that I'd upgrade to the WC because if the expert is this good the WC must be that much better. But, it sounds like there can be too much of a good thing.

I don't spend 100% of my time in the gates so it makes sense that the WC would be overkill.
    Who cares how the crow flies

I just got the Intermediate for my touring boots, but am swapping it for the Expert .. there's a chart on the back of the Booster straps that lists weight / ability and I'm guessing most of us fall into Expert.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Another vote for the Expert model

I have the Expert, they didn't make the race model at he time. I think the key to what makes them great is the fact that they flex some. With a nylon layer you would lose that.

I have the expert model and it seems to work well.

I haven't used any of the other models though. However, with the amount of support that the expert adds, I can't see you needing more.

Another expert user here.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

Is it bad that I can't tell the difference between a booster strap and a normal velcro powerstrap?

What exactly am I supposed to feel?

I've tried them on T1, T-race, TX-comp, TX-pro, and Spirit 4.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

i notice a HUGE difference. when i crank a powerstrap down real tight, meh. but when i really crank down the booster, it just sucks the tongue right against your foot and eliminates any space for shin bang or pain there. haven't been able to ski without pain without a booster strap for years.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Is it bad that I can't tell the difference between a booster strap and a normal velcro powerstrap?

Are your normal velcro powerstraps still in usable shape? (Assuming "normal velcro powerstrap" is the strap that comes with the boot, right?) I have T1s with probably about 100 days on them or so but the velcro is pretty useless right now.

Is it possible to take out the old strap from the boot and replace it with the booster strap?

Thanks.

-fool

Who wants my booster straps? They're the 2 neoprene rubber model - don't know what that makes them. Freeride? Let's call it 35 shipped each. Not used much as I'd stuck them on touring boots and never bothered tightening them up

Does anyone know which version (WC, Expert,...) of the Booster strap is the one on Scarpa Race Boots (also sold seperately here)?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by markwough View Post
    I recently got some new boots, and I am hoping to dull my shin pain by putting some booster straps on em....The shop said they would install them for me for 15$, but that is 15$ too much for my liking....The only part that I am not sure about, is how to but the screw through the nylon strap in the back of the boot...I feel if i just puncture it with the screw, or a knife, the nylon will frey...

Any suggestions?
    heat up a thin metal rod of some sort (I used a awl) with a blow torch and pierce the nylon straps in the correct places for the new screw holes. It melts the edges so they don't frey. It takes less than 5 min to do both straps.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

If you have a soldering iron with a crappy bit, that works too.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by ACHTUNG View Post
    in the correct places
    this is the key or you end up running around with the fancy BOOSTER logo upside down. not nearly so core.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    this is the key or you end up running around with the fancy BOOSTER logo upside down. not nearly so core.
    Quoted for the truth. Take the time and line the straps up right where you want them with the boot on your foot. Mark where the screw holes are before melting the holes. I almost had them totally miss-aligned the first time I did this. I'm glad I checked twice with the boot on my foot before poking the holes.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by rasi View Post
    Does anyone know which version (WC, Expert,...) of the Booster strap is the one on Scarpa Race Boots (also sold seperately here)?
    Thanks.
    To answer my own question: It's the standard Booster with two rubber bands.
    The shop guy thought I was nuts when I asked this question on the phone and put me into the queue for 15 minutes.

10 years ago I got some Dakine "booster type" straps which are just a couple of pieces of 2" webbing with double velcro and they work great but you do have to tighten them just right or they will eitehr do nothing or hurt

I use the booster with the neoprene front, no idea which version. I've used it for the past 3 seasons and won't ski without one again. I'll second the overcrank pain thing. There is a fine line between just right and "damn, my leg hurts!"

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post

I'm not feeling too much of a difference either (T1s, T2xs); the one thing I have noticed is the lack of bruising/pain when I used to suddenly accelerate forward and smash into the un-flexible stock strap. It's nice to have the slight stretchy give for my tender, old/blue-veined chicken legs.

Call me a heretic but...

I don't see the need to rivet or otherwise permanently affix the straps to your boots. I have not done so and I can move the strap from tele to alpine to AT boots. Even if I had a pair for each pair of boots I would not bother

Being able to move the straps from one boot to another is good reason not to mount them, but swapping makes sense too, because really, do you need both of them? I just swapped out the straps on my Axons for expert Boosters and they feel damn good. I was thinking about swapping out the Garmont tongues with Dalbellos, but the booster strap accomplished everything I was hoping for in terms of modifying the flex and feel of the upper cuff.

Do these things wear out? I've got at least 200 days on mine (expert) and I'm thinking maybe they've lost some of their recoil.