Thread: Jumbo Glacier

Jumbo Glacier

Anyone skied there ?

Heading out next week for a week to explore before it becomes a resort. Looking for some beta concerning routes and lines. We were thinking of hitting Comander Glacier and maybe try and summit Jumbo for kicks.

When I get ski pics I'll post till then I love checking in here whenever I get the chance. Thanks for keeping the stoke alive.
    Y sigue la Fiesta

PM JR, there is a good chance he has been up there and could give you thelowdown.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I was at the Spillamacheen glacier north of Jumbo a few weeks ago and it was absolutly terrifingly dangerous. Large crevasses were weakly covered with the new snow from this season and as a result snow bridges were weak.

It was like playing russian roulette even though we had a four member team roped together. did not feel confident ever. Just wanted to get off this thing as holes broke into the abyss often upon travel. No new snow since then so watch out!!

There is very minimal snow in the area due to the past 3 weeks of dry hot weather . As a result the few centimetres we did get has been wind sweeped and deposited into the multitude of cravases lining the remote nature of this terrain. Crevases are now thinly covered with weak snow bridges.

I would advise to wait till it starts snowing again.

Other than that the area is highly remote and the glaciers are very broken up. Advised only for experienced mountainers with glacial experience and crevase rescue skills.

Check google.ca and put in Jumbo Glacier for more info and pics of the terrain
    Last edited by teamdirt; 10-08-2004 at 11:24 PM.

Ive been there mid winter and the place is sick, but i dont know how it would be in the late summer / fall. Puskas knows this place well, listen to his advice
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt
    I was at the Spillamacheen glacier north of Jumbo a few weeks ago and it was absolutly terrifingly dangerous. Large crevasses were weakly covered with the new snow from this season and as a result snow bridges were weak.
    the mission?

Thanks guys for the info and concern,

I'm pretty well travelled on glacier and confident on my crevasse both self and assisted rescue. Nice of you TeamDirt to throw the red flag up, we'll keep the crevasse radar on high alert. Plan is to take it nice and safe, get some early season practice, maybe a pit or two and chill on the glacier. If it is really wack then we'll make like a glacier and receid.

How about info on the road conditions then ? Anyone been down the logging road ?
    Y sigue la Fiesta

The road is still in good condition on both sides. Are you planning on heading up past Panorama or are you coming up Horsetheif to Lake of the Hanging Glacier?

Yeah,

haven't figured that out yet, gonna pick up the topo today sometime then figure out the shortest access coming from Kamloops. Taking the 91 chevy wagon for a tumble, worst beater so far was the road down to white swan. Why ya ask, wanna ride, we gotta rope team of 3 so far and a 3 man tent but that could be modified if need be ?

Have ya been up there riding ? Suggest any, conditions permiting, should do face. Granted I'll gauge any suggestion to our groups ability, I'm pretty confident on our skill though.
    Y sigue la Fiesta

I haven't skied much in that area other than with RK Heli ski but I've been all over those mountains on dirt bikes and hiking since I was about 8. The logging roads around there are generally in decent shape. Of course I've never driven anything bigger than a 250 dirt bike up there so access with a vehicle could be a bit different.

Easiest access is probably past Panorama, last I heard the access going up to Lake of the Hanging Glacier had a slide accross it, but maybe that's been cleared.

I'd reccommend picking up a map at a gas station once you get to the valley, there's a great map put out by some locals with all the logging/mining roads in the area as well as trails. Can't remember the name of it but it's worth picking up.

Looking into the forestry map thanks sherpahigh.

Just got my maps and tentativly planning to drive down Jumbo creek and then climb up to the cabin. From there ridge walk to Glacier Dome. That would be our crux either east or west from there to Commander ( yeah mega huge swollow you r whole rope team crevasse) or tour around the starbird glacier.

Man the whole area looks sick.

Then again I might just get the Farnham map. Might be better skiing there ?

Kinda hoping not gonna have to pack two pairs of boots but it looks like it. The quad burn touring boot down hike would suck.
    Y sigue la Fiesta

Phil, getting to the glacier via the hut would be an absolute pain in the arse. It is a steep climb to the hut from where you park.(approx. 2 hours with gear) From there a 2km ridge walk (if even possible, because of the steep peaks lining the ridge) would put you on the dome glacier which is relativly flat.

ckeck out google.ca and enter Jumbo glacier under images. there is a lot of images and it would help you immensly in choosing an objective. The easiest way to access the Jumbo glacier would be via Horstheif Creek. An easier objective in the area is the Delphine glacier. Trail goes right to the toe and they filmed the movie "Alive" up there.

lol
    Last edited by teamdirt; 10-10-2004 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks,

Yeah I've seen the pics from RH, frontrange and the resort site. Never even considered horsethief or Delphine. Cheers
    Y sigue la Fiesta