Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1216
    So how many people have died from Teh Global Warminz!!!!! so far?

More or less than the number of people who drown in their bathroom tubs?

You know, Teh Bathroom Drowninz!!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    144 IQ - no children.

Just sayin'.

So Blunt - if there were only say 3,000,000,000 humans tha GLOBAL WARMINGS!!! would be just as bad?

I feel like the guy trying to talk sense to the ex-meth head born again Jesus freak in the grocery store.
    Jer has nailed this one for years and teh global warminz fruit cakes ignore it.

Think about the children. We have to spend trillions of dollars on global warminz for the kids.

Try not having any. Or at most have one per couple. Every liberal that screams about global warmin and bitches about pick up trucks and carbon credits that has any more than one child is a fucking hypocritical shithead. Some of the most vocal liberals I know have 3 kids, and they ignore their contribution to the problem while bitching about me driving a 4wd truck. Fucking hypocritical dipshits.

How many kids does that fuckstick dex have?

ITS NOT THE WARMINGS!

NEW FEAR....(GET AHEAD OF FAT ALBERT ON THIS ONE AND MAKE YOUR VERY OWN $BILLIONS)

Superstorms can also cause certain societies, cultures or whole countries to collapse. Others may go to war with each other.
    Superstorm
    Courtesy: Weather Snob

(CHICAGO) - NASA has been warning about it…scientific papers have been written about it…geologists have seen its traces in rock strata and ice core samples…

Now "it" is here: an unstoppable magnetic pole shift that has sped up and is causing life-threatening havoc with the world's weather.

Forget about global warming—man-made or natural—what drives planetary weather patterns is the climate and what drives the climate is the sun's magnetosphere and its electromagnetic interaction with a planet's own magnetic field.

When the field shifts, when it fluctuates, when it goes into flux and begins to become unstable anything can happen. And what normally happens is that all hell breaks loose.

Magnetic polar shifts have occurred many times in Earth's history. It's happening again now to every planet in the solar system including Earth.

The magnetic field drives weather to a significant degree and when that field starts migrating superstorms start erupting.

The superstorms have arrived

The first evidence we have that the dangerous superstorm cycle has started is the devastating series of storms that pounded the UK during late 2010.

On the heels of the lashing the British Isles sustained, monster storms began to lash North America. The latest superstorm—as of this writing—is a monster over the U.S. that stretched across 2,000 miles affecting more than 150 million people.

Yet even as that storm wreaked havoc across the Western, Southern, Midwestern and Northeastern states, another superstorm broke out in the Pacific and closed in on Australia.

The southern continent had already dealt with the disaster of historic superstorm flooding from rains that dropped as much as several feet in a matter of hours. Tens of thousands of homes were damaged or destroyed. After the deluge tiger sharks were spotted swimming between houses in what was once a quiet suburban neighborhood.

Shocked authorities now numbly concede that much of the water may never dissipate and have wearily resigned themselves to the possibility that region will now contain a new inland sea.

But then only a handful of weeks later another superstorm—the megamonster cyclone Yasi—struck northeastern Australia. The damage it left in its wake is being called by rescue workers a war zone.

The incredible superstorm packed winds near 190mph. Although labeled as a category-5 cyclone, it was theoretically a category-6. The reason for that is storms with winds of 155mph are considered category-5, yet Yasi was almost 22 percent stronger than that.

A cat's cradle

Yet Yasi may only be a foretaste of future superstorms. Some climate researchers, monitoring the rapidly shifting magnetic field, are predicting superstorms in the future with winds as high as 300 to 400mph.

Such storms would totally destroy anything they came into contact with on land.

The possibility more storms like Yasi or worse will wreak havoc on our civilization and resources is found in the complicated electromagnetic relationship between the sun and Earth. The synergistic tug-of-war has been compared by some to an intricately constructed cat's cradle. And it's in a constant state of flux.

The sun's dynamic, ever-changing electric magnetosphere interfaces with the Earth's own magnetic field affecting, to a degree, the Earth's rotation, precessional wobble, dynamics of the planet's core, its ocean currents and—above all else—the weather.

Cracks in Earth's Magnetic Shield

The Earth's northern magnetic pole was moving towards Russia at a rate of about five miles annually. That progression to the East had been happening for decades.

Suddenly, in the past decade the rate sped up. Now the magnetic pole is shifting East at a rate of 40 miles annually, an increase of 800 percent. And it continues to accelerate.

Recently, as the magnetic field fluctuates, NASA has discovered "cracks" in it. This is worrisome as it significantly affects the ionosphere, troposphere wind patterns, and atmospheric moisture. All three things have an effect on the weather.

Worse, what shields the planet from cancer-causing radiation is the magnetic field. It acts as a shield deflecting harmful ultra-violet, X-rays and other life-threatening radiation from bathing the surface of the Earth. With the field weakening and cracks emerging, the death rate from cancer could skyrocket and mutations of DNA can become rampant.

Another federal agency, NOAA, issued a report caused a flurry of panic when they predicted that mammoth superstorms in the future could wipe out most of California. The NOAA scientists said it's a plausible scenario and would be driven by an "atmospheric river" moving water at the same rate as 50 Mississippi rivers flowing into the Gulf of Mexico.

Magnetic field may dip, flip and disappear

The Economist wrote a detailed article about the magnetic field and what's happening to it. In the article they noted:

"There is, however, a growing body of evidence that the Earth's magnetic field is about to disappear, at least for a while. The geological record shows that it flips from time to time, with the south pole becoming the north, and vice versa. On average, such reversals take place every 500,000 years, but there is no discernible pattern. Flips have happened as close together as 50,000 years, though the last one was 780,000 years ago. But, as discussed at the Greenland Space Science Symposium, held in Kangerlussuaq this week, the signs are that another flip is coming soon."

Discussing the magnetic polar shift and the impact on weather, the scholarly paper "Weather and the Earth's magnetic field" was published in the journal Nature. Scientists too are very concerned about the increasing danger of superstorms and the impact on humanity.

Superstorms will not only damage agriculture across the planet leading to famines and mass starvation, they will also change coastlines, destroy cities and create tens of millions of homeless.

Superstorms can also cause certain societies, cultures or whole countries to collapse. Others may go to war with each other.

A Danish study published in the scientific journal Geology, found strong correlation between climate change, weather patterns and the magnetic field.

"The earth's climate has been significantly affected by the planet's magnetic field, according to a Danish study published Monday that could challenge the notion that human emissions are responsible for global warming.

"'Our results show a strong correlation between the strength of the earth's magnetic field and the amount of precipitation in the tropics,' one of the two Danish geophysicists behind the study, Mads Faurschou Knudsen of the geology department at Aarhus University in western Denmark, told the Videnskab journal.

"He and his colleague Peter Riisager, of the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS), compared a reconstruction of the prehistoric magnetic field 5,000 years ago based on data drawn from stalagmites and stalactites found in China and Oman."

In the scientific paper "Midday magnetopause shifts earthward of geosynchronous orbit during geomagnetic superstorms with Dst = -300 nT" the magnetic intensity of solar storms impacting Earth can intensify the effects of the polar shift and also speed up the frequency of the emerging superstorms.

Pole reversal may also be initiating new Ice Age

According to some geologists and scientists, we have left the last interglacial period behind us. Those periods are lengths of time—about 11,500 years—between major Ice Ages.

One of the most stunning signs of the approaching Ice Age is what's happened to the world's precessional wobble.

The Earth's wobble has stopped

As explained in the geology and space science website earthchangesmedia.com, "The Chandler wobble was first discovered back in 1891 by Seth Carlo Chandler an American astronomer.

The effect causes the Earth's poles to move in an irregular circle of 3 to 15 meters in diameter in an oscillation. The Earth's Wobble has a 7-year cycle which produces two extremes, a small spiraling wobble circle and a large spiraling wobble circle, about 3.5 years apart.

For the conclusion of this article, visit: helium.com

Also, as a response to comments, Terrence added this:

2002 - Scientists may have detected the beginning of the field's next such reversal:
    [http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...py-changes-to]

2005 - Movement of North Magnetic Pole is accelerating:
    [http://www.physorg.com/news8917.html]

2008 - Earth's Core, Magnetic Field Changing Fast, Study Says
    [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rth-core.html]

2008 - Magnetic Portals Connect Earth to Sun
    [http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...8/30oct_ftes/]

2009 - North Magnetic Pole Moving Due to Core Flux
    [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rth-core.html]

2009 - The earth's climate is significantly affected by the planet's magnetic field:
    [http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Th...tudy_999.html]

Jan 2011 - British Geological Survey *Possible Pole Shift Occurring* South Atlantic Anomaly is Growing:
    [http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/highli...ntic2010.html]

2009 - A strong, highly-tilted interstellar magnetic field near the Solar System:
    [http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ure08567.html]

2009 - The solar system is passing through an interstellar cloud that physics says should not exist:

Quote Originally Posted by Thrill Hammer View Post
    Ever stop to wonder where all that meltwater goes? Know anybody living on the Eastern seaboard? Hope not.
    Geez my whole family lives on the east coast. I hope they can move in the next 10,000 years

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the news or not lately, but it seems like half the Southern Hemisphere's under water.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the news or not lately, but it seems like half the Southern Hemisphere's under water.
    OMG, man the lifeboats

Fitting and very interesting article in a recent National Geographic on the role of population (estimated to reach 9 BILLION by the year 2045):

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...on/kunzig-text
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

"THE HOAX"
    soon to be in bookstores near you(in the back in brown paper guarded by a pierced lesbo)

By JIM MYERS World Washington Bureau
    Published: 2/9/2011 4:37 PM
    Last Modified: 2/9/2011 4:37 PM

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe on Wednesday not only stood by his famous HOAX DECLARATION ON GLOBAL WARMING , but the Oklahoma Republican somewhat reluctantly tipped his hand on plans to publish a book.

“I won’t tell you what it’s about, but the name of the book is ‘The Hoax,’?” he said during testimony before a House subcommittee.

“I did finish it last week.’’

Inhofe was the lead-off witness at a somewhat contentious and lengthy hearing on a proposal that he and Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, are pushing essentially to kill the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ability to regulate greenhouse gases

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_WASHIN967578

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    "THE HOAX"
    soon to be in bookstores near you(in the back in brown paper guarded by a pierced lesbo)

By JIM MYERS World Washington Bureau
    Published: 2/9/2011 4:37 PM
    Last Modified: 2/9/2011 4:37 PM

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe on Wednesday not only stood by his famous HOAX DECLARATION ON GLOBAL WARMING , but the Oklahoma Republican somewhat reluctantly tipped his hand on plans to publish a book.

“I won’t tell you what it’s about, but the name of the book is ‘The Hoax,’?” he said during testimony before a House subcommittee.

“I did finish it last week.’’

Inhofe was the lead-off witness at a somewhat contentious and lengthy hearing on a proposal that he and Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, are pushing essentially to kill the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ability to regulate greenhouse gases

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_WASHIN967578
    Inhofe is an idiot, a modestly intellect-ed Christian peasant. I'm not sure if being elected in a state like Oklahoma is a something to be proud of. I'm thinking of moving there and starting a barbecue company using burning bibles as fuel. That would really be fun.

I actually agree with Jer on one thing: Overpopulation is a huge problem. Liberals with lots of children really bug me. Actually, anyone with lots of children bugs me. This planet was never meant to have this many people. Having children is basically the worst thing you can do for the environment. Religions which encourage their sheep to have lots of children are waging war on the planet. The last thing we need is hardcore Christians having lots of kids.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

You anti children people crack me up. If you're so concerned about overpopulation then why don't you guys kill yourselves? I'm not saying its good to have ten kids but ragging on people who have kids (just like your parents did) seems pretty fucking smug.

Hey, we agree on something!!!

Two things to add:

1. We have a shitload of snow here, more than I've seen since I was a kid (I love snowdays)

2. We're all going to die anyway (car crash, cancer, accidentally swallowing our toothbrushes, crazed monkey attack, etc) so why worry

Oh, and I probably should also mention that ever since I started to put clear nailpolish on every night I stopped biting my nails and they look pretty fine. Like I could be a fucking nail-model or something. I love it when I hit on something big like this. Life changing, really.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

the weather pattern has not become more extreme with increased co2 over 130 years. the truth is getting out...........sell your shares in ALGORE inc.

The Weather Isn't Getting Weirder
    The latest research belies the idea that storms are getting more extreme.

By ANNE JOLIS

Last week a severe storm froze Dallas under a sheet of ice, just in time to disrupt the plans of the tens of thousands of (American) football fans descending on the city for the Super Bowl. On the other side of the globe, Cyclone Yasi slammed northeastern Australia, destroying homes and crops and displacing hundreds of thousands of people.

Some climate alarmists would have us believe that these storms are yet another baleful consequence of man-made CO2 emissions. In addition to the latest weather events, they also point to recent cyclones in Burma, last winter's fatal chills in Nepal and Bangladesh, December's blizzards in Britain, and every other drought, typhoon and unseasonable heat wave around the world.

But is it true? To answer that question, you need to understand whether recent weather trends are extreme by historical standards. The Twentieth Century Reanalysis Project is the latest attempt to find out, using super-computers to generate a dataset of global atmospheric circulation from 1871 to the present.

As it happens, the project's initial findings, published last month, show no evidence of an intensifying weather trend. "In the climate models, the extremes get more extreme as we move into a doubled CO2 world in 100 years," atmospheric scientist Gilbert Compo, one of the researchers on the project, tells me from his office at the University of Colorado, Boulder. "So we were surprised that none of the three major indices of climate variability that we used show a trend of increased circulation going back to 1871."

In other words, researchers have yet to find evidence of more-extreme weather patterns over the period, contrary to what the models predict. "There's no data-driven answer yet to the question of how human activity has affected extreme weather," adds Roger Pielke Jr., another University of Colorado climate researcher.

View Full Image
    jolis
    Getty Images

Some climate alarmists claim that cyclones, such as Cyclone Yasi, are a result of man-made CO2 emissions.
    jolis
    jolis

We do know that carbon dioxide and other gases trap and re-radiate heat. We also know that humans have emitted ever-more of these gases since the Industrial Revolution. What we don't know is exactly how sensitive the climate is to increases in these gases versus other possible factors—solar variability, oceanic currents, Pacific heating and cooling cycles, planets' gravitational and magnetic oscillations, and so on.

Given the unknowns, it's possible that even if we spend trillions of dollars, and forgo trillions more in future economic growth, to cut carbon emissions to pre-industrial levels, the climate will continue to change—as it always has.

That's not to say we're helpless. There is at least one climate lesson that we can draw from the recent weather: Whatever happens, prosperity and preparedness help. North Texas's ice storm wreaked havoc and left hundreds of football fans stranded, cold, and angry. But thanks to modern infrastructure, 21st century health care, and stockpiles of magnesium chloride and snow plows, the storm caused no reported deaths and Dallas managed to host the big game on Sunday.

Compare that outcome to the 55 people who reportedly died of pneumonia, respiratory problems and other cold-related illnesses in Bangladesh and Nepal when temperatures dropped to just above freezing last winter. Even rich countries can be caught off guard: Witness the thousands stranded when Heathrow skimped on de-icing supplies and let five inches of snow ground flights for two days before Christmas. Britain's GDP shrank by 0.5% in the fourth quarter of 2010, for which the Office of National Statistics mostly blames "the bad weather."

Arguably, global warming was a factor in that case. Or at least the idea of global warming was. The London-based Global Warming Policy Foundation charges that British authorities are so committed to the notion that Britain's future will be warmer that they have failed to plan for winter storms that have hit the country three years running.

A sliver of the billions that British taxpayers spend on trying to control their climes could have bought them more of the supplies that helped Dallas recover more quickly. And, with a fraction of that sliver of prosperity, more Bangladeshis and Nepalis could have acquired the antibiotics and respirators to survive their cold spell.

A comparison of cyclones Yasi and Nargis tells a similar story: As devastating as Yasi has been, Australia's infrastructure, medicine, and emergency protocols meant the Category 5 storm has killed only one person so far. Australians are now mulling all the ways they could have better protected their property and economy.

But if they feel like counting their blessings, they need only look to the similar cyclone that hit the Irrawaddy Delta in 2008. Burma's military regime hadn't allowed for much of an economy before the cyclone, but Nargis destroyed nearly all the Delta had. Afterwards, the junta blocked foreign aid workers from delivering needed water purification and medical supplies. In the end, the government let Nargis kill more than 130,000 people.

Global-warming alarmists insist that economic activity is the problem, when the available evidence show it to be part of the solution. We may not be able to do anything about the weather, extreme or otherwise. But we can make sure we have the resources to deal with it when it comes.

^^^ that article is fantastic!!! The horrors of postponing the superbowl resolved by mass quantities of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Two things to add:

1. We have a shitload of snow here, more than I've seen since I was a kid (I love snowdays)

2. We're all going to die anyway (car crash, cancer, accidentally swallowing our toothbrushes, crazed monkey attack, etc) so why worry

Oh, and I probably should also mention that ever since I started to put clear nailpolish on every night I stopped biting my nails and they look pretty fine. Like I could be a fucking nail-model or something. I love it when I hit on something big like this. Life changing, really.

Sprite
    You have saved man(and woman)kind.

Is Inhofe one of those mindless mouth breathers who insists global climate change is impossible because God says so?

The liberation of mass quantities of CO2 and, most importantly, methane have to have an effect. It's called the Laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy. You can't just pretend it doesn't exist because it's colorless and odorless. If that worked, no one would ever get carbon monoxide poisoning!

OMG it snows in the winter! This is above average snowfall for the last 5 or 10 years, but probably not really before that. I remember there always being all kinds of snow on the ground in suburban NY when I was little.

I'm guessing this spring will bring rapid warm ups and a lot of rain.

Now if we could only do something about those crazy monkeys.
    No longer stuck.

Oh and does anyone remember that giant unpronounceable volcano? That shit affects the weather. A few of those, we could just reverse climate change, maybe.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post

Sprite
    Good for you. I've been trying to quit cold-turkey. I'm sure it helps, but i don't think i could do the nail polish. My problem is I dont notice i'm biting my nail until it's mangled. It's an absent minded habit. Must. Stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Oh and does anyone remember that giant unpronounceable volcano? That shit affects the weather. A few of those, we could just reverse climate change, maybe.
    eh? Volcanoes blowing up and affecting the weather is the definition of climate change. Nature can not "reverse" climate change, it can only make it happen. Man does not have sole responisbility on changing the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Good for you. I've been trying to quit cold-turkey. I'm sure it helps, but i don't think i could do the nail polish. My problem is I dont notice i'm biting my nail until it's mangled. It's an absent minded habit. Must. Stop.
    right, yeah. I quit once, then started again from waiting for stuff to load playing video games and stuff like that. (long time ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    eh? Volcanoes blowing up and affecting the weather is the definition of climate change. Nature can not "reverse" climate change, it can only make it happen. Man does not have sole responisbility on changing the weather.
    right, yeah. t3h gl0bal c00lingz!!!111
    No longer stuck.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    You anti children people crack me up. If you're so concerned about overpopulation then why don't you guys kill yourselves? I'm not saying its good to have ten kids but ragging on people who have kids (just like your parents did) seems pretty fucking smug.
    You're missing the point.
    From an environmental standpoint having multiple children is the absolute worst thing you can do to the planet. If you choose to do that out of your own selfishness, then keep your fucking opinions about what other people chose to do that may impact the environment to yourself. If you don't, then you are a fucking hypocrite. It's no different than if you drove around an oil belching car, while insisting that all of your neighbors buy hybrids.

In the Greatest Nation on this Amazing Planet
    I think it's a cycle of warming but if I was able to profit by spewing a lot of "bullshit baffles brains" info and make tonnes of money and had no moral centre with the truth I guess I would spin the facts.

There are records of Global Warming one of which let the Romans expand their territory through northern points of Europe. Now that's a fact!!!!!!

There might be another theory, The Gaia Theory that sates the planet is alive and is sick from the over population and pollution. Like any PMSing bitch she will run a fever and lash out to all the know her. Wow I think that's it. Mankind we're fucked. Man the life boats or just start saying sorry for things that are not our fault!!!!
    Damn it, my wife might just be Gaia?
    Quote Originally Posted by theshredder View Post
    i identify as a gay transexual

Quote Originally Posted by Socialist View Post
    They have socalized healthcare up in canada. The whole country is 100% full of pot smoking pro-athlete alcoholics.

Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    Exactly.

Beck, TeaBagggers/RightWing-Nuts, mrw, Rubicon, DBT, polariso, etc etc etc... are conspiracy theorists. The Government, terrorists, foreigners, illegal aliens, etc. are out to get you through some sort of conspiracy to do you wrong...

If you did some reading of the psychology behind conspiracy theories (start with Ted Goertzel) then you may gain some clarity or actual knowledge, as opposed to the perceived knowledge the conspiracy theories provide.

Since I realize that many of the TeaBagger/Christians/Conservative/Republicans/mrw/DBT/Rubicon may think education in and of itself is a giant liberal conspiracy, I will spell out the basic points of the salient general psychology research, behavioral research, and political psychology research.

Sources:
    http://www.world-mysteries.com/newgw/gw_rmd1.htm
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory[/ame]
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/3791630
    http://pos.sagepub.com/content/32/2/131.abstract
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...00160/abstract

-------------

In 1936 American commentator H. L. Mencken wrote:

The central belief of every moron is that he is the victim of a mysterious conspiracy against his common rights and true deserts. He ascribes all his failure to get on in the world, all of his congenital incapacity and damfoolishness, to the machinations of werewolves assembled in Wall Street, or some other such den of infamy.

-----------------

Types

Political scientist Michael Barkun has categorized, in ascending order of breadth, the types of conspiracy theories as follows:

* Event conspiracy theories. The conspiracy is held to be responsible for a limited, discrete event or set of events. The conspiratorial forces are alleged to have focused their energies on a limited, well-defined objective. The best-known example in the recent past is the Kennedy assassination conspiracy literature.

* Systemic conspiracy theories. The conspiracy is believed to have broad goals, usually conceived as securing control of a country, a region, or even the entire world. While the goals are sweeping, the conspiratorial machinery is generally simple: a single, evil organization implements a plan to infiltrate and subvert existing institutions. This is a common scenario in conspiracy theories that focus on the alleged machinations of Jews, Freemasons, and the Illuminati, as well as theories centered on international communism or international capitalists.

* Superconspiracy theories. Conspiratorial constructs in which multiple conspiracies are believed to be linked together hierarchically. Event and systemic are joined in complex ways, so that conspiracies come to be nested together. At the summit of the conspiratorial hierarchy is a distant but all-powerful evil force manipulating lesser conspiratorial actors. Superconspiracy theories have enjoyed particular growth since the 1980s, in the work of authors such as Jim Marrs, David Icke, and Milton William Cooper.

Successful conspiracy theories are those that to some degree empower the believer against what are perceived as external forces that he/she blames for some unpleasant or undesirable facet of their lives. In addition conspiracy theories serve to absolve the individual of some degree of self-accountability since, if the individual is being “oppressed” by some powerful conspiracy, the individual’s efforts at self-advancement will always be futile and thus become nothing more than “a waste of time.” Sadly, it seems that conspiracy theories and their advocates are now deeply engrained in the popular psyche and without prospects for their ultimate refutation.

------------------------------

Conspiracy Theories and Conspiracy Theorizing

1. Steve Clarke
    Charles Sturt University

Abstract

The dismissive attitude of intellectuals toward conspiracy theorists is considered and given some justification. It is argued that intellectuals are entitled to an attitude of prima facie skepticism toward the theories propounded by conspiracy theorists, because conspiracy theorists have an irrational tendency to continue to believe in conspiracy theories, even when these take on the appearance of forming the core of degenerating research program. It is further argued that the pervasive effect of the “fundamental attribution error” can explain the behavior of such conspiracy theorists. A rival approach due to Brian Keeley, which involves the criticism of a subclass of conspiracy theories on epistemic grounds, is considered and found to be inadequate.

----------------------------

Abalakina-Paap, M., Stephan, W. G., Craig, T. and Gregory, W. L. (1999), Beliefs in Conspiracies. Political Psychology, 20: 637–647. doi: 10.1111/0162-895X.00160

This study used canonical correlation to examine the relationship of 11 individual difference variables to two measures of beliefs in conspiracies. Undergraduates were administered a questionnaire that included these two measures (beliefs in specific conspiracies and attitudes toward the existence of conspiracies) and scales assessing the 11 variables. High levels of anomie, authoritarianism, and powerlessness, along with a low level of self-esteem, were related to beliefs in specific conspiracies, whereas high levels of external locus of control and hostility, along with a low level of trust, were related to attitudes toward the existence of conspiracies in general. These findings support the idea that beliefs in conspiracies are related to feelings of alienation, powerlessness, hostility, and being disadvantaged. There was no support for the idea that people believe in conspiracies because they provide simplified explanations of complex events.

So would yours be an event conspiracy theory or a systemic conspiracy theory?

You elitist douchbag.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

The climate hoax continues........
    How to explain the no global warming facts
    It must be the sulphur,preventing the non-warming
    Reminds me of the epicycles invented by the church to keep the earth at the center of the universe
    Where is Gallileo?

from Reuters:..http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7634IQ20110704
    Reuters) - Smoke belching from Asia's rapidly growing economies is largely responsible for a halt in global warming in the decade after 1998 because of sulphur's cooling effect, even though greenhouse gas emissions soared, a U.S. study said on Monday.
    The paper raised the prospect of more rapid, pent-up climate change when emerging economies eventually crack down on pollution.
    World temperatures did not rise from 1998 to 2008, while manmade emissions of carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuel grew by nearly a third, various data show.
    The researchers from Boston and Harvard Universities and Finland's University of Turku said pollution, and specifically sulphur emissions, from coal-fueled growth in Asia was responsible for the cooling effect.
    Sulphur allows water drops or aerosols to form, creating hazy clouds which reflect sunlight back into space.
    "Anthropogenic activities that warm and cool the planet largely cancel after 1998, which allows natural variables to play a more significant role," the paper said.
    Natural cooling effects included a declining solar cycle after 2002, meaning the sun's output fell.
    The study said that the halt in warming had fueled doubts about anthropogenic climate change, where scientists say manmade greenhouse gas emissions are heating the Earth.
    "It has been unclear why global surface temperatures did not rise between 1998 and 2008," said the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States.
    A peak in temperatures in 1998 coincided with a strong El Nino weather event, a natural shift which brings warm waters to the surface of the Pacific Ocean every few years.
    Subsequent years have still included nine of the top 10 hottest years on record, while the U.N. World Meteorological Organization said 2010 was tied for the record.
    A U.N. panel of climate scientists said in 2007 that it was 90 percent certain that humankind was causing global warming.
    COAL
    Sulphur aerosols may remain in the atmosphere for several years, meaning their cooling effect will gradually abate once smokestack industries clean up.
    The study echoed a similar explanation for reduced warming between the 1940s and 1970s, blamed on sulphur emissions before Western economies cleaned up largely to combat acid rain.
    "The post 1970 period of warming, which constitutes a significant portion of the increase in global surface temperature since the mid 20th century, is driven by efforts to reduce air pollution," it said.
    Sulphur emissions are linked to coal consumption which in China grew more than 100 percent in the decade to 2008, or nearly three times the rate of the previous 10 years, according to data from the energy firm BP.
    Other climate scientists broadly supported Monday's study, stressing that over longer time periods rising greenhouse gas emissions would over-ride cooling factors.
    "Long term warming will continue unless emissions are reduced," said Peter Stott, head of climate monitoring at Britain's Met Office.

Thanks for bumping one of the very few TGR threads with footnotes. Just what we needed.

This is like religion: no one can prove their side, so they (on both or all sides) blindly pick one without the evidence to prove it. No side can prove it's correct. To accept one particular argument or point of view or another is an act of faith. And I'm sceptical of faith, no matter who's pedaling it. So, as with religion, I choose to muddle along and do what feels right, do the best I can, and not worry about shit I can't change.Any of you pseudoscience pedaling fucktards trying to sell me a viewpoint can just keep moving, I'm not buying. I don't need to.