Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Road Tripping from Calgary: What to do?

Dates: December 16 to December 23

Tentative Plans: Land in Calgary on the 16th, drive to Kicking Horse, ski a few days, drive to Revelstoke, ski a few days, drive back to Calgary. Mostly lift serviced, but also open to cat skiing and back or slack country.

Ultimately snow will dictate the direction of our driving from Calgary, but I figured I'd drop in here to solicit some thoughts and advice. Particularly on places to stay. There'll just be two of us and we'd like the option of cooking our own meals i.e. modest kitchen a bonus in accommodations.

Also, let me know if anyone's gonna be in the area and wants to ski with a couple Montreal wankers.

Thanks!
    d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Your plan is good. if you are thinking cat skiing, you may be able to sneak a day in at chatter creek on stand by (although I'd think most tours would get booked given how much it's been snowing). you could also consider some touring around Rogers Pass (between KH and Revy).

Cheeky Beaver in Revi... b&b with good vibes, has a beautiful kitchen for cooking and they stoke your breaky foods. You might share the house with other like minded individuals... very nice.

Keep fernie on your radar and the skiing in Banff has been very good so far this season so don't rule out a stop here either, pre-Xmas accom will be more reasonable.

B

(oops, skibee posting on Mntlion's comp... sorry)

SAAAH!

Gin, is this a budget trip, or something special? And how particular is your gal is about the level of accommodations?

Mary's Motel in Golden has always been popular with skiers. Older and pretty basic, but affordable. They might have a few kitchenette units.

Do you have a Costco membership?

http://www.revelstokemountainresort....ical-Card.html

Unfortunately KH's skier card is only for W. Canadians.

There should be plenty of mags to ski with wherever you go. So many more of us in the past few years, which is great. Just don't bring up politics.

Did that two years ago at christmas for the opening of REVY....we drove to golden first and then onto revy back to golden then onto sundshine and lake louise.....To do over again: go directly to REVY and stay there for most of the trip and then head back hitting KH for a day or two then LL S, and Banff......pluss you have rodgers pass which can be tricky ........both golden and revy were great with great food and poeple in both....Hit up some mags along way.....hope your trip is great with great snow..... Can't wait to head back there again real soon......look foward to the TR
    always forward but never straight

It seems you already have a good plan. KH is looking very good so far with about same snow as Revie. So splitting time between is a good idea. Chatter is heli access so don't think standby or day ski is an option from Golden. They operate cats out of Revie but sometimes their lines are poached by people from resort.

Have some friends that operate a B&B lodge north of Golden ( ~20 minutes) great place with huge kitchen that guest can use for meals. Though not sure if will be renting out at that time but can check if you want. One of the best views in Rockies. But more driving to hill in morning and back to town if want a meal. But then closer to Rodgers Pass.

We'll be in Golden Dec 18-20 and then again 23rd .....so drop in for a beer and a meal.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Cool, Doug. We'll definitely have to meet up in Golden since I am sure our dates will overlap. It'd also be great if you can check with your friends about their B&B - I don't think we mind a 20 minute drive.

Eldo: not sure Mit will like being referred to as "my gal." ;-) Not really a budget trip - more of a "Mit's going to be a father soon and needs get a week out west while he still can" trip.

Thanks for the tips, guys. If anyone wants to offer to show us around Rodgers Pass that would be cool...

d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176380"]Skiing from Calgary to Vancouver - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

My thread was first. ;-)

Does anyone know if you can buy more than one Revelstoke Vertical card with the same costco membership? I know the cards are personalized, but if my buddy has a membership and I go with him to the store, can we get a card for each of us?

thanks,
    d.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

When we were in Revy last February we met a nice guy named Alek Sharman who owns the Peaks Lodge, which is right around the corner from the main town area. We did not stay there but he offered to take us out snowmobiling and was an all around nice guy. FYI.
    Red-i-XS

Oops, sorry Mit.

I'll go to Costco and ask about the cards. There is a store right off Stoney Trail, which is the new Calgary ringroad you can take from the airport to the TransCanada highway and west to Banff.

BTW, If you guys need a place to crash near the airport after arriving or before flying out, I live 10 minutes away and have a spare room and/or floor space.

Post again about Rogers in the BC Interior thread and this thread when you arrive and I'm sure someone can show you around.

P.S. It really is spelled Rogers Pass, not Rodgers. I have no idea why people add in the "D."

I bought two cards on my costco membership. You could probably buy as many as you want as there didn't seem to be anything posted about a limit per customer. They don't become individualized until you activate them at the ski hill.

I wouldn't say that Peaks is right around the corner from town. It is almost 10 km from town.

Hey Gin, Tim emailed last night and I should be able to hook up with you guys at sometime somewhere. If you are looking for places in Golden check for one extra.
    Move along nothing to see here.

They are open details in PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Thanks, Doug. Looks like a pretty nice place....I'll let you know if we end up there.

Weibo, good to hear that you might be in for the ride. I think our Golden dates will be something like the 16th to 19th, but not sure yet. Will let you know as we solidify things.

goral, thanks for the costco info. Sounds like we are good to go on that deal. Anyone know any deals for Kicking Horse?

Thanks for the offer Eldo. We get in around 5ish on wednesday and were planning on heading straight out to Golden (after a costco stop) so probably won't need to take you up on it. Appreciate it nonetheless.

cheers,
    d.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Here's the latest thinking:

Arrive Calgary evening of 16th: Drive to Golden
    17th: Kicking Horse
    18th: Kicking Horse
    19th: Roger's pass tour, drive to Revelstoke
    20th: Revelstoke
    21st: Revelstoke
    22nd: Revelstoke
    23rd: Drive back to Calgary for evening flight (really hope that flight doesn't get delayed or canceled...)

Cheeky Beaver in Revelstoke might not have the days available so also looking at Peak's Lodge. Any other thoughts on that place?

Also, Roger's pass plan will require a local guide. We've got a bit of eastern back-country experience, but aren't going to go fuck around on our own. Any takers?

d.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Great plan... I hope you're in shape because that is one intense schedule!

Do you have avi training? Rogers pass is an amazing place to ski, but there are not many places to make turns where you don't have to cross complex and big avi terrain.

in revelstoke look for the alpine Inn cheap but they have kitchen and also in KH look for the condo at the resort last time deal are pretty cheap too and super accomodation.
    did the same trip last years and super stoke with these 2 places

Quote Originally Posted by link1 View Post
    When we were in Revy last February we met a nice guy named Alek Sharman who owns the Peaks Lodge, which is right around the corner from the main town area.
    Your definition of right round the corner is 4 km (2.5 miles) longer than my one!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    Did that two years ago at christmas for the opening of REVY....we drove to golden first and then onto revy back to golden then onto sundshine and lake louise.....To do over again: go directly to REVY and stay there for most of the trip and then head back hitting KH for a day or two then LL S, and Banff......pluss you have rodgers pass which can be tricky ........both golden and revy were great with great food and poeple in both....Hit up some mags along way.....hope your trip is great with great snow..... Can't wait to head back there again real soon......look foward to the TR
    Listen to mtnbiker/boarder. He says hit Lake Louise and Sunshine. I definitely would not miss Lake Louise. It gets none of the press of Kicking Horse and Revelstoke, but it has big time terrain. Delirium Dive at Sunshine is already open. I believe it is the earliest ever in the season that it has been open. I suppose the Wild West will be open soon. I would hit the Lake and Sunshine if you have not been there before. You could stay in Golden and get up early and go where the snow is. Lake Louise is 93 km away, and Revy is 148 km. It may be a little far to drive, but what else do you have to do on your vacation in the Great White North? It still leaves plenty of time to relax and get plenty of sleep.

If stayed night of 22nd in Golden the would have choice of skiing KH or hitting LL or SSV on 23rd. Depending on flight time and conditions. LL would be a hour closer to Calgary , SSV 90 minutes.

Peaks lodge blows

Peaks lodge blows. We stayed last year, you have to book the hot tub before you even show up, and our room had such a slanted roof you could hardly stand up. And its out of town. Better deals to be had.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Okay, it's pretty much a go.

Kicking Horse: Dec 17 and 18 for sure
    Revelstoke: Dec 20, 21 and probably 22

19th is in the air. We're out-of-shape flat-landers so touring would have to be with some mellow, patient folks. Anyone up for it?

22nd will probably be skiing at Revelstoke and then heading east to spend the night somewhere closer to Calgary (as Doug suggests). Possibly squeeze a Lake Louise morning on the 23rd before our flight...

Drop a note to my gmail account (thinksnow47) if anyone's around.

Oh, and no Peak's Lodge for us.

d.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

If the snow at Lake Louise is good, you would be foolish to pass it up. The back bowls there consist of endless steep terrain. It seems like the only reason its not higher rated is because it doesn't get that much snow, but in a good snow year, there's few places better. I would ski there on the 22, and the next morning you could hit up LL or SV if you have the time.

If not raining -or- too windy, consider Fernie & Castle, respectively.
    Jak and Jil skinned up the hill to rip some epic lines...
    Jak cruised down throwing a huge mute 3...
    Followed by Jil with a 9.