Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low-profile ski box?

I have an old-school RocketBox that I had on my Xterra, but have moved on to a 3-series BMW. Would like a new cargo box - basically just for skis - that's simple, clean, good-looking and super low-profile to fit a couple skis in so they are locked and out of sight. Lower-profile the better, and a gloss black would be rad.
    So far looks like there are a couple contenders (but spendy):
    Yakima LoPro Ti at 92” x 36” x 11.5”
    And the Thule 689 Sprit at 90.5”L x 32.7”W x 14.2”H
    Just came across this one from Inno Racks, anyone tried it?
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-b...-roof-box.html

Anything else out there I'm missing?
    Muchas appreciated.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

The inno rack looks really cool, we had family friends that had a silver one on a Porsche Cayenne that looked like it was factory made from Porsche.

Maybe look into this one: http://packasport.com/home/ps2/page_...p_carrier.html

They do custom colors too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

INNO Low Down Cruiser
    8.5ish inches off the bar to the top of the box
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

i was looking in the exact same niche of boxes. Pulled the trigger on the Thule Spirit for my Allroad. They are 20% off right now @ REI. Free in-store p/u and if you have the REI visa you get another 5%.

Like the profile/look of the inno boxes but the attachment hardware was straight up U-bolts.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    what are you doing with the old school box? i actually want and old boxy looking one if your selling it.

Thanks for the input all, some good ideas in here. I like the look of the Innos, and the price is pretty good...but if the mounting hardware sucks that's a bummer.

Seatown, that's a great deal at REI on the Thule, especially avoiding shipping with in-store delivery, thanks. Size OK for you? Since my 325xi is a sedan I'm a bit worried about the box overwhelming the car.

straight up u-bolts that fit every aftermarket and factory rack iirc
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    what are you doing with the old school box? i actually want and old boxy looking one if your selling it.
    It's not like the super old square-edged boxy one, it's from 2001. Kinda the matte black plastic space booster or something. Good box but it looks like crap on the bmw. If you're interested let me know, I'd totally sell it - but not ship it (it's in SLC).

Particle, how much are you selling your 2001 rocket box for? I'll be in Salt Lake tomorrow.

And if AKA does indeed want the super-old-square-edged-boxy version of the box and you are willing to sell me yours, i can sell AKA my super-old-square-edged-boxy box.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Particle, how much are you selling your 2001 rocket box for? I'll be in Salt Lake tomorrow.

And if AKA does indeed want the super-old-square-edged-boxy version of the box and you are willing to sell me yours, i can sell AKA my super-old-square-edged-boxy box.
    Honestly haven't even thought about it. Make an offer? That'd be rad if you're coming through town, could work out perfect. Send me a PM with your info and we can figure out if it'll work.

Here's the only quick online pic of the box I can find, unfortunately it's open so kinda hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I like the look of the Innos, and the price is pretty good...but if the mounting hardware sucks that's a bummer.

Seatown, that's a great deal at REI on the Thule, especially avoiding shipping with in-store delivery, thanks. Size OK for you? Since my 325xi is a sedan I'm a bit worried about the box overwhelming the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    straight up u-bolts that fit every aftermarket and factory rack iirc
    i dont know if i would say teh hardware blows but their Ubolts were annoying for me b/c i have the rounded aluminum 'aero' crossbars and i wasn't thrilled by the fit of rectangular steel bolts on them. Like Waxman points out, they do have the benefit of being truly universal.

Size wise, i think the spirit looks great on wagons but might be a tad much for a sedan but that's just me.

sumpin else to keep in mind is the dimensions of the inno low down:

Exterior Dimensions
    LEWEH 82.7" x 31.5" x 9.8"
    (210 x 80 x 25cm)

Interior Dimensions
    LEWEH 74.8" x 27.5" x 7.8"
    (190 x 70 x 20cm)

not sure how you loose 20cm of usable length but i was worried that i wouldn't be able to fit some of my longer skis inside without going diagonal and reducing the box's capacity.

thule ascent 1100 is just as low-pro as those others 'cept the Inno and costs half as much. May not look as good on your swank-mobile.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Particle. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    thule ascent 1100 is just as low-pro as those others 'cept the Inno and costs half as much. May not look as good on your swank-mobile.
    Exactly. It looks pretty good on my vehicle.

I just couldn't see paying $700 for that Yakima box.

And that Inno is SERIOUSLY lowpro... really cramps what you can put in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

We have a spirit. I threw it on my saturn SL (no longer with us) in a pinch and it looked like the space shuttle. I don't think it looks too bad on my camry, as far as proportions. Doesn't overwhelm it, exactly.... Looks a lot better on my mini vationwagotility vehicle.

Anyhow, I saw this thread pop up and was thinking I'd toss in my 0.02, until I moused over the title and saw you talking about super low profile and just a couple skis, and thought "he sure as hell isn't looking for something like the spirit" and read the super 7 thread instead. So, take that for what it's worth.

It's a nice looking box (imo) and I'd buy it again. Can stuff quite a bit of shite in there, and I'm guessing I could fit many pair of BIG skis in there w/o having to get creative. Fits my two no problem. Goes on in under two minutes if I have somebody to help me.

x2 for packasport. low-pro models with great lining on the inside that prevents skis from sliding around. con: no tie-down straps on the inside. also, exterior buckles are a b#*@h in the cold.

I have the inno on my forester. It's a great box - i think i've had as many as 6 sets of skis and poles in there. Plenty of room for my needs.

As for the mounting hardware, i leave it on all season so only have to deal with that twice a year - once when i take it off, and once when i put it on.

I think it looks great, although i still obviously have to deal with jibes for driving a forester. I've meaning to get a 'CHOW?' sticker made to put on the back of the inno.

pick up a packasport and be done with it! Not sure how you can make a better box than what there making. It seems Thule and Yak are fighting for market share and have to out market and come up with new designs where packaport building a bomber box and that it.

Quote Originally Posted by stolitonic View Post
    pick up a packasport and be done with it! Not sure how you can make a better box than what there making. It seems Thule and Yak are fighting for market share and have to out market and come up with new designs where packaport building a bomber box and that it.
    For $800-$1000, packasport can be yours to own!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

There are quite a few Packasports on the PNW Craigslist, particularly in Oregon. One of the downfalls of the Packasport is its weight, it is heavy.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Honestly haven't even thought about it. Make an offer? That'd be rad if you're coming through town, could work out perfect. Send me a PM with your info and we can figure out if it'll work.

3 way? Im in. pm sent to monkeywrench.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    3 way? Im in. pm sent to monkeywrench.
    I'm in if Particle swings that way. Waiting on particles response. PM sent to AKA.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    I'm in if Particle swings that way. Waiting on particles response. PM sent to AKA.
    dude's got a ponytail, he's into it. also awaiting particles response.

Hmm sorry for some reason my email alerts stopped sending on this thread. Yep, I'm in. monkey give me a call if you're in town. Let's do this.