Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I <3 CX

I <3 CX

I am a full on CX addict at the moment.
    I'm currently racing on a singlespeed that doubles as my commuter, but I'm having fantasies of the setup I will be putting together next year...with gears, even. Not really thinking about a DH rig, or a trail rig....but a focking skinny 700c wheel with knobs.
    Anybody else?
    If nothing else, its a great excuse to go rally in some mud when the mtb trails are unrideable. Trading a little paint on the first few laps is pretty damn fun too.

Cue: smartass Woo comment in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Psychcross is a blast!!

After borrowing a friends bike a couple times this year I am for sure getting a bike next year.

Most like the same one he has Redline Conquest Pro

me in the blue and green racing the A field since it was MTB/Cross series.

I am still not one of those freaks that will drive for 3 hours to race for an hour though...

Flowtron,

Do local rules allow you to race with discs? I've heard some circuits won't allow them. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Cue: smartass Woo comment in 5, 4, 3, 2....
    Don't be silly. I wouldn't dare.
    It sounds like you've really discovered a very rewarding outlet my friend. I'm happy you've found such satisfaction in your new endeavor and can only imagine the good times that lie ahead. If the disciplines of bicycle riding that were once a greater focus of yours fall by the wayside, then so be it. Follow your heart.

You forgot the "O" in COX in your thread title btw.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I think 26" HTs are for DJ and DS. If you want to cover ground on a HT, get a 29er.

Burly trail riding HTs are nichey and can certainly be fun(I spent many years shredding on such rigs), but just seem kind of anachronistic.
    160mm HT is to MTB what Fixie is to Road.
    then where does CX fall?!
    so confusing!

sorta how I feel about my 26" HT.

I've thought about trying a race the last few seasons, but always get scared and find a way out at the last minute. There is a Utah race this weekend, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Would I be out of line starting in Men's C? Never tried CX before and cannot get back on the bike without coming to a complete stop. I just ain't that limber.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I've thought about trying a race the last few seasons, but always get scared and find a way out at the last minute. There is a Utah race this weekend, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Would I be out of line starting in Men's C? Never tried CX before and cannot get back on the bike without coming to a complete stop. I just ain't that limber.

if they have USCA or UCI rules all you can normally enter is C....

CX is amazing. I borrowed a bike a couple of times this season. I finished 5th yesterday at the Krugers which was extremely muddy. I am also fantasizing of my build for next year....

taking the cross bike out on singletrack that you ride on a FS bike is a super-fun change of pace, trying to haul down descents in a roadie position, using brakes that barely work compared to a good set of discs, on tires that are so narrow you think you're riding bare rims.

I would prefer to race CX in a singlespeed class if I raced CX.

but we all know the urge to ride CX is explained here: [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175503"]hipsters discuss cx - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

I watched the Krugers race yesterday. Killer trail conditions. Some of my DH buddies are getting into CX as something to do in the winter. looks super fun, I would like to try it.

A couple of stupid questions:

does anyone run flat bars? I feel like coming from so much MTBing I would much prefer flat bars.

Can you run a gravity dropper?

Rules say canti brakes only right?

If I ride a 54 cm road bike, do I ride a 54 cm CX bike?

I promised my buddy who got into the crosscrusade races this year that I'd ride with him at least once next year, so I'm going to spend some time converting my touring bike (the geometry will be slack, but I won't need a new ride).
    Dirka - the UCI rules only apply if you're trying to accumulate points and compete - if you're out racing for fun you can ride whatever you want. I saw a garage welded chopper with coaster brakes at a race a few weeks ago and routinely see XC MTBs.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Yeah, cross is pretty damn fun.

Dirka - yep, 54 cm bike (if the geo is similar)...and UCI rules usually only apply to UCI events. Run what you want to in the OBRA series events...

Yep, like everyone else said, you can ride anything you want, unless its a UCI race. The only rule here in CO is no bar ends.

I would not run a gravity dropper, unless you want to see how quick you can break it.

A pic from last week. Greasy.
    Me in the middle, trying to hang on.

nice tights
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

CX is why jesus invented dirt jumps. Left to their own devices, mankind comes up with all sorts of self destructive weird shit when he can't ride singletrack. He made dirtjumps because he loves us.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

DirkaDirka... I raced Kruger's yesterday. The mud was ridiculous, heavy to pedal through and pretty slippery at times. We were talking about how advantageous a MTB background was for yesterday's course over a roadie background. Not a high speed course, more of a power and skills course.

In the Spokane CX series, MTBs can't race in the same cats as CX bikes, the rules stipulate 700cc wheels only (not sure what they'd say about 29ers though)...

our local cross series lets people ride 29" MTBs with whatever bar they want, flat - riser - drop - hipster.

you are all homosexuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's the men in spandex, I can't take it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    you are all homosexuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's the men in spandex, I can't take it.
    spandex looks horrible, I actually doubt a gay guy would ever wear it. I am sure they wear rontele like manpris

good luck CX racing in anything but though remount and dismounts are no fun with baggies.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    good luck CX racing in anything but though remount and dismounts are no fun with baggies.

I've jumped on and off just about every bike I've ever owned, pretty regularly with no problems.

But throw a bunch of guys in spandex together in a muddy field and it becomes a "remount".

It's just not right.

Yeah but for every dude out there, there is a spandex clad girl covered in mud....think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    Yeah but for every dude out there, there is a spandex clad girl covered in mud....think about it...
    1:1??

Bullshit

If the ratio truly is 1:1, what would you suggest as a good entry level cyclocross bike for someone with extensive road and mtb experience?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    1:1??

Bullshit

If the ratio truly is 1:1, what would you suggest as a good entry level cyclocross bike for someone with extensive road and mtb experience?
    ahah it aint one to one but its better than MTBing or road.

I've gotten completely hooked on CX racing this year too.

Picked up a Giant TCX from my shop in September to race with, but now I already want to sell it, and get a singlespeed 'Cross frame.

I actually raced my singlespeed 29'er mountain bike in an Open Singlespeed division this weekend and got 7th out of 20 and beat a bunch of guys with gears too. It's pretty fun beating what is essentially a bunch of roadies while riding my mountain bike But now I have my heart set on a Ventana 'Cross bike with track fork ends to race single.

One thing I'm really amped on is that my town has a small rodeo arena (yes, a freaking arena built specifically for rodeos) that is used all of of 1 time per year when the annual rodeo blows into town. Well, now we are putting night time cyclocross races at the arena that will have us racing under the lights in the arena through bmx style course, running up the freaking grandstands, then out the back and into the woods through some nutty singletrack that will be strung with christmas lights throughout the trees. Races run every Wednesday night starting this week and go into February..I'm stoked! Should be super fun.

Particle -- Race C in your first race. no shame in that at all, that's what I did for my first race. It's completely different than anythinig you've ever done. if you dominate, then great, bump up for the next race.

'Woo -- the above pics were taken a month ago from a race at the Sacramento College Cyclery Compound. Have you ever been here? You would dig it -> http://bikemag.com/av/flash/randy-sp...dirt-compound/
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 11-23-2009 at 05:39 PM.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    the arena that will have us racing under the lights in the arena through bmx style course, running up the freaking grandstands, then out the back and into the woods through some nutty singletrack that will be strung with christmas lights throughout the trees.
    That sounds pretty fun actually.

Spangler told me about that spot at CC a while ago when they first started working on it. Looks pretty cool.