Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ketchum Skiing Stoke

Here are some pictures from the last few weeks, early season skiing Sun Valley style. There have been plenty of nutjobs hiking the hill to sample the smorgasborg, and there have been some great turns to be had, and some truly awful ones. Thankfully it has stayed cold and even snowed a little. We are in great shape for opening day on Thanksgiving.

For a more traditional tr, check out this Halloween expedition:

http://mattlphoto.smugmug.com/Skiing...99334366_VvQ9s

Enjoy the start of ski season.

In my van. Not down by the river, but in the ski area parking lot.
    Beautiful. Thanks for the great pics! I'll be there towards the end of December...so shred some of that pow and let's get a base going.
    Tats

"What do you call a ski bum who loses his girlfriend?"
    "Homeless."

backcountry.com
    christatsuno.com Give me a virtual high-five and click on my blog!

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    knee deep freshies off the top yesterday. It aint epic but it sure feels good. Bring on the top to bottom 3000 feet of groomerized fury this T-Day!
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

If only that was part of the ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post

I have always wonder how they make moguls

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Where are the new gondy pictures?

It has been thin around here too.

The locals have been scanning the horizon for signs of relief

Finally the powerful jet stream of doom succeeded in penetrating the dreaded high pressure and gave us our first respectable dump in over a year. The guy in orange can't believe it.

The locals are excited.

Ode to Scott Markewitz:

Ketchum is a great town, I like hanging out there.

The ski resort can be fun too but has a HUGE problem. Not a single good cliff on the entire hill. How can you have a "world class" ski resort without a single good air except cat tracks to jump off. It always blew me away on powder days since there is no air at all. It's not like there are other resorts with cliffs to jump nearby either. I always give my Ketchum friends shit about this because they are great guys and good skiers but were denied cliff jumping at their home mountain all their life. Not even one cliff.

What they lack in cliffs, they make up for in good bars. Whiskey's is back open and all is well. My band will be up there the Saturday of President's Day weekend. Pray for snow boys, we're gettin' it down here this week, I hope you do too.

loJack Guest
    After 54 painful days of skiing race injected boiler slate old man winter finally gave us a taste of what the mighty El Nino "might" have in store for us. Didn't get to take photos until the last run of the day because as that little bitch Annie sang "the sun will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar that."

Chkn doing everything in his power to bring a storm in.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Its fun taking pictures of Joe, he straightlines, sprays you, then pops out of the spray and runs you over.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sol Skier
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by nbt View Post

The ski resort can be fun too but has a HUGE problem. Not a single good cliff on the entire hill. How can you have a "world class" ski resort without a single good air except cat tracks to jump off. It always blew me away on powder days since there is no air at all. It's not like there are other resorts with cliffs to jump nearby either. I always give my Ketchum friends shit about this because they are great guys and good skiers but were denied cliff jumping at their home mountain all their life. Not even one cliff.
    you are totally right no cliff just amazing bowls and all the frenchman on powder days

and also one of the best big fast, top to bottom groomers in the world = warm springs/ limelight

i have learned that while sv loses to places like squaw in terms of cliffs it makes up in the general ability of everyone who rips there. Skier or snowboarder, people there are seasoned, in shape and ski hard.

bump to sv and this thread

It always blew me away on powder days since there is no air at all.
    Would you really want to be hucking on 4 inch "powder days" anyway?

i have learned that while sv loses to places like squaw in terms of cliffs it makes up in the general ability of everyone who rips there. Skier or snowboarder, people there are seasoned, in shape and ski hard.
    There is definitely an inverse relationship between average ability and proximity to a major city (exception Utah). Skiing steep hardpack and bumps makes for good skiers as well.

You sir, are a dumb ass (or is it pronounced DU-MAHS?)

There are HUGE cliffs at Sun Valley. Unfortunately they are on bad aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    ^^ exactly. I have some sick shit on my hit list that I will get to once we get enough snow on those low elevation south slope hucks. 20 foot to 25 foot double stagers. right under the lift. steep and grassy sage brush terrain in the landing zones. Maybe this year, maybe next, or whenever. I will be ready
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

This picture pretty much sums up the week:

More of Matt Leidecker's photos from friday here:

http://www.mattlphoto.smugmug.com/Skiing-Galleries/skigallery

Quote Originally Posted by Super G View Post
    ^^ exactly. I have some sick shit on my hit list that I will get to once we get enough snow on those low elevation south slope hucks. 20 foot to 25 foot double stagers. right under the lift. steep and grassy sage brush terrain in the landing zones. Maybe this year, maybe next, or whenever. I will be ready

quoted for truth.

I have been here 10+ years and used to feel the same....ie that there where no cliffs, especially coming from utah. Then one day it snowed 3 ft and a nice base and a whole new world opened up here. I was AMAZED at the day. There are some large cliffs to be had, in several different locations, but all need more than average snowpack.

When skiable they are all time!

and the bars are always good to go....
    one step forward, no step backward

A couple of snapshots from a truly deep week in Sun Valley. It might not happen often, and maybe that's a good thing because otherwise I wouldn't get shit done.

Someone made all those tracks

Lojack keeping his tips up

Chikndinner approves

Nice pics, Sol. Today was definitely delicious...got two laps in on Guntower while it was briefly open...so deep.

It's funny, though...I know Chickndinner, I know LoJack, but I still haven't figured out who you are...
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

loJack Guest
    Reverend, here are a couple of Sol that will be of little help in your efforts to identify him or maybe not.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

DJ ripping while his marathon running, avocado farmer, buddy gets his teeth whitened.

[IMG][/IMG]

Collins

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post

nice shots...
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

Just keep telling yourself that. And stay away. As you can see from the pics it sucks here. And there are a bunch of Mormons here too, but with no air.

You are so Gnar. x2.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Nice pics, Sol. Today was definitely delicious...got two laps in on Guntower while it was briefly open...so deep.

It's funny, though...I know Chickndinner, I know LoJack, but I still haven't figured out who you are...
    And who are you Floater?
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

shit I don't know any of you guys! I'll be in line tomorrow 9 a.m. on gold Gotamas.

Is that Hodge up there ^^^ on the snowboard?