Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to get a dog to stop barking - Suggestions?

So my dog, a 5 year old 55 pound black lab mutt, is moving from a house to an apartment with another dog and her barking is going to be an issue. She gets excited when she hears something or if someone is walking around her home and in an apartment this is going to happen more often.

In addition to working with her on it, I was looking for some assistance and have heard good things about the citronella spray collars and possibly a shock collar.

Anybody have any stories, recommendations or suggestions?

And here's a pic of her just for some doggie/ski stoke

]

Quiet, then spray bottle, with the progression going to just saying quiet and no spraying.

Worked for our English Setter, the terrier aint getting it so quick.

All you have to do is say... sssssshhhhhht... like you really mean it. It helps if your Latino.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    cinnamon binaca works wonders, if that doesn't work, tabasco in a water pistol, but you MUST be a good aim
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

We use a citronella collar with our lab. Seems to work once in a while. Most labs I know just end to bark a lot. Even the really well behaved labs.

She's pretty good when we're home, using verbal commands, it's when no ones home that she's started barking.

Kill it....

The spray bark collars work. The downside is if the dog is smart enough (doesnt take much) they know they can bark when they don't have it on.

i usually use those gloves that have the lead inserts. A few swift whacks for about a week tends to straighten the mongrel out.

give it a flat the next time it barks, dogs dont enjoy those.

or in the words of ice cube "I gotta problem solva and his name is revolver."
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Had the same problem with our Greyhound. Got a shock collar and used it one day with the batteries in and then just put it on him with the batteries out. Seemed to work fine with our dog. Hated to use the collar, but couldn't have him barking all day when we were out.

sour apple spray from the pet store works good if you pair it with a quiet command.

Also, whenever it barks, call it over to you and give it a treat if it'll stay quiet. You have to take their attention off whatever is making them bark.

For fucks sake - it's for when the dog is ALONE. The next person to say "Just spray XXXX on them when they bark" is getting punched in the throat.

Just spray XXXX on them when they bark

Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    For fucks sake - it's for when the dog is ALONE. The next person to say "Just spray XXXX on them when they bark" is getting punched in the throat.
    But if he/she is alone then who is there to hear it? Kinda like when a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there, does it make a noise?

Only the landlord and other tenants, and eventually me to hear through notes left on the door or calls from the landlord. Maybe I should move to the forest

doughboyshredder Guest
    2 dogs in an apartment? That's just not cool. For the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    We use a citronella collar with our lab.
    I have some friends who have two basset hounds. They tried shock collars and the dogs would bark, get shocked, start to howl, the collars would shock, the dogs would howl more, the collars would keep shocking...it was bad. They also had problems with them shocking each other. They would sleep right next to each other and one would bark and they both would get shocked. The one who didn't bark would yelp from the unexpected shock and both collars would fire again, etc. They switched to citronella collar and they work great.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Depends, is it the neighbors dog? I hate my fucking neighbors dogs! We have tried talking to them but that had zero effect so I bought a milk carton like jug of stuff from pet co and used a fan to blow it into their back yard whenever we were trying to enjoy our pool area during the summer. That worked for a while but the only thing that really worked was to light a firecracker every time they started barking, after a while all I had to do was move in the back yard when they were barking and they would run like hell for the back door.
    Now, before you all call PETA on me, please know that I am a former dog owner but for the above reason I would never have another one unless I lived outside of city limits again. And I would never do anything to physicaly hurt an animal, Pavlovian responses to loud noises seem to work for me.
    Last edited by bedoe; 11-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.

We used a citronella spray collar on a small terrier, which worked great when it was on and functional but once it was off or she knew the battery had died all bets were off.
    If you french fry when you pizza you're going to have a bad time.

BSS Guest
    get her a pet crocodile?

Teach him to talk?
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

we have an ultrasonic noise activated speaker/buzzer thing. Seems to work ok on ours and our nieghbors dogs pretty good but it goes through alot of batteries. It can be plugged in but I have it in such a location that I would have to run a long ass extention cord to it. Not sure where my wife bought it from but.....