Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I was back in mile long about 2 pm yesterday and the "slide" was definatly soft slab with no visible crown. Seemed like more like sluff. There was also about 2-3 inches of fresh snow on top of the debris. I also did not witness any natural slides or signs of instability. We did play it extremely safe though. Have fun and be safe back there today!
    Bonfire Films

Quote Originally Posted by molson14 View Post
    This link should work. Crazy line down Central for sure!

http://www.jhavalanche.org/summaries.php
    Those are Mike Tierney's tracks/signiture on Central Chute
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Thanks. However, I'm a slight retard when it comes to the string of numbers you posted, unless there's a reference to Star Wars in there. I searched for info but came up slightly dumber than before. Any idea where I can go to educate myself?
    soft slab, skier-triggered, small slide (relative to path), could bury/kill a human, slid on old-new snow interface.

Quote Originally Posted by pattyowe View Post
    I was back in mile long about 2 pm yesterday and the "slide" was definatly soft slab with no visible crown. Seemed like more like sluff. There was also about 2-3 inches of fresh snow on top of the debris. I also did not witness any natural slides or signs of instability. We did play it extremely safe though. Have fun and be safe back there today!
    it's been presented as a slide rather than a sluff. skis lost, human had to be dug out (partial burial). you can call it as you see it, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by elevens View Post
    Those are Mike Tierney's tracks/signiture on Central Chute
    there was natural slide activity in central earlier in the storm cycle (friday), before even more loading occurred. the skier ripping that line does have the advantage of skiing it fast, but there's really nowhere to go, if it does decide to go.

to me...it looks like it did "go"...a little. you can see a small pocket ripped just below the choke section in the middle.

boney still and huge air...good send!!!!

could a line like central really ever go "huge"...avalanche wise? seems to me constant sloughing and smaller pockets would be more the norm.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    soft slab, skier-triggered, small slide (relative to path), could bury/kill a human, slid on old-new snow interface.

it's been presented as a slide rather than a sluff. skis lost, human had to be dug out (partial burial). you can call it as you see it, of course.

My reference to the mile long slide was from Monday, as I made that post Tuesday morning, before the latest mile long slide. I was not referencing the slide that occured tuesday afternoon.
    Bonfire Films

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post

could a line like central really ever go "huge"...avalanche wise? seems to me constant sloughing and smaller pockets would be more the norm.
    Should one be concerned about the suspended mass in that cornice or is that just a human trigger (walking out on it) or wet slide issue? Or, to ask more precisely, can one trigger a cornice break from below, in cold weather, via the vibrations of a slough or small slide?

Quote Originally Posted by pattyowe View Post
    My reference to the mile long slide was from Monday, as I made that post Tuesday morning, before the latest mile long slide. I was not referencing the slide that occured tuesday afternoon.
    i know. you posted on tuesday and wrote "yesterday". deephelmet's question was posted on monday night, as was my reply to him. (though based on a PM he sent to me there could have been ANOTHER incident in there.)

we're both talking about events on monday -- though i guess there could be more than one..

that monday event (afternoon) that i described caught one person (partial burial) and skis were lost. more than a sluff. perhaps there was another (minor) incident that you witnessed?

it's starting to see more traffic, and people coming down on top of you always seems to me the biggest hazard in there.

stay safe, every day until the dirt.

Here are a few shots from some inbounds stuff yesterday (2/2) morning:
    edit- here is the link: [ame="http://vimeo.com/9166782"]http://vimeo.com/9166782[/ame]

As for the dangers of Central (there are a couple...) I thought I heard stories of someone falling the length of it with skis on backpack after the cornice broke under them. Also, even the tiniest pocket pulling out anywhere above the choke would change your run dramatically. Obviously.

and tacos

the morning O-face

Quote Originally Posted by SkiJunky05 View Post
    Here are a few shots from some inbounds stuff yesterday (2/2) morning:
    edit- here is the link:

As for the dangers of Central (there are a couple...) I thought I heard stories of someone falling the length of it with skis on backpack after the cornice broke under them. Also, even the tiniest pocket pulling out anywhere above the choke would change your run dramatically. Obviously.

and tacos
    nice stuff all around, diggin the pow facetime at 2:40

Yesterday was fun. Managed to talk my friend who is a casual skier into taking the hike and we took a few shots on mellow terrain but out of about fifty exposures I was only in frame for a couple of them.

Found lots of stuff that was better but I was by myself

Good to be here with snow and no crowds.

Seems like all the crowds were in the park on Tuesday. Ran into 10 other people on Shadow... kindof freaked me out. But stability was good- a layer of old surface hoar about 35 cm down wasn't reactive, and the depth hoar is now down 140 to 180 cm and starting to get wet.

Further out in the Snake River Range everything is very very reactive, according to a recent report- shallower snowpack, steeper terrain, more facets. Love to hear from one of the High Mtn Heli folks as to the differences. Anyone?

passs was $$ yesterday....observer good stability on a few 35 degree slopes. anyways more new snow today

GET SOME!
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

o yes

"I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

a few from today 2-4-10... some of the video is !!!!!

i still suck at editing sequence shots together if anyone has any tips

sweet dog stoke!

Get there tomorrow. Will post up some after trip pics.

Foghee today was nice.

Wife's friend Kari on the board.

Lucky dude from Iowa getting some.

And as long as dog stoke is cool in this thread our pupper likes the Ghee too!

Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    o yes

Quality

"The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

I love it when 8" turns out to be 8"-16". I hope they never fix that (s)notell gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I love it when 8" turns out to be 8"-16". I hope they never fix that (s)notell gauge.
    Just like the Village today...

Targhee is bringing back the daylight savings pass.
    Very fair deal if you are coming for more than a few days...

http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/dc/laun...=fehekb5nkpsln

Daylight Savings Pass Returns to Grand Targhee Resort

(Alta, WY – February 8, 2010) Grand Targhee Resort will offer the Daylight Savings Pass again for the 2009-10 Winter Season.

“We’re one of just a few resorts in the country to have hit the 300” inch mark for snowfall this season and our conditions are fantastic,” said Shannon Brooks Hamby. “During our past two seasons we received an average of 12 feet of snow through March and April, so the Daylight Savings Pass offers an incredible value for what can be some of the best snow of the season.”

Daylight Savings Pass pricing will remain the same as the introductory 2008-09 season, with the adult pass breaking even in less than three days of skiing or riding. The Daylight Savings Pass will go on sale on February 13, 2010. It is valid starting March 14, 2010 to coincide with the inception of daylight savings time, and allows purchasers unlimited access to the slopes at Grand Targhee Resort through closing day, Sunday, April 11, 2010.

Passes may be purchased online at http://shop.grandtarghee.com, in the Activities Center on the Main Plaza or by calling the Activity Center at 1-307-353-2300 x1355.

Daylight Savings Pass

Valid March 14, 2010 through April 11, 2010

Adult (23 - 64 yrs)

$199

Young Adult (13 - 22 yrs)

$169

Senior (65 yrs and over)

$99

Junior (6-12 yrs and under)

$99

www.grandtarghee.com.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

my dad has close to 5 feet of snow at his house in maryland?! this has nothing to do with jackson except that I am here and jealous. maybe we should bring back burrito talk. or margarita talk...even better

I'm bored and the snow blows and it's snowing 2"/hr back in NY where I'm from, so here's some stoke until it looks like this again

Jameson Florence

Bryce Newcomb

Tyler Horne

Jacqui Edgerly

youre crazy, the snow kicks ass right now

fuckin straight hero snow