Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice wanted: Not about sex or relationships, I want some shit-kickers.

This is nothing life threatening. No relationships hang in the balance. Borders won't change. And my boss didn't invite me over for a weekend of lite swinging.

Call me a drugstore cowboy, but I want some cowboy boots. I'm not looking for advice on color or style; but, any suggestions on what brands to buy and which to avoid would be helpful.

I'll say it before somebody else does; I'm definitely not considering these.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    I have bought 2 pairs since 1994-both Naccona's, both custom made, both STILL kicking shit. I have run through a few pair of super thin soles on them-something about a leather sole and ice doesn't seem to mix too well. I had a small amount of dry rot in the first pair after about 7 years, had the toe sewn up, good as new, and you can barely notice the stitching-unless you look REAL hard as I kick you in the taint. Second pair were bought in 99-they still look good as new, but DAMN they are comfy. One thing to think about is when you are buying a boot, cost is relative to the quality imo-the better the leather types (and more expensive), i.e. cape buffalo, elephant, etc, the longer they will last vs. your standard cowhide. Also, the better the leather, the longer break in period (the downside). One more thing to note, if you want the best feeling feet in your boots, you may take a look at ordering them one size wider and putting a good, but thin insole in them--this makes a WORLD of difference
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Finally, an advice column I can chime in on! As a 4th generation son of a Wyoming rancher and a member of the national champion high school roping team (a long tim e ago) I am well qualified to answer this! I would not buy Ariat's they tend to pull your socks down. I prefer the Ropers, they are more comfortable for long term wear. I have a pair of Olathes that I have worn for over 12 years through their share of cow shit and and horse shit and some serious western 2 stepping and they are still my all time favorite boots! I would not buy the cheap sub $100 boots, but there is no reason to buy the plus $300 pairs either.
    Good luck in purchasing what can indeed be a long time love affair.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Blundstones...

Aussie cowboy boots. Sooooo much better imho.

Blundstones...
    Who knew? Aussie cowboys are ghey!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I will agree with Telee, Ariats are a good over the counter work boot (IF they have them in your size). If you are looking for a good all around work boot, try a lace up Roper. ONE company I strongly urge you to stay away from is Justin, their boots imo are very similar to Merrill-Junk. They fall apart if you look at them funny. I have had 2 pair of lace up ropers and both pairs the leather broke down in a matter of weeks, not even months and the stitching blew out.

But I disagree with telee on the point of over 300 for a pair-you get what you pay for imo. In the time i have owned 2 pair of custom made 350 dollar boots, most everyone i know who wear boots on a regular basis have blown through at the very least 5-6 pairs of 150-200 dollar boots. Plus, you know as well as i do, the break in period for new boots suck and the less pairs you have to break in the better off you are
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    What about Wyoming Cowboys?

Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    What about Wyoming Cowboys?

check to dumpy

Lucchese boots I've always liked. White boots are built like a brick shit house. - Dancing in a 1/4" of spilled beer is a great way to break them in.

And those guy's were sheep herders not cowboys. Like anyone was surprised by that.

Xtra Tufs -literally kick shit

I have a couple pairs of Justin boots (black and brown), 1 pair of Ariat's (ostrich), and 1 pair of Chippewa boots (buffalo hide). The Chippewa boots are by far the most comfortable (and the least dressy), they even have a Vibram sole.

If you are looking for a work type boot they would be my recommendation....I could ask my father in law, he must have like 200 pairs of boots given to him by all the reps when he owned a company that sold boots....

Edit- Not sure what you're looking for in a boot, but assuming it may be used for work purposes, consider:

Packer (No, not fudge packer) boots kick a$$! A shit-kicker with laces, making it, for me at least, a more practical option over those brokeback mt. pull-on faggy thingys. You can have these made-to-fit at places like White's Boots or Westco and, in some cases, specify the outsole.

Daniel Ortega eats here.

But I disagree with telee on the point of over 300 for a pair-you get what you pay for imo. In the time i have owned 2 pair of custom made 350 dollar boots, most everyone i know who wear boots on a regular basis have blown through at the very least 5-6 pairs of 150-200 dollar boots. Plus, you know as well as i do, the break in period for new boots suck and the less pairs you have to break in the better off you are
    Actually, I agree with you I just happen to be good friends of a boot shop owner, so my custom mades are more in the $275 range. I am talking about the $700 pair of wannabe boots that were never meant to see dirt let alone cowshit.

And, like bluejet said, everbody knows sheepherders are the ghey. DUH!

Whites. Packer style, lace 'em up. That's how you sort out the cowboys from the sheepporkers and the country music lovers.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    I could ask my father in law, he must have like 200 pairs of boots given to him by all the reps when he owned a company that sold boots....
    If your father wears a size 8, maybe we should talk.

What about Dan Post and Tony Lama? Are they junk?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

I wore Tony Lama's for years and years because the last just fit me good. I don't know if that's changed at all. Dan Post, Justins, Acme, never went there.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    What about Dan Post and Tony Lama? Are they junk?
    Yo, Gadget, if you're going to walk the walk, you might as well talk the talk.

Say "Baaaaaah".

Go on, say it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

DAMN, i was TRYING to keep Whites out of this. For a custom fitted and made workboot, NOTHING beats the 10" Smokejumper Lace Up, NOTHING. I had 8 years on mine before they needed to be rebuilt. In that time, they had to go back to the factory initially a few times for a better fitting boot, but NOTHING to this day has EVER performed like them. Nicks i have heard are close, but damn i love my Whites.

IMO, Dan Post and Tony Lama are overpriced, under performing pretty boy boots that will never make it past a few times being scuffed or some shit getting on the toes. Once upon a time, they were ok, but, much like most of Dewalt stuff, they are living off their name, not their quality.

Plus, since Inspector G says he likes drugged cowboy's, i figured he wasn't into REAL work boots, he was into knocking boots

I wear these every day and they are solid. Got a little over 6 years on my last pair that were admittedly destroyed by then:

google: double h work western Mocc Toe Work Western

A good place to purchase boots is pfi western.

Definitely get a work sole for traction.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I knew you were ghey when you started worrying that your boots made you look ghey.

I love a bar that has that little hand written sign that says " No Caulked Boots" nothing spells trouble like that.

http://www.lucchese.com/

Fucking awesome. Damn near any leather you can think of.

I have actually had really good luck with Dan Post. Lama's are my current boot, but my boots are more for work than for line dancing. I found a really solid pair of Lama's on the rack in my size for a great discount. I wanted a pair of plain brown, no fancy stitching or exotic leathers and these fit the bill.

Back to the Dan Posts, took me 10 years to wear a pair out and at the time I was working with horses on a almost daily basis. I could clean them up and head to the bar at the end of the day and they kept going strong. I still have them, they need a new sole, which will prob happen after the holidays. The best advice I could give you is to go to a speciality store and try on a variety of boots and see which one feels the best. Remember they will get a little bigger as you wear them. But I have a real high in-step so it's a crap shoot for me on what feels decent. Like ski boots you have to try them on, then take a little leap of faith that they'll break in and feel great.

I wear mine daily in the fall and spring, switch it up a little in the summer months.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by dk_alaskan View Post
    Plus, since Inspector G says he likes cowgirl's, i figured he wasn't into REAL work boots, he was into knocking boots
    Come on now folks, I'm a mortgage guy, I'm not steer wrestling.

The closest my boots will likely get to real cowboyin' is the Oakley rodeo on the 4th of Ju-ly.

I'm thinking ostrich or elephant or monitor lizard, not laces.

I can see you in some of these:

And they will be broken in so when you get that killer hog, you already have boots. (I love mine).