Atomic Rex/ or 10ex

Since we lost all the info on skis/boots/bindings etc we need to rebuild the archives so we can tell the jongs to go search for something! So chip in your thoughts below
    Last edited by laseranimal; 12-29-2003 at 06:24 AM.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

great skis but Atomic uses too hard a metal in the edges so it becomes brittle and cracks easily (I've cracked the edges on 2 pair of Atomics in 2 years). holds an edge well and gets good flotation.

they're like the same ski except one is different.

fuck it

Is your name Rex, or Tex? That should be the first question you ask yourself when trying to determine if you're a dog or a cowboy.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    The cracked edge problem is warranty and I got my new pair. The brittle metal si supposed to be fixed this year. Love the skis, great balance between performance and floatation/stability.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I have a pair of 191 10.EXs. These are really stiff planks. They have quite a bit of shape to them, so they really rail on hardpack. (most Atomics do) They are also an incredible crud ski. They will slice and dice anything and everything, provided you have some speed. They are so much of a plank that without speed, bending these beasts is rather difficult (I'm 6'1" 170#) If you are less than 200#, stick to the 180-somethings.

In pow, they are pretty decent (88 waist is pretty much a mid-fat these days) but don't give nearly the float of the 100+ monsters. I have also found that they also have a little dive to them as well. I think that's a function of the stiffness.

All in all an excellent all mountain choice.

edit: Also forgot to mention that they are rather light for their performance, making the 10.EX a very popular touring ski. Later models are called the R:EX and the T:EX. The T:EX is meant for telemarking. I'm not sure how it differs from the R:EX.
    Last edited by joshbu; 11-04-2003 at 10:59 AM.

Talking

I just got some 184 R:EXs. I have skied them yet. I haven't mounted them yet, but they look cool, so I got that going for me.
    I froze your tears and made a dagger. - David Brent

i like this ski alot. only skied them on corn and frozen corn and rocks and grass so far(lenas had a low snow year). they railed on all of these surfaces. very stable platform at high speed. probly wont ski them much in the light stuff, even back here on the ec. they will be carvers for me, and lovers

awesome ski. i have the 198s. i've taken them from wachusett's polar express to the marte. sweet ski for maching through bumpy trees at jay, dicing placa at lenas or trenching boilerplate at wawa. flickable, stable, carvy, super quick, floats surprisingly well. and they're a great combo of quick and stable. zoom zoom.

everyone should have a pair of these.

I have the R:EX in 184 and it is the best ski I have ever had!! 6'1" and 195lbs...stable at speed, good in crud, and super fun in pow. Buy em, you won't be disappointed!

ripped out the edge on day 11 of skiin the 198 10ex's, but lo and behold the cracked edge on the other ski, thank you mister warren t - now got the rex 198s... what they all said but wait for good coverage cuz foam explodes on impact and the repair is tough to make bomber...

Bumping ancient thread.... (see, search function is useful for something)

Is the 10EX the same ski as the REX? Same sidecut, same flex, same construction (except edge issue noted above), everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Atomic softened the flex after the first year or two. Otherwise I think everything is the same.

The 10.Ex/R:Ex and the NoKaOi are my favorite all-around skis. I absolutely love 'em. Light, solid, great edge hold, quick to turn, sufficient in powder, and stable at speed. I don't notice any difference in performance between my 10.Ex's and my R:Ex's.

Been on a pair of 03/04 r:ex's as my #1 ski for the last 2 seasons... they definitley rail on hardpack and just destroy the crud. I've had some tip dive issues in the deeper stuff but that's about the only knock on them.

That said, they're getting relegated to #2 ski this year in favour of bros, I wanted something fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by OffAxis
    I just got some 184 R:EXs. I have skied them ... I haven't mounted them yet
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Has the new Atomic S:EX come out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Bumping ancient thread.... (see, search function is useful for something)

Is the 10EX the same ski as the REX? Same sidecut, same flex, same construction (except edge issue noted above), everything?
    Someone above mentioned the 10EX waist as being 88mm.....I don't have mine nearby to look at but am pretty sure the REXs are 84mm waist.
    Very stiff, light, and lively ski. There isn't an Atomic plate requiring an Atomic binding. Un-believable camber built into these things, which probably contributes to tip dive, but only in really deep pow. These things are fairly nimble in bumps when necessary, so this is going to be my all around east coast ski this year......after I fix that blown edge.
    I give it a nine out of ten ranking and only hold back 1 cause of the tip dive.
    6' 2 1/2'' 200lbs 191cm
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Yeah, R:EX 84mm waist.

I have pair to sell if anybody is interested.

Good ski. Not great in pow proper and has a fat tail (no butter, rails only).