The Fine Line- new Drive By Truckers

Kicks ass!! Might be in the running for my favorite, although I say that every time they put an album out [but SRO will always be #1, and it's out on vinyl!]

The Fine Line is subtitled 'A Collection of Rarities and Oddities', and it is. Couple of remakes [Uncle Frank and Goode's Field Road], a few covers [of Tom Petty, Warren Zevon and Dylan], and a few new ones. Their cover of 'Like a Rolling Stone' is great, with each [Patterson, Shonna, Jason and Stroker Ace] taking a verse...

One fun song to listen to, until you figure out the lyrics, is 'Momma Bake a Pie [Daddy Kill a Chicken]'. Lots of twangy pedal steel and a fun melody. Except it's actually a pretty dark anti-war song. Leave it to the Truckers to mix it up like that...

Good stuff! Anybody else picked it up?
    see ya at the rock show-turn it up!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

thanks for the heads up Tye. Gonna get this.

Love the intro to Let There Be Rock when he talks about rock n roll saving his life. not a lot of banter coming from the stage that i can relate to since most artists spew political bullshit (nothing against politics, except when i am trying to have a good time and listen/dance to some music), but that speech gets me every time.

Didnt know they had anything new out until I saw this, I will be checking it out as well.

To clarify, these are kinda 'outtakes' from a few years ago. Several if not many include Jason Isbell, so that give you DBT savvy mags a sense of the timing...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

I miss Isbell a lot of the time. Think his songwriting is great.

They need to come my way this winter. I need a fucking whiskey-drinkin', rockin' DBT show about now!!!

Where are you? Patterson is doing a shitload of touring at the moment for his solo album, which btw kicks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    To clarify, these are kinda 'outtakes' from a few years ago. Several if not many include Jason Isbell, so that give you DBT savvy mags a sense of the timing...
    DBT?
    Down Bound Train?

Say it ain't so...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have yet to pick up the new offering because I suck. I also do not have the new Live from Austin. I suck for not having them yet.

MF

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    DBT?
    Down Bound Train?

Say it ain't so...
    it ain't so

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I have yet to pick up the new offering because I suck. I also do not have the new Live from Austin. I suck for not having them yet.

MF
    The trailer for 'Live from Austin' didn't do that much for me. Anybody else have it and have any thoughts on it? I do dig that DVD of the 40 Watt footage of The Dirty South..., 'Never Gonna Change' on that kicks serious ass.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    DBT?
    Down Bound Train?

Say it ain't so...
    hows that knee? you had surgery did you not?

Thanks for the heads up, TYO! Hope we get a copy at the station.

I can't believe Isbell left, he has a killer voice for their lyrics/style. I'm not a fan of his solo project and not digging his lyrics, not nearly as dark as the earlier DBT plus the back-up is completely different. Kinda reminds me of Son Volt ending and nothing coming from the individual members ever being close.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyCBR View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Son Volt ending and nothing coming from the individual members ever being close.
    Son Volt "ended?" You may want to let Jay and the boys know - they keep cranking out albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Where are you? Patterson is doing a shitload of touring at the moment for his solo album, which btw kicks ass.
    CO. Nothing announced out here yet. I'll have to give his solo stuff a listen.

Son Volt "ended?" You may want to let Jay and the boys know - they keep cranking out albums.
    Considering every Sun Volt album post Wide Swing Tremolo sounds the same I'd say they pretty much ended.

You're high. "Okemah..." "The Search" and especially "American Central Dust" soundless like each other than the first three, but to each his own.

Oh, and whoever started this thread's a dumbass, it's 'The Fine Print'.

They broke up in '99, what you're hearing now is Jay Farrar with the name and part of the original band.

Son Volt is Jay Farrar and whomever he wants to play his music, it's his band...

...just like The DBTs are Patterson and Cooley's. As long as they're in the band it's the Truckers.