Home Sauna - Infrared Sauna?

I love a good hot sauna - very relaxing, good for muscle recovery, nice for detoxing and great for getting fully re-heated after a day out in the cold. I want one in my house because the one at the gym isn't warm enough and the russian guy in there keep babbling religious shit when I'm trying to relax.

Anybody have experience with infrared saunas? They seem to be lower cost to purchase and run on 110 electric so I don't need to mess with the fuse box or an electrician as long as I run it on it's own circuit. Do they get as hot as a regular sauna? Do they heat up fast? Expensive to operate? Maintenance?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I've used those in Europe a few times and they work very well.
    I am a sauna nut. They get you hot, but not the air temp. It focuses the infrared heat on your spine. The fluid gets hot and you sweat like it's 180F in there, but it might only be 90F. They are way less expensive to operate because you do not need to heat them up just turn it on and go. The heating unit looks like the coils in the old school floor heater units from the 50's-70's
    They have Ipod plug outlets with speakers inside and sliding colored light sceens to change the inside light red, yellow, blue or green
    I want one!!! people sell them on craigslist for about $750-$1000 way less than the new price of $2500 check them out for sure.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I sell them for a living. I should say, I don't sell them since they suck. Get a real sauna. 220v or you'll regret it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    I sell them for a living. I should say, I don't sell them since they suck. Get a real sauna. 220v or you'll regret it I think.
    seriously???? I think they work great .do they break down often? why do they suck?
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    Tell me more. I prefer the idea of walking into a room that's 190*F but if the infrared would make me feel that way for way less money I might compromise. What advice can you offer?

...It focuses the infrared heat on your spine. The fluid gets hot and you sweat like it's 180F in there, but it might only be 90F...
    Wait... they make you sweat by cooking your spinal fluid?

Wow, how do I get one?!

It's like a sauna in here.
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Wait... they make you sweat by cooking your spinal fluid?

Wow, how do I get one?!
    heh, sounds less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Wait...

Wow, how do I get one?!
    craigslist http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/hab/1462358985.html

why do you think there so many on Craigslist for cheap.
    They all say like new, used little.
    Watch for a heater and build your own or build a wood fired one.

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    At least around here... saunas are used a few times then almost never again. I'm talking about the built in ones though. Every time I sell a house that has one (usually in the basement, but had one listing with it off the master bath) I mention it but then spend more time talking about how it would also make a nice cedar closet. Heh, they should build them with the closet rod pockets already installed.
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

Quote Originally Posted by mock vomit View Post
    At least around here... saunas are used a few times then almost never again. I'm talking about the built in ones though. .
    Aeems like the further north you are the more saunas are used. I'm really finnish and my grandpa had one downstairs (even with a dirt floor). He used it all the time. Scandanavian people that I have met seerm to really dig them.
    At least that is what it seems like around here. The canadians that I worked with in Thunder Bay said the town was finnish and saunas were very common.

I'm mostly Finn and my mother's side of the family is 100% Finn. It took me until about the sixth grade to realize that not everybody had a sauna in their house. I just thought it was standard issue. Nothing better than a long day out in the cold to come home to a 200 degree sauna.

I like a sauna, but love steam. had one installed in one of my showers and it's so relaxing. The ex got the hot tub with the house, and i really miss that. nothing like a home spa setup. very therapeutic.

At least around here... saunas are used a few times then almost never again.
    You misspelled "whirlpool tub."

Casa Root has a sauna that gets a fair amount of use during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Infrared or traditional?
    The standalone, low cost infrared ones would be easy to set up in my basement and move to the next house when we go. If I build in the current house it adds little to no value and we'll probably move in the next few years.
    I'd love for the infrared to be the answer, but I'm getting the sense that it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    It focuses the infrared heat on your spine. The fluid gets hot and you sweat like it's 180F in there, but it might only be 90F.

I had some blotter that did that once.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Build a REAL sauna. Its funny to see people refer the 220v as a real sauna.

A real sauna means you build shed, with an inside room that's insulated, and put a wood stove in there. Thats a real sauna. Probably cheaper overall than your $2500 electric thing too, and no fusebox, no electrician either.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnPinhead View Post
    ...The ex got the hot tub with the house, and i really miss that...
    Miss the ex, the hot tub or the house?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You misspelled "whirlpool tub."

Almost made a comment on those too... But I think the whirlpool tubs get a bit of use for sloshing sex on dudes birthdays and anniversaries... in some households anyways? I have to admit I still drop into mine a few times each winter after getting a ski mag in the mail and don't come out until half the contents of the tub have condensed on the bath walls and are running down in rivulets to the floor.

On the Finn/Scandi thing... yeah, I'd expect especially anyone from "the old country" to use them more regularly. I had a German physician who I sold a lot to and he built a house, he added the big sauna AND a dunking tub in an unfinished part of basement. The tub must have been 8' x 4' and 2+ feet deep of poured concrete covered with tile. When I resold it for him 15 years later the buyers were like "what the heck is that?"
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

If you want an infrared sauna, see if you can get one from Costco. They'll return anything if/when you don't like it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...&cat=4639&Mo=4

Hot tub, that's the way to go.

Miss the ex, the hot tub or the house?
    No/Yes/not as much since I bought a new place and stopped renting.

I actually negotiated getting the tub in the divorce but she drained it 2 years ago and I'm not sure if there are problems with seals drying etc. any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnPinhead View Post
    No/Yes/not as much since I bought a new place and stopped renting.

I actually negotiated getting the tub in the divorce but she drained it 2 years ago and I'm not sure if there are problems with seals drying etc. any idea?
    If you live in a freezing climate, the hot tub is probably shot. The freeze thaw cycle with the residual water in the plumbing trashes components and plumbing. Unless it was blown out and winterized with RV antifreeze...

Just finished wiring one up yesterday. 4'x5' kit that came with pre built walls and roof.Heater was 4.5 kw 240 volt.$5000 for the kit.The owner did alot of research and came to the conclusion that the infrared model was directional heat.Must be in front of the light for heat.Make sure to figure in wiring costs if you go this way.She did not,heh.

Smile Home sauna is the best

The best DIY saunas are from scandiamfg, they have a lot of different options and I'm sure you will love it! I have one since 5 years and I can tell you that it is the best investment.