Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I want to watch a supervolcano blow.

What about future events?

I'd really like tosee the last human die.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    What about future events?

How about Super Bowl XLIV?

I'd bet all those wacky props and make millions.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I'd like to see the biggest wave ever - 1,720 ft. in Lityua Bay Alaska in 1958. An earthquake caused a massive rock (40MM cubic yards) to fall 3,000 ft. into the bay, causing a 1,720 ft. splash...and then proceeded to be a ~100ft local tsunami sweeping across the bay and stripping all vegetation up to 3,500ft inland from the bay.

I'd follow my gramps around WW2

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Gettysburg COULD have gone hugely differently in a decisive manner for the war, but primarily if:

1. General Ewell and General Hill was not such a fucking moron on so many counts (failure to take Cemetery Ridge... or engaging Beuford at all forcing the battle location). A decisive victory would have pushed Federals back to DC.

2. General Meade was not such a fucking pussy and had pressed a counterattack or hotly pursued and crushed Lee while he was trapped on the N side of the flooded Potomac. Mead had the opportunity to destroy the Army of Northern Virginia in detail on Northern soil with short supply trains. This would have opened the road to Richmond and sped the war in the West.

3. The Union Left Flank had folded on the second day. Depending on Meade's reaction, this would have been a major defeat, possibly resulting in a detailed destruction of III and V Corps leaving the entire Union body in a very compromised position that would force a disorganized retreat during the night of the 3rd.

I just view the battle as the turning point, just like Midway. In both cases, the war went on and on, but the true initiative shifted.

I think the amazing feats on the field at Gettysburg were the most impressive of the Civil War, at least in the first half and the NE theater. But really, I don't want to watch it live. Americans slaughtering Americans... ugh.

The guy who said WWII start to finish... so impressive to see... but I wouldn't want to see all of it live. I love military history, WWII in particular, but WWII would be the most ghastly events in human history to watch (although it is accompanied by the most amazing acts in human history).
    hehe. you took us history your freshman year, neato!

edit: or maybe you just read Killer Angel's.

you do realize that any event would have turned out differently if people made completely different decisions, right?
    Last edited by AKA; 11-18-2009 at 08:42 AM.

gettysburg address or dealey plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    I want to see the birth of the first lawyer, so I can shove that sonofabitch back in and slap his mother.
    okay, I agree this idea

I'd go back in time to see the day Summit lost his virginity...

wait, that hasn't happened
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    hehe. you took us history your freshman year, neato!

edit: or maybe you just read Killer Angel's.

you do realize that any event would have turned out differently if people made completely different decisions, right?
    I've read several books... I really like studying military history, particularly WWII and the Civil War. I'm not a history major or anything, just a history buff.

Dunno what your attitude problem is. The guy say the battle wasn't "interesting AND important" enough to be "the choice" and I wanted to point out that I thought it was important as a turning point and that it was important and interesting as it was and still would have been if it had gone differently, perhaps more so.

Maybe you are a historian and have some factual point to make?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I've read several books... I really like studying military history, particularly WWII and the Civil War. I'm not a history major or anything, just a history buff.

Dunno what your attitude problem is. The guy say the battle wasn't "interesting AND important" enough to be "the choice" and I wanted to point out that I thought it was important as a turning point and that it was important and interesting as it was and still would have been if it had gone differently, perhaps more so.

Maybe you are a historian and have some factual point to make?
    I could make a number of factual points but I dont really care to. My problem is that you and a few other blowhards on this board constantly attempt to pass yourselves off as experts no matter what the subject, five minutes on wikipedia does not mean you know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    I could make a number of factual points but I dont really care to. My problem is that you and a few other blowhards on this board constantly attempt to pass yourselves off as experts no matter what the subject, five minutes on wikipedia does not mean you know what you're talking about.
    I'm having fun discussing history. I'm no history expert, but I've done more than read wikipedia. I enjoy history. This isn't a PhD history forum. Everyone is welcome to participate. If you'd like to bring the discussion up a level, feel free to JOIN the discussion.

Or you can be butthurt, sit in your corner and whine about how you know so much more than everyone else and how you are too good for them so you won't even contribute. But I guess that makes you a stuck up douchebag, now, doesn't it?

I'm having fun discussing history. I'm no history expert, but I've done more than read wikipedia. I enjoy history. This isn't a PhD history forum. Everyone is welcome to participate. If you'd like to bring the discussion up a level, feel free to JOIN the discussion.

Or you can be butthurt, sit in your corner and whine about how you know so much more than everyone else and how you are too good for them so you won't even contribute. But I guess that makes you a stuck up douchebag, now, doesn't it?
    You clearly are missing my point, that's to be expected I guess.

I wanna go back and videotape Kush first "Kushing it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I wanna go back and videotape Kush first "Kushing it."
    I was there, truly a momentus day in history.

Maybe the Last Supper. I'd like the see the look on the Apostles' faces when Jesus tells them they are eating his body and drinking his blood. Considering the guy could walk on water and raise the dead they probably believe they were cannibals that night.

First season of the JH tram - no lines, plenty of snow.

Roswell.
    Maybe go for a crusie on the HMS Bounty. I'd bring a few cans of Tang for the voyage.
    Wouldn't mind hanging with Cheney during 9/11 to get the real low down on WTF was really going on.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

the building of the pyramids would be cool

crossing the bearing land bridge

vikings in north america

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I would like to see a Tyrannosaurus Rex step on a piece of wood shaped like a rake. The rake clouts the T-Rex in the face, he stumbles backwards, treads in some Styracosaurus shit and slips on his back. While he's laying there a tree falls on his head, killing him instantly.

I'm certain that has to have happened at least once during the whole Cretacious period. I could swap out the Styracosaurus for a less specific dinosaur model.
    I miss Roo posts

The formation of Universe
    Or
    That day in Quebec City when I had this micro beer because I can't remember the name of it....damn it was good

Maybe the first Dead show (which I guess was an acid test house party)- it would be a good bookend to having been at the first Phish show (which was a house party too).

Or birth of the Universe- hard to decide.

Russia vs USA at The Cecil in Vancouver.

without hurting my head thinking about it.

Woodstock
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Adam eating the apple in the Garden of Eden or aliens building Machu Pechu whilst sucking on cocoa leaves
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix