Thread: Books

Books

With fall coming, I have started re-reading my skiing (hell, anything having to do with snow) books again. I am wondering what books the rest of you enjoy about skiing or mountaineering. Here are the ones I already have

Nothing To Hide - Picabo Street
    No Hill To Fast - Phil and Steve Mahre
    High Exposure - David Breashears
    Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
    Touching the Void - Joe Simpson
    Antarctica - Kim Stanley Robinson (fiction)

Two titles I will read from Random' thread below.
    This Game of Ghosts - Joe Simpson
    Bone Games - ???

Any thoughts on other books to keep my mind of being in the midwest and the fact that I won't see snow for probably 2 or three months?
    Gravity

if you're going to read "In to Thin Air", read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev.. diffrent perspective on the same event

I don't read books that often, given that i'm always on the damn internet.

A few of my current/recent favs though:

Finally finished the fictional novel about snowmaking/corrupt ski resorts & owners: Snow Waste

pretty cool if you are from the New England area - the fictional ski area is called "cannon" it's set in western maine - take 2 guesses who it's supposed to be modeled after - classic NE type characters.

Want to read Aron Ralston's new book.

and LADIES, here' one that I found may just come in handy living in a ski town, albeit not specifically about skiing
    He's Just Not That Into You (as seen recently on Oprah, written by 'Sex in the City' writers, one's a guy) - it's facking funny (and true as hell)

Alpine Circus - Michael Finkel

All about his skiing adventures: Skiing Kilimanjaro, snowboarding 60+ degree lines in AK, first descents in Iceland, teaching rural Chinese mountain communitites how to ski,what its like to ski jump.....some really good stuff in there. It definitely gets at the soul of skiing and the culture that surrounds it. I highly reccomend it.

As far as narratives go, "Touching the void" - Joe Simpson is a must read. It has a special place in my library.

I am currently reading "Challenge of the North Cascades" - Fred Beckey. And I regularly browse his 3 volumes of "Cascade Alpine Guide" for climb ideas. I have his book on Mt McKinley ready to be read next too.

I have a copy of Andrew McLean's "The chuting gallery" that I sure hope to put to good use on a trip to Utah and one of "Backvountry skiing Snoqualmie Pass" by Martin Volken which is very useful too...

drC

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...34.02.LZZZZZZZ

The Man who Skied down Everest - Yuichiro Miuro / Eric Perlman

Quote Originally Posted by Punani
    The Man who Skied down Everest - Yuichiro Miuro / Eric Perlman
    I believe the correct title is "The Man who Fell Down Everest"

Anderl Heckmair - My Life , led all of the pitches on the first ascent of the Eiger, ski toured for months at a time when he couldn't find a job, damn nice life.

High Odyssey - Gene Rose, story of Orland Bartholomew's winter traverse of the High Sierra in the 1920's. Damn cool.

Not about skiing, but the spirit is quite similar for a snowboarder : the quest of the Element, the longing for good weather, the addiction...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'd add "The Dogs of Winter", by Kem Nunn, but it's getting quite far from the snow...

Plus "The Ski bum", by Romain Gary, definitively one of my favourite books...

Just bought "Killing Dragons"

Deep Powder Snow: Forty-Years of Ecstatic Skiing, Avalanches, and Earth Wisdom - Dolores Lachapelle
    This book rules.....Dolores does a masterful job of articulating every aspect of the skiing experience.

Body Mind Mastery - Dan Millman
    This book is not about skiing but I think any open minded athelete could benefit from reading it.

I finished reading "Deep Powder Snow" a few weeks ago, didn't remembered who to thanks untill I made a search here.

Thus : thank you very much, M. Flex, really

I add a "climbing" book to the list (much more than that, but well) :

James Salter, "Solo faces". About life in Chamonix in the early seventies for a man who climbs as one may trust in god (awesome cover pic by Gallen Rowell)