Looking for St. Anton advice..........

I've searched through all the threads I could find here and I'm still looking for some advice on a trip I'm taking to St. Anton at the end of February/beginning of March.

-There will be four of us (my two brothers and another friend) and we're spending 4-5 days there, travelling in from Vienna by train.
    -Where to stay that won't break the bank? I did find that there is a Hostel near Stanton, but open to other suggestions.
    -Good/cheapish eats/bars?
    -Parts of the Arlberg ski region that we should definitely check out? We'll all have AT rigs.
    -Anybody going to be over there and want to meet up for some turns/drinks? H-man?

Thanks
    Chad
    Old's Cool.

I won't be there then I don't think. There is a very slim chance that I might be but doubt it. If I am I will let you know....

Lodging in St. Anton is difficult if you are not going to be there Saturday to Saturday. Most people are so the hoteliers don't really want to offer anything different because it is more work for them and lost revenue to not have it full for the whole week. Last minute is the best bet for less than a full week but then it is tough as availablity is certainly much less.

That being said, check out my friend Barbara's place:

www.hotel-moessmer.com

Comish stayed there once on short notice by dropping my name. Feel free to do the same. Tell them you are friends and ski buddies with the grandson Hannes Schneider.

Skiing and touring options are simply just too much to list here and it really (obviously) depends on snow fall and snow pack. That being said, here are two great books by a friend of mine Andy Thurner that can give you lots of options. This is just the first location on a Google search so you may find them another way:

http://www.freeride.co.uk/shop/?brand=Andy%20Thurner

Bars are as numerous as the skiing options, but check out Mooserwirt and Crazy Kangaru for Apres, then Funky Chicken and Piccadilly for evening entertainment. There are countless more options, as well as restaurants all over the place.

PM with more specific questions if you would like. You're gonna have a blast...

EDIT: The books come in both English and German so make sure you buy the right one.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

get the book. and when you are there a topo card. thats the cheapest way to finde the goods. and get a card with the busstops, because many runs need one to com back/to the next one.

cheap acc you won't find directly in st.anton. try to search in the towns before st.anton like pettneu. ~25eur/night incl. breakfast are possible, maybe a bit less. maybe call/email directly the hotel/private acc

have fun and be fast

Thanks guys, this is exactly the stuff I was looking for.
    Old's Cool.

If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?

I'll be in the Arlberg all winter and should have a good handle on the terrain after a few months. Let me know when you cruise through.
    Pro skiers look like a bag of skittles.

http://themando.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MassAttack View Post
    I'll be in the Arlberg all winter and should have a good handle on the terrain after a few months.
    Great attitude, but take it from me...

I have been sking in the Arlberg on and off for well over 20 years, and every time I go I always ski something that I have never skied before. After a few months, you will have had the time of your life and be hooked on the place. Leave it at that.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Quote Originally Posted by H-man View Post
    Great attitude, but take it from me...

I have been sking in the Arlberg on and off for well over 20 years, and every time I go I always ski something that I have never skied before. After a few months, you will have had the time of your life and be hooked on the place. Leave it at that.
    Well, maybe after a few months Ill have a few favorites and know a stash or two.

Cant wait to get over there.
    Pro skiers look like a bag of skittles.

http://themando.wordpress.com/

We have been a fair few times now. You can search for our trip reports. Suffice it to say that it rocks and we have had waist deep on more than a couple occasions

H-man has definitely hooked us up in the past, he is the mang if didn't already know that.

For cheap lodging look for the B&B's, gastehaus, or pensions. They are gonna be cheaper than any hotels. They are all totally decent and the cheapest lodging I have found. We have typically stayed down in Nasserein which works fine. Its not the central lift station, but totally doable and there are a bunch of gastehauses or Pensions down there or in neighboring St. Jacob that work out pretty cheap for bed and breakfast.

You will be challenged to find someplace to rent to you outside the normal Saturday - Saturday routine. I typically end up sending probably 50 or so emails to tons of places and you will get mostly no's. Hopefully one or two will go for it, otherwise you will have to book last minute. You can also send an email to the tourist office and they will respond with a list of places that you then contact directly. This method has never worked out for me in the past as the database that the tourist office has is hopelessly out of date. They are very friendly there, but ultimately you have to book directly with the place, its not like a central reservations in a US resort. Go to the tourist office for awesome old school posters and stickers that are very cheap.

For Apres-ski I have always been a Mooserwirt fan, but I have grown to appreciate the German-disco-oompah beat music and the more germanic crowd than the Kanagroo. Funky Chicken rocks for cheap eats and toxic Marg's. I thought Bar Cuba was a good time on certain nights.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Last April this place was cheap (50ppn b&b 3 single rooms x 4 nights), clean & friendly.
    A few minutes walk from the centre - so its quiet.
    http://www.pension-elisabeth-arlberg.at/19.0.html

These guys are cheap, shared shower, have an excellent breakfast, 20 feet from the bus stop or a 12 minute walk to Nasserein gondy. They are friendly, have an honor bar, and store my stuff when I am touring. Mathias is the owner. It's quiet but then 99% of Nasserein and St Jacob are quiet. And I have walked home drunk from St Anton many times so its not THAT far.

http://www.dersteinbock.at/german/willkommen.html

As for tours - so many options. An easy one would be the first couple days of the Silvretta tour. You could ski Ischgl, then skin for the Heidelberger Hutte (easy if you are good with a map and compass or GPS, retarded easy if you just skin the road.) There are at least 2 days of good turns there and no glaciers to worry about. Then continue on to Jamtal, my favorite hut. Ski out to Galtur, postbus home.

Lots of other ideas, depending on your fitness. I won't be back there until late March or I would be happy to show you some stashes.

No food recommendations except for fajitas at Bobo's, more for the comedy effect of eating Mexcan in Austria, although the food is decent.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Some solid suggestions here from people IN THE KNOW.

Thanks.
    Old's Cool.

Hey, I just got there and getting ready for my first season in Zurs. I'll be working night shift so there's gonna be plenty of skiing time. Any mags here who would care to show me around in exchange for a few beers?

ill be in st anton feb6th-13th... is there a "reasonable" way to find a bit of smoke somewheres? or am I going to have to stick to beer and wine for afterski?

Hey, the title pretty much explains what the question is about.

I'm gonna learn to skate in the summer to do something useful as i got 4 months off. I'm not interested in a tonne of tricks, besides the ollie and kickflip and some others, but i'm not gonna go down the skate park etc. I just wanna ride in the streets etc. Like a new way of transport. Walking is getting boring.

Soooo, i need help deciding on trucks. I have a large budget as i dont wanna buy rubbish trucks to begin, then buy better ones, i just wanna do it in one go and learn with a good board.

I was thinking a cheap board and then great trucks and bearings and wheels. Is that a good idea?

Basically, i just want a board that rides smoothly, you can gain some pace and would steady Eddy. What trucks would you recommend. I know i'm starting with 3 or 5 abec but the trucks are the hardest part to decide on. Some say Thunders are rubbish, some say Indy are rubbish but i'm new as i said and just need a bit of advice.

Thanks.

King Smith

^^???^^^me thinks you posted in the wrong thread dude

Helldawg Guest
    King Smith= King of Fail

Just for fun, make sure to play some Strohlet with your bros at the Funky Chicken.