Thread: uhhhh ...wow

uhhhh ...wow

Sure, I know some of his music, but his day and age were before my time. In a word ... wow. Specifically 1:30 to 1:50 and 3:05 to 3:25

Somehow seeing it on video makes it stand out so much more.

[/QUOTE]

my buddy recently engaged a bunch of his music critic friends in a discussion about guitarists.

he went so far as to state that Prince may be the greatest guitarist since Hendrix, based on this solo (and the fact that Prince is a pretty sick guitarist but most folks forget that since he rarely lets go on his recordings, but if you've ever seen him live...WOW!)

Prince's solo kicks in around 3:30

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

wow is right. Was all ready to toss some Roy Buchanon up, but that clip sorta blew away that idea...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Prince is def. an under-appreciated guitarist, but so is Mato Nanji and his shit speaks to me much more than Prince.

That "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" solo sounds like Purple Rain.

As has been discussed before - the greatest guitar player you've possibly never heard of was Danny Gatton. This guy was retarded.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_atAgWH2s"]YouTube- Sleepwalk by the Master of the Telecaster[/ame]

^^ nice. DG played with a lot of soul. tons of emotion in his playing.

Prince

Jimmy Hendrix truly has changed the landscape for guitarists of his day, and for many others long after he died. After Eric Clapton saw him for the first time in a New York Club, he didn't want to even pick up his guitar.

Without trying to highjack this thread and take away some reverence from "uhhh.......wow", and his props to Jim, prince definitely brings some serious skills to the table.

For any of you doubters out there, go rent "Purple Rain", watch it, try not to get too excited about the lake scene, and take in some of the best licks the 80's have ever produced. The guys a genius.

Prince is actually very secretive about his guitar effects and modulations. Apparently he does not let anyone know what his effects set up actually is.

Props to Dookey for bringing out Prince for the second time in a week on TGR. See "THIS IS IT !" 11-01-09. Thought I was on this one.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    wow is right. Was all ready to toss some Roy Buchanon up, but that clip sorta blew away that idea...
    Actually Buchanon's version of hey joe was always a fave. If you have that go ahead and toss it up. I for one would appreciate it.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Sheesh - lazy fucker!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z55XF9HlVrk"]YouTube- Roy Buchanan-Hey Joe[/ame]

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    Last edited by LittleYellowFriend; 11-29-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    In a word ... wow. Specifically 1:30 to 1:50 and 3:05 to 3:25
    Come on now, that's just showing off. Jimi was definitely the man. Never has someone made that instrument as much as part of themselves as he could.

That prince solo was sick!! Never heard that before. Who else was playing on stage? I think I recognized tom petty, but that's it.

My favorite modern guitar player has gotta be John Mayer. Despite the pop star status, the guy can fucking play, doing sit-ins with the likes of BB King and Clapton. He's just so damn smooth!! And the two guys that back him up to make the Trio are fucking solid.

Hendrix cover, complete with hippie love ramblings...
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

watch the left hand about 2:30

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sheesh - lazy fucker!
    I suppose I am..... or it just always amazes me the vast amount of stuff can be found on youtube. Thanks, it's been years since I heard that. Hey Joe (hendrix) has been my ringtone for a couple of years. It was Roy's version I first heard in my misspent youth I think.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    watch the left hand about 2:30

That was badass.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Speaking of youtube and guitars, I saw Richard last week, amazing show, dazzled by his guitar. Here he is warming up with a favorite

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxKTzwaEa2o"]YouTube- Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning[/ame]

If he plays your area, get a good seat and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Sure, I know some of his music, but his day and age were before my time. In a word ... wow. Specifically 1:30 to 1:50 and 3:05 to 3:25

Somehow seeing it on video makes it stand out so much more.

another great performance from the '67 Monterey Pop Festival

here's a torrent of the whole show inc Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, etc (video, 2.5 gigs)

the page: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...al?tab=summary

the torrent file: http://isohunt.com/download/12371085...stival.torrent

this is a good thread.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

I've always been amazed by Don Ross and how he gets so much more out of a guitar than many artists.

I also like Tommy Emmanuel for his tone and precision. There's a ton of him on youtube
    Last edited by wicked_sick; 12-01-2009 at 05:58 AM.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

uhhhh wow

through my eternal search for musical satisfaction, id like to know what songs made u go WOW when u heard it the 1st time
    maybe it WOWed u by the lyrics, music, remix, solos, .....
    so what songs?