Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spam problem

Spam problem

This is a plea to the owners of the TGR forum. Please empower your administrators to fix this problems. Admin(s), there has to be a solution for this problem please find one and enact it. I surf 4 different audio/turntable forums and I've never ever seen a problem with Spam. I don't believe this occurs over on that lame forum TTips.

I don't mean to give dire statements, this is a plea "to make things better". I appreciate your time and expense to allow a community to exist here, Thanks for your efforts! I can and will weed through the Spam for good TR's and info, but it is annoying enough for me to plead for a resolution. It seems like there must be a solution since any one of the other 5 or more forums I lurk, I've never seen such a bad Spam problem or actually any Spam of the kind we get here...

advres Guest
    LOL....

Well Said pow!

ROFL!

Believe me I know how it feels, there's plenty of people who would be ringing my phone off the hook if their email inbox looked like that...

advres Guest

you're welcome...

C'mon TGR - put in some sort of account verification for new registrants. Based on the last big thread on this, you don't want any sort of delay in posting for JONGs. OK. But at least do SOMETHING.

How about:
    - word recognition with the blurry text thingamajig
    - simple Q&A that anyone could figure out, but a spambot won't be able to (e.g., "type in the last name of the pro skier who films with TGR, who has the first name "Sage")

Can it be set up so the report post button moves a post/thread to a temporary (only viewable to mods) holding area? Then a mod checks it, deletes spam or moves it back?

It would be a little more self-policing this way. The mod would be there to prevent abuse.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    (e.g., "type in the last name of the pro skier who films with TGR, who has the first name "Sage")
    You think half the people here know how to spell Cattabriga-Alosa?

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Can it be set up so the report post button moves a post/thread to a temporary (only viewable to mods) holding area? Then a mod checks it, deletes spam or moves it back?

It would be a little more self-policing this way. The mod would be there to prevent abuse.
    #1 - people would abuse that.
    #2 - "mods" aren't on here frequently enough

I don't get it then. The board has little to no moderation, can't handle self moderation (I agree on that point, my system would get abused) but the owners don't want more restrictive posting controls?

And I know that your phone goes off everytime someone here reports a post, yeah, that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    You think half the people here know how to spell Cattabriga-Alosa?
    I think that if they can't figure out how to google it, they're bots.

advres Guest
    I think that if they can't figure out how to google it, they're bots.
    It was supposed to be a joke, making fun of the retards here... but I guess you are too retarded to get it.

It was supposed to be a joke, making fun of the retards here
    We have feelings you know.

It was supposed to be a joke, making fun of the retards here... but I guess you are too retarded to get it.
    So can you implement this change?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    code it up Chupie, then post the scripts and XMLs that make it all happen

seems more positive than merely stating your wishes and moving to close the deal

Cyb - Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count - vBulletin.org Forum

I don't have the faintest idea how to do it. But from other forums (fora?) it's readily apparent it can be done.

Example: Lou Dawson's site has a simple Q&A box for screening spam posts, which is something like "type in the word for the sum of 3 + 5." You type in "eight" and it passes the filter. Why not adapt this to the Sage question and cut out all the spambots?

Is there an Akismet plugin for Vbulletin? Seems to work well for Wordpress.

I don't have the faintest idea how to do it. But from other forums (fora?) it's readily apparent it can be done.

Example: Lou Dawson's site has a simple Q&A box for screening spam posts, which is something like "type in the word for the sum of 3 + 5." You type in "eight" and it passes the filter. Why not adapt this to the Sage question and cut out all the spambots?
    1. it won't cut out all the spambots any more than the CAPTCHA TGR already employs
    in fact, Q&As are about 10% as effective as CAPTCHAS, and are more easily broken by automated means
    their value is in providing another layer of authentication that might get an extra 2% of kiddiebots

2. the powers that be here have specifically turned off Q&A, as it is a default in vBulletin
    they have reasons for this

3. ppl who don't understand the hudge amount of work and time and $$ that goes into a site that runs as well as TGR are unlikely to offer any really good technical support to the staff here, and their suggestions are likely to be specious or previously considered by the ppl that pay the cost to be the boss
    so to propose a weak ineffective solution that has been considered and rejected many many times before, and then to demand an implementation of your idea on someone else's computers strikes me as a bunch of fkn noise from the peanut gallery

i would think that a person with as little real knowledge as yourself might want to take the humble route, and offer a suggestion with a few grains of salt
    but i see that you have decided on another tack, one of demanding that others do as you say, based on what you would like

while i'm sure that works real well for you IRL, you may have better luck here by offering something that might actually work

having to know Sage's last name to join is bullshit

you may have better luck here by offering something that might actually work
    I'm waiting to hear your proposed solution.

1. it won't cut out all the spambots any more than the CAPTCHA TGR already employs
    in fact, Q&As are about 10% as effective as CAPTCHAS, and are more easily broken by automated means
    their value is in providing another layer of authentication that might get an extra 2% of kiddiebots

2. the powers that be here have specifically turned off Q&A, as it is a default in vBulletin
    they have reasons for this

3. ppl who don't understand the hudge amount of work and time and $$ that goes into a site that runs as well as TGR are unlikely to offer any really good technical support to the staff here, and their suggestions are likely to be specious or previously considered by the ppl that pay the cost to be the boss
    so to propose a weak ineffective solution that has been considered and rejected many many times before, and then to demand an implementation of your idea on someone else's computers strikes me as a bunch of fkn noise from the peanut gallery

i would think that a person with as little real knowledge as yourself might want to take the humble route, and offer a suggestion with a few grains of salt
    but i see that you have decided on another tack, one of demanding that others do as you say, based on what you would like

while i'm sure that works real well for you IRL, you may have better luck here by offering something that might actually work
    having to know Sage's last name to join is bullshit
    1.& 2. We had Q and A all of last week versus capatcha. Q and A was far worse. We could attempt to make it more difficult of a question, but there has got to be a better way.

3. We have 5 forum mods. Summit had offered to be a 6th, but I have not heard back from him. We delete anywhere between 20-80 posts a day between us. We are exploring and testing other options to do this. The ones that seem to have the most merit are:
    1. Waiting period
    2. Need for a certain post count before you can create threads.
    3. A few other suggestions I can't remember right now.
    4. Advres has not been here for years and really has no current relavent insight as to our current philosophy. He does do a ton of spam deleting and is a huge asset in moderating. For that everyone owes him tons of beers and things he likes. We are way more concerned with loosing spammers now than making it easy for someone to post. A large amount of our spam is not from bots, but from people who manually enter. This is a huge wad as these people are hard to keep out. Keep the ideas flowing and if someone has serious experience in this please PM me so we can have a call and discuss option.
    Thanks,
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

thanks for being open to new ideas on this TJ-
    I still wonder about the 'must have ten posts to start a thread' idea, but i don't know shit about 'coding' and 'vbulletin' and big words like that...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Doesn't Summit live in Blurred's basement?

may I suggest someone less flammable should be invited rather than just volunteer themselves?

Don't forget one moron admin at powder sent everyone here in the first place.

i offered my suggestions [ame=http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173362]HERE[/ame]

but since it's been formally requested -

a 10-15 post minimum before a new member can post links or images will hang a LOT of bots

if it's not built in to vBulletin already, you can implement this by using [ame=http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123002]CYB[/ame]

but it's pretty simple to create a user level of JONG with limited privs based on post count

note that this will NOT prevent a legit new member from participating in any real way
    it will just hang the vast majority of spambots before they can make their first post

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Doesn't Summit live in Blurred's basement?

may I suggest someone less flammable should be invited rather than just volunteer themselves?

Don't forget one moron admin at powder sent everyone here in the first place.
    3rd this.

Follow up on highangle's suggestions before giving any power to Summit.

i frequently report posts as spam. I assume if there are 5 reads of a thread and no replies that the other viewers have reported the post already. Is this correct? Shoudl I continue to report them if they have been viewed multiple times? I don't wan you inundated withr eports of spam that have already been reported. is there a way to flag a post as having been previously reported?

thanks mods, as always for volunteering to clean this place up.

this thread should be titled "no good deed goes unpunished"

OK guys.

You asked for ideas.

We gave you several, particularly a minimum [10-15] number of posts before one could start a thread.

Sooooooooo???????????????
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's