Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    kidwoo wrote this insightful article on the 2951 for vitalmtb:

Reaction from those who have ridden the bike is surprisingly positive. Andrew VanZuyen (featured in the video above) thinks the 29-inch wheel design will catch on. "It rolls over everything. Now, I actually find myself looking for bigger things to run over. There's still a lot to figure out, the bike requires a different riding style, but I'm pretty surprised by the possibilities."
    My initial response to riding the bike was also surprise. Having hopped on the bike briefly, I was quite surprised by how responsive it felt. It felt a lot more nimble and maneuverable than I figured it would. The talk of having the bottom bracket lower than the axle height seems to hold something. There is a feeling of being "in" the bike and though it takes a bit more thought to lean the bike over, it seems manageable. Standover was no different than a regular DH bike and since I have stubs for legs, this was a concern. Will "ass buzzing" be a factor in technical terrain or big jump bottom-outs? Time will tell, I suppose.

Buy me one for christmas sweetie!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Buy me one for christmas sweetie!

apparently you want "48 inches" of "ass-buzzing" fun for xmas.

PM Rontele and his 12 friends.

I'm going to start calling that bike "The prostate"

That does bring up an interesting point. I doubt I could even bunny hop that thing without getting that goofy timberwolf tread on my ass.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So I haven't ridden a 29er (other than rolling around a parking lot on a rigid one a couple years ago), but I've read that 29ers are very difficult to pop the front end up on due to the geometry. True?

If so - why would I want that for my DH bike? (even if one fit me and wasn't flexy and had tires that didn't suck, etc.) Call me crazy, but I like being able to maneuver my bike around easily and that seems more important on DH/FR bikes than on XC bikes.

I guess unless it is totally a quiver DH bike and there is a straight, super fast, moderately rocky course... actually, that sounds lame as hell and I can't imagine buying a bike just for that, but maybe that's just me.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

altagirl, my experience is that the problem with trying to manual a 29er relates to early designs with very long chainstays. it's just like a 26" wheeled bike, the longer the chainstay, the more difficult the manual. I've owned 3 different 29er bikes -- an On-One Inbred, a Turner Sultan, and a Vassago Jabberwocky. The Inbred's CS length is 17.25" and I find it very easy to manual. The Jabberwocky I sold after 3 rides because its CS length is closer to 18" and the bike was much harder to manual and it had other long-CS flaws (big barge behavior at the rear wheel, harder to weight the rear wheel when climbing while standing).

mfrs are starting to notice this. Banshee and Canfield Bros have both designed 29er frames with sub-17" CS lengths. Lynskey just dropped its CS length to 17.1" for 2010. custom builders like Rick Hunter (Hunter) and Todd Ingermanson (Black Cat) have built quite a few 29er frames with short CS lengths.

I would add that after riding the Sultan I decided I don't want another FS 29er as I found it less playful than a 26" FS bike. in some ways it reminded me of using a ski with a turning radius of 35m or more, in tight trees.

I, for one, welcome our new 29er overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

^^^way to bump a 5 month old friend with an obscure Simpson's reference...

Heh. It's April, I started paying attention to bikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    ^^^way to bump a 5 month old friend with an obscure Simpson's reference...
    Its not that obscure. Or maybe I spend time with the wrong people...