Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kidwoo is gonna love this . . .

Intense 29er DH bike

I bet my snot is stiffer than that bike.

And I'd need a stepstool to get on it.

I'm sure it would be really fun riding in a straight line though. Over berms, over the top of doubles......that kind of thing.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Only thing missing is a little 250cc thumper in there.

that seems a little overkill. i could see it being really fast in the straights, but ithink it would be crazy slow once you have to do this thing called turning.

Quote Originally Posted by werts View Post
    that seems a little overkill. i could see it being really fast in the straights, but ithink it would be crazy slow once you have to do this thing called turning.
    48" wheelbase
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

think i read that it has a 64.5 HA. BB and standover are reasonably low.

from what i've read, those 2ply dissent 2.5 tires don't have a very large casing but the tread footprint is decent.

the e-hating is amusing to observe, however. it's just another DH bike design trend...that may pan out or die out, who knows. some people seem to take it so personally. like they've been gang-raped by 29ers or something.
    194 Praxis Carbon Ullrs for sale, $290: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...54#post5606654

I'm calling shenanigans on that picture. for the record that is.

edit: foot inserted in mouth maybe? saw other pics of it online... craziness.
    Last edited by brettf; 11-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

the e-hating is amusing to observe, however. it's just another DH bike design trend...that may pan out or die out, who knows. some people seem to take it so personally. like they've been gang-raped by 29ers or something.
    Or we've gotten on sasquatch bikes and realized that a 48" wheelbase, shitty wheels and shitty tires on a bike that's already flexy as hell in it's 26 configuration ride.......you know.......shittily.

You do know the difference between that and getting personally insulted by a project right?

And if you can't look at that dissent tread and tell me why it's a stupid design that works against itself, your bike geek card is officially revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Or we've gotten on sasquatch bikes and realized that a 48" wheelbase, shitty wheels and shitty tires on a bike that's already flexy as hell in it's 26 configuration ride.......you know.......shittily.
    You forgot to mention the fork.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbb View Post
    You forgot to mention the fork.
    Actually the fork might be the best thing on that bike. I KNOW the rest of it sucks. I have no idea about those new dorados

Look people. This bike is all about discrimination. They're trying to shut out us short people. You know who else shut out short people? NAZIS!

Well I'm extremely biased as the only review I've read on the fork was this one
    -->http://www.nsmb.com/3326-dorado-tested/

Which trashes the new Dorado. One of the closing statements in the article reads "Does the Dorado perform a $1000 better than its closest competitor price wise, the Fox 40 RC2? The answer is no"

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbb View Post
    Well I'm extremely biased as the only review I've read on the fork was this one
    -->http://www.nsmb.com/3326-dorado-tested/

Which trashes the new Dorado. One of the closing statements in the article reads "Does the Dorado perform a $1000 better than its closest competitor price wise, the Fox 40 RC2? The answer is no"
    thats not exactly trashing it... just saying it isnt worth the extra $1000 but he still says its a perfectly capable fork... just not a worth its weight in gold(carbon) fork

I KNOW the rest of it sucks.
    the 951 sucks?
    wondering if you've ridden the regular 26" version

looked good based of teh numbaz

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    the 951 sucks?
    wondering if you've ridden the regular 26" version

looked good based of teh numbaz
    Noodle compared to even the m6.

But if you read between the lines, weight was their priority with that frame. I suppose it hits the target they were after. But with a 29er version, presumably for larger folks just based off the wheelbase alone, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to do it with the 951 platform. But that's their new high profile toy......

I'd hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I'd hit it.
    Yeah I'd definitely like to ride one. But in a 'hey let's ride that penny farthing around the neighborhood' kind of way.

a freerideable 29er is natural evolution to the 29er movement. since most of the myths/problems have been worked out, why not.

i can now trade in my 8" dh 26" bike and get this.

Read my blog at oilcanracer.blogspot.com

Look people. This bike is all about discrimination. They're trying to shut out us short people. You know who else shut out short people? NAZIS!
    quoted for truth.

i see this 29er DH minitrend (micro mini trend?) as harmless enough, with possible spin-off benefits. for years the 29er focus has been on XC rims and tires and forks and frame geometries.
    194 Praxis Carbon Ullrs for sale, $290: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...54#post5606654

I hope the spinoff of this is that there is a wider selection of 29er tires over 2.35
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

And if you can't look at that dissent tread and tell me why it's a stupid design that works against itself, your bike geek card is officially revoked.
    I give, why does the Dissent tread work against itself?

Not saying I had a legitimate bike geek card to begin with . . . .
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

If I could have a quiver of DH bikes I'd rock one at times...

Yes, it probably corners like shit, is flexy, isn't all that agile blah blah BUT I think if you are a bigger guy, its ability to roll over rocks with more speed (in theory) and the traction you could get in off camber stuff could make up for it...

re: the Dissent's tread pattern -- it doesn't look like the patterns i prefer, but i don't really care. I'm not in the market for a DH 29er. But the fact that wtb is making a 2 ply dh 29er tire makes it possible for niner, intense etc to play around w/ the possibilities.

re: the 29er intense geo -- from the little i've read, this is a first-pass proto effort, so don't make any firm conclusions just based on this teaser.

all else being equal, a 29er can get by w/ a steeper HA than a 26er. I long ago concluded that 29ers needed to go slacker than they've tended to be, and recently they have; but I'm hardly the first to notice that you can easily roll down some techy steep sections on a 29er w/ a 70 HA that would feel downright sketchy on a 26er w/ a 70 deg HA. So who knows, once designers start messing around w/ a variety of 29er geos, they may decide that the right DH HA is 2 degrees (for example) steeper than on a 26er DH bike. That would help keep the wheelbase shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    I hope the spinoff of this is that there is a wider selection of 29er tires over 2.35
    what, so you can use them as a belt for your slacks?
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    what, so you can use them as a belt for your slacks?

Booyah!

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I give, why does the Dissent tread work against itself?

Not saying I had a legitimate bike geek card to begin with . . . .
    The center knobs make sense. The sipes are at an angle that points your momentum towards the direction you want to go when your wheel is turned.

The sideknobs are the opposite. Picture the direction that sipe is pointed when on the ground. If you turn your wheel to the right, the sipes want to grab dirt and send the tire to the left.

I even saw an interbike vid with a wtb tire "designer" (sic) saying they put the sideknobs on backwards to open up the channel between them and the centerknobs. So why not just move the fucking knobs instead of turning them around?