TR: Sun Rise on Saint Mary's 11/5/2009

Crew:
    Skibum193
    (Tough_Goseys_Roommate)_TGR
    Yours Truly
    Deep_Days

Outfits:
    Skibum193: Pure Steeze
    (Tough_Goseys_Roommate)_TGR: Light Pink Birthday Suit w\ Gucci Galaxy Style Fall Handbag
    Yours Truly: Soul Blades, NOTHING ELSE
    Deep_Days: (local) on volkls

After getting up at an ungodly hour of 2:30 I ate a light breakfast of eggo Waffles, while, to my left, TGR was eating steel wool in preparation for some yeti battles. Based on Skibum and TGR's extreme mussyness(mouse pussy) and my own lack of avalanche shredknowledge we opted for a low angle shred-zone. After picking up Erik we proceeded to Saint Mary's(relatively uneventful except for the pink yeti we saw(fuzzy)). The hunt started around 4:30 with snow pretty much from the road(except for the trail to the lake). We paused briefly at the lake to enjoy the visuals and exchange our favorite Deep_Days memorys (RIP). Of note the headwall above the lake is amazingly filled in, and would probably offer some fun lines, especially if you are into swimming. Then proceeded the skin onward. Of course the perfectly still night turned to winds(4th class yeti factor) instantaneously upon arriving on THE GLACIER. We proceeded on through the ice-falls at the head of the glacier after momentarily losing TGR to a crevass monster. As usual the snow makeup was everything from deep powder(boilerplate) to neck deep powder(sastrugi), but definitely worth shredding. I had been hoping James Peak would have enough snow to ski, but it definitely needs a few more feet of snow, although Bancroft looks like it has a skiable line off the summit. At the top we all shared a romantic moment as we watched the sunrise(yeti factor 9) Pictures follow for best results view crosseyed:

Evans and Bierstadt

Sun's first rays kiss Grays and Torreys

TGR

Skibum193

Deep_Days (RIP)

TGR

Skibum193

Snow all the way to the coche de la noche.

Hopefully TGR and Skibum will add their awesome shredpics!
    Last edited by Mike_Records; 11-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Nice sunrise, icky snow?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Did you boys have to get to work or something?

nice mehus

A Few More Pics From the Day. (One of these does not belong, can you guess which)?

The Majestic James Peak

St. Mary's by Moonlight

Who is that STUD?? (That's me, c'mon now)

Looking out Yonder at some visuals.

G&T's

A wildbeast of the Tundra, two in fact.

Skibum avec la lune.

A LOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Nice sunrise, icky snow?
    The snow was fun, definitely sastrugi near the top but the bottom 3/4 was smooth enough. Definitely remarkably hard, but still very fun, I would do it again. I was surprised how quickly saint mary's fills in the whole skiers right has oodles of new snow in it as does the headwall by the lake.

As for why we got up so early, we wanted to take advantage of the full moon, it was beautiful!

Yep, that was a fun time! Glad to get out with you guys!

(Thanks for the chuckles, especially. Psyched out of my mind that time is creepin' along. See you guys sooooon. I'll call you in the next day or two to work out some shredding arrangements).
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Sick line. Glad you didn't get nabbed by the toilet yeti.

good pics guys looks like some awesome scenery
    fuck it

ROFL. Mike-your writeups kill me.
    nice photos!

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Nice, looks like a good time! Come out yonder!

im gonna bump this just because its the most recent. how do you think the glacier is looking right now? i was thinking about taking a trip somewhere tomorrow morning and this seemed like a good candidate.

avalanche conditions seem ok, but would like another more experienced opinion. wanna take the pooch up there and do not want to put him in danger but since the most we've gotten in the past month is a few inches so i think it may be stable enough. please feel free to flame me if you think otherwise, because i don't like taking chances especially with the pup.

any help would be awesome...thanks

Skibum193 and I went up to Saint Mary's Glacier yesterday, its the first time I've been up there since this TR almost exactly two years ago. We found variable snow from delicious cream cheese to terrifying wind crust. I must be turning into a mussy(mouse pussy), I'm scared of hitting all the rocks I've heard about at Berthoud

Erik

Erik

As usual a more complete description over on le blog.