Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: f-stop packs

I think you should either collect broken cameras and lenses or make up 1:1 models out of wood or foam block or something. Then your unique service could be to load up the bag just as hypothesized by the consumer, show it to 'em and, Bam. Sale. You could even charge $5-10 for the service and deduct it from the eventual purchase.

saaka! Guest
    That is a pretty legit idea.

We actually are working with Lensrentals.com on a few things... one of them is to photograph as many lens combo's as possible and have them easily accessible to the public.

Buuut... as everything at F-Stop... these things seem to take longer than seemingly needed.

i am going to run that idea by lens rental though.

Thanks

So how is everyone liking their Loka's? I am about to pull the trigger on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Tried to reply Trainwreck but post is missing. Love my Loka. Hopefully previous post will get approved w/pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Tried to reply Trainwreck but post is missing. Love my Loka. Hopefully previous post will get approved w/pic.
    Never mind, something must have gone wrong when I tried to post this last time. Loka rocks and not just for BC. Taking the tikes for some cruising allows to not only pack the cam gear but also the necessary provisions a 3 and 5 year old need for a day on the slopes. Just not sure this is what FStop Gear had in mind when they designed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I dig my Loka a lot. I think on a cold day, it would be a tight fit for my puffy, but I usually keep my avi gear, small camera block, liter of water, 2 goggles, extra gloves, and extra hat, with 1 or 2 layers (R1 hoody or Capilene 4), and there's a wee bit of room to spare. I keep a spare headlamp, slope meter, knife, and miscellaneous other essentials in the inside lid pocket, and a litte food in the top pocket. Skins fit in the back pocket.

This makes for a pretty full pack, but once I'm out some of it ends up in use, which frees up a little room. It rides really nice, nicer than my BCA Alp 40 I think. This is really one of my favorite packs I own now. The avi gear is pretty quick to access. If you pack it right, you can see the shovel, probe, and handle above everything when you need quick access. Sometimes my extra layer is in the way, but it's quick to move it to the side and get to that gear. I could see how Hop and maybe others prefer the avi gear to be in its own compartment, but it really is quick to get to if you need it. For me it's a compromise I'll make to have a pack that skis and carries camera gear well.

And, access to the camera is really quick. I usually put the pack down on its back right next to or on top of my skis, unzip the back flap, and the camera is out. Putting it away takes less than a minute to get back to skiing.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Jon and Cosmo that is exactly what I needed, thank you for the feedback. Trigger = pulled.

I am stoked on mine. Only done 2 days touring with it but works great, holds all my gear & doesn't feel like a normal blocky camera pack. Quick access to my camera, and the pack it self seems really well built & solid. Head & shoulders above the dakine pack I was using.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

I ordered my Loka on Saturday and it shall be mine on Thursday. I'll be selling my Satori - it's sweet, but a little too big for me. I had actually ordered the Tilopa last year and they screwed up and sent me the Satori. I used it anyhow because I was going on a trip and didn't actually realize it was a Satori until a few months later anyhow.

Strange, but true. Anyone interested in a mint red Satori with XL camera block?

Any opinions on using the Tilopa BC as a school pack, without the photo insert, when wanted? Would it be way too big for this purpose? Thinking along the lines of a laptop, textbook, couple of notebooks, random supplies, and maybe a jacket. I like the look of the Tilopa, but I'm not sure if it would be overkill for general usage. Any opinions? ( Or shots with the pack on )
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Quote Originally Posted by carvemeister View Post
    I ordered my Loka on Saturday and it shall be mine on Thursday. I'll be selling my Satori - it's sweet, but a little too big for me. I had actually ordered the Tilopa last year and they screwed up and sent me the Satori. I used it anyhow because I was going on a trip and didn't actually realize it was a Satori until a few months later anyhow.

Strange, but true. Anyone interested in a mint red Satori with XL camera block?
    Yes. I think this is the pack I need for skiing Elbrus this summer. PM sent.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Microcosm View Post
    Any opinions on using the Tilopa BC as a school pack, without the photo insert, when wanted? Would it be way too big for this purpose? Thinking along the lines of a laptop, textbook, couple of notebooks, random supplies, and maybe a jacket. I like the look of the Tilopa, but I'm not sure if it would be overkill for general usage. Any opinions? ( Or shots with the pack on )
    Hard to say, the Loka seems more suited to the size you're looking for, but doesn't have the laptop sleeve of the Tilopa. If you have a smaller laptop, you could probably fit it into the sleeve that is designed for the water bladder in the loka.
    Last edited by jon turner; 01-24-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

ridiculous. that is what Dakine is for.

Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    Hard to say, the Loka seems more suited to the size you're looking for, but doesn't have the laptop sleeve of the Tilopa. If you have a smaller laptop, you could probably fit it into the sleeve that is designed for the water bladder in the loka.
    Small, like 15 inch?

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    ridiculous. that is what Dakine is for.
    Fair enough. Though currently I have 3 Dakine packs, and none of them really provide completely what I need.(mission, some other generic pack, and the photo sequence) I carry a lot of shit with me, and I walk for awhile. It's also been cold/ snowy constantly and I'm thinking the fstop packs might hold up better. Not to mention Spring time brings rain, and I'll still be walking. Already have had the Dakine packs soaked too many times for comfort with a laptop inside.
    And obviously this isn't going to be my only use for it. Issue is I don't have nearly as much time for photography anymore, but when I do I'd love to have this pack. And if I'm paying $200+ I'm hoping it's versatile. Also possibly planning on hiking with it.

Thanks for the help all

I may just have to order one to truly get the sizing down. I haven't seen anyone in this area with an fstop pack, unfortunately.
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Would this be for only general usage? Or just when you weren't carrying camera gear? If it is only general usage then I'd say it'd be ridiculous as well.

As for the Loka, I am really liking mine. I only carry camera gear about half the time and the pack skis really well with or without the ICU (small). Along with the small ICU I usually carry and extra set of gloves, extra goggles, shovel, probe, hydration, and an extra base layer. Have a little bit of room left. Skins (XL 130mm G3s) just barely fit in the outside pocket, but they make it in there. If I carried more than the small ICU I'd probably like to have the Tilopia BC, but I am very content for now. Extremely well built bag, carries skis a-frame style quite well. If I were to have any complaints, it is that I can't really get the chest strap tight enough, but it is only a small concern.

Small, like 15 inch?

Fair enough. Though currently I have 3 Dakine packs, and none of them really provide completely what I need.(mission, some other generic pack, and the photo sequence) I carry a lot of shit with me, and I walk for awhile. It's also been cold/ snowy constantly and I'm thinking the fstop packs might hold up better. Not to mention Spring time brings rain, and I'll still be walking. Already have had the Dakine packs soaked too many times for comfort with a laptop inside.
    And obviously this isn't going to be my only use for it. Issue is I don't have nearly as much time for photography anymore, but when I do I'd love to have this pack. And if I'm paying $200+ I'm hoping it's versatile. Also possibly planning on hiking with it.

Thanks for the help all

I may just have to order one to truly get the sizing down. I haven't seen anyone in this area with an fstop pack, unfortunately.
    Check out Jansport too.. My friend gave me a BC pack for xmas. It's pretty well constructed.

Small, like 15 inch?
    Doubt it. A netbook or 11" laptop, maybe a 13" laptop. I'll try to stick my 13" macbook in there, but I don't think it fits. It wouldn't be a big deal to me as I have a padded sleeve to keep my laptop in.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    This is a good point. After thinking about it i realized I will need to carry my laptop for travel to I am going to get the Tilopa BC instead of the Loka.

saaka! Guest
    Small, like 15 inch?

i would say that it would not be that ridiculous. Adding up school use, hiking, assuming some skiing, some weather, long commutes and photography.... you will have to compromise some where. Depending on the hiking and your photo gear, those are the places I would rather not compromise.

Also a loka can take a 15inch laptop but not in the sleeve. You can fit a 17 macbookpro in a separate padded sleeve with a medium ICU. So a 15 should also work.

Keep in mind the Loka is not specifically targeted for Laptop/tablet/netbook use. Although some will fit in the Non Padded sleeve.

With out the ICU, you pretty much have a well made 52L outdoor bag. So if that fits your needs now you'll likely be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by saaka! View Post

Keep in mind the Loka is not specifically targeted for Laptop/tablet/netbook use. Although some will fit in the Non Padded sleeve.

With out the ICU, you pretty much have a well made 52L outdoor bag. So if that fits your needs now you'll likely be ok.
    According to the website:

Loka - 37L
    Tilopa - 50L
    Tilopa BC - 48L
    Satori - 58L

Correct?

Does the old Tilopa at 50L actually seem significantly smaller than the Satori? I'm trying to decide between the two for my mountaineering bag for skiing Mt. Elbrus in Russian this summer. I need all the room I can get to fit a small ICU and all my gear, so I'm assuming I'll want the Satori.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

saaka! Guest
    You are correct, 50L - my mistake

The difference in volume for the BC at 48L is the side pockets. The Satori is not that much larger but is about 4cm taller in vertical. I would say it skis and carries the same.

The Satori update is slightly different, it did not get the rugged make over so it is lighter. This means that there is no TPU base or back panel and the snowboard straps are removable. It also has newly designed side pockets... and the other now standard features the BC has.

The Satori on the site is sold out. Expect the new Satori EXP in April.

Any one want to trade a Loka for a Tilopa?

I am more a slack country ski guy and a mountain biker and the smaller size of the Loka would make more sense. I used the Tilopa twice and looks brand new.

Anyone using a small or medium ICU in their Satori. I quickly scanned through the thread but didn't see anything but, I could have missed it. I've used the pack a bunch the last two years and love it, but I am usually wishing that I could take more non-photo gear. I rarely fill my XL ICU. How does it carry with a smaller ICU and not fully packed? Is there a lot of play between the pack and ICU?

I know they all the ICUs say 7.5 deep but, does the pack compress depth-wise more? Or more importantly does it feel thinner. That's the one thing I wish I could change. I don't like technical climbing with the satori because it throws my center of gravity too far away from the rock.

Hopefully I will be picking up a Loka/small ICU soon, all the reviews seem to be great and I am looking forward to being able to bring my camera gear into the BC without being scared shitless of damaging it.

saaka! Guest
    Hi Andrew the ICU should hold well as the pack is set up to be tightened around that area. Your are putting our largest pack with the smallest ICU, so I would not expect a perfect match. There will likely be a bit of personal compromise needed.

I might suggest the medium as it has a different shape that tapers towards the top, this may provide a better fit suited to what your after. The medium ICU is shaped like so specifically for keeping a lower profile while holding a pro-sized or gripped body.

Either way, I am pretty sure medium and short are sold out right now but will be restocked in about 6 weeks.

Also I would not say that the ICU will compress much more than its actual size. You could really tighten the side straps but you would be crushing your icu. We use a high density cross link foam which basically means it wont gracefully compress in this situation. A softer foam might have more give at the loss of protection and support.

We do have another line coming next winter that may work for your needs. They are ICU's that are sized for Pro-sumer bodies (5D, 7D). Lower profile and work rather well for keeping a low profile. I am a big fan of a low profile and its is one of my main goals and desires when designing them.

I'd say the perfect answer is a Loka with Small or Medium ICU.