Does anyone here work in the Wind Farm industry?

Since the building industry has crumbled to pieces, it's time to look at jobs in other fields of work. The wind farms sound like a booming business and I just wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts or experience on it.

I don't work in the industry and really don't know about jobs related to installation/maintenance, but we have a windmill manufacturing plant in my home town that has been laying off workers for over a year...so I'm assuming that industry is slowing down a bit right now too.
    Last edited by JONg Doe; 11-05-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: correct spelling

yeah, it ain't booming. I have two friends who worked for a wind company that basically just stopped paying them and is now in bankruptcy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    If you want to know more about the wind industry, i might know someone in yurp that knows quite a bit about it, shoot me a pm. Otherwise, I have nothing really pertinent to add.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

yeah, it ain't booming. I have two friends who worked for a wind company that basically just stopped paying them and is now in bankruptcy.
    Things slowed down due to the tightening financial markets. There has been lots of consolidation so if you can get in with the right developer its full speed ahead. Kind of depends on what your skills are but I can tell you with experience that there are plenty of jobs out there. http://www.awea.org <--search for careers under "resources" link. Good luck. It's a great industry to be in right now.

im hammered in New Orleans, but my good friend Nigel works up in upstate NY at a wind farm. his stalker book ishttp://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=27802219&ref=ts
    have fun
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

loJack Guest
    ^^^ thats post me laugh, especially the hammered part.

i read a article that claims wind farms are killing bats...and this is very bad as far as bugs go.

I read an article that claims cars are killing bugs...and this is very bad as far as bats go.

I also read an article about people who read something and pass on the "information" without research or insight. They went on to claim those people are fucktards.

Wind energy is an up an down market, just like the oil and gas industry. Basically, if energy prices go up (oil, natural gas, electricity) it creates more demand for alternative energy as well as making it more affordable to produce. Because energy prices are relativley cheap right now, it is not economical for the wind industry market to grow right now. So basically wait until energy prices increase, and more jobs will open up as a result. I guarantee it will happen, it's just a matter of when. The alternative energy market can be very unstable, just like the mining industry for example. It all breaks down into supply and demand.

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articl...-chris-turner/

An articale on how the chermans promote solar and I would assume wind power ... by agreeing to buy green power for a much higher price to promote the development OF

Look at some of the installers, and some maintenance companies. There are a bunch right now doing refurbs of older turbines.

I work with legal and policy aspects of wind, so I'm a bit far from wrenches and grease, but I see significant growth in jobs from wind in the next 20 years. A deepwater offshore wind project in Maine has been estimated by the university to lead to up to $20 billion in investment and 15,600 jobs -- but many of these jobs are in engineering and manufacturing, not just construction (and really not operation). As far as development, a number of our largest construction firms are getting into it.

It's no gold rush, but it will be a lot of work for thousands of people.