Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yeah, don't even think of cortisone. Weakens tendons, and there is a life time limit of 3 injections in a given spot.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

A few years ago dry needling/cortisone shot 100% cured my chronic PF-itis. IME it was a miracle cure, stopped nearly a year of suffering. I know a half dozen other people (all ultrarunners) who were cured by the same treatment, same doc.

But, yeah, best to ignore the experts and rely on advice from TGR mags with no training.

Don't get up in the morning on bare feet and never go barefoot. Get a good shoe insert like Superfeet. Worked for me. You have to 100% quit anything that aggravates it too.

I’m going through what’s probably a mild bout compared to others. Was prescribed diclofenac sodium and feel improvement. Was tripping it would impact ski season but after taking better care of the foot looks like it’s coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I’m going through what’s probably a mild bout compared to others. Was prescribed diclofenac sodium and feel improvement. Was tripping it would impact ski season but after taking better care of the foot looks like it’s coming around.
    Glad that is helping out! Check out this site, it offers good information about the pathophysiology and treatment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Glad that is helping out! Check out this site, it offers good information about the pathophysiology and treatment of it.
    Thanks! I’ll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    A few years ago dry needling/cortisone shot 100% cured my chronic PF-itis. IME it was a miracle cure, stopped nearly a year of suffering. I know a half dozen other people (all ultrarunners) who were cured by the same treatment, same doc.

But, yeah, best to ignore the experts and rely on advice from TGR mags with no training.
    There's mixed advice coming from the "experts". It remains "controversial".

PRP to us/them, isn't yet proven by medical standards. Now, you and I can agree whole heartedly that PRP makes absolutely completely logical medical/physiological sense, but then refute it on a 'lack of evidence basis,' when the "evidence" is often leveraged by insurance reimbursement rates.

Cortisone is not a healing remedy. It is a pain relief aid. I explain it, as the ortho who taught me, as packing a thousand NSAIDS (Ibuprofins) into a joint and letting that kill any inflammation. It really doesn't induce healing, and inhibits many of the molecular reactions that lead to tissue regeneration. That is exactly what it does. Inhibits the cellular/molecular response to injury. It is well known among the medical community that it isn't a fix, but the procedure makes patients temporarily and in some cases, permanently, happy. Insurance typically pays pretty well for this quick little go.

On the other hand, PRP is a healing agent. It contains about 7 major growth factors which are derived from bone marrow stem cells. Now, if we want to get technical and really advanced with shit, we'd talk about stem cell therapy with bone marrow injections. But for those you have to tap your own pelvis to extract bone marrow and who really wants to go through all that. Centrifuged bone marrow to exact; the cell rich fluid is extracted and injected into joints. A similar but less invasive procedure is done with meniscus repairs. It was found over analysis of healing rates of meniscus repairs with ACL replacements vs isolated meniscus repairs, that those with the concomitant acl tear + repair showed higher rates of healing vs the isolated ones. It was extrapolated (not medically proven) that the difference was attributable to the leakage of bone marrow from the drilling of the ACL anchors leeching into the joint space and providing stem cells for the regeneration of otherwise metabolically slow/inactive tissue (meniscus). Now a meniscus repair with microfracture (tapping the femur to leak bone marrow into the joint space) is the standard of care for isolated meniscus tears.

As a medical student up to date on all of this new shit, I'll take PRP prophylactically for wear joints before I'd take a steroid shot, anywhere. Steroid shot as last resort, yeah, give it to me. But not before prolo. Literal sugar water.

Steroids however, are very useful in cases like acute respiratory distress syndrome, giant cell arteritis, sepsis and lupus. If you have those steroids are good. real good.

^^Great post.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Just got this shit 2 weeks ago. Hurts like hell ! Any advice ?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You have to 100% quit anything that aggravates it too.
    Great ! Now I can quit my job !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    There's mixed advice coming from the "experts". It remains "controversial".

PRP to us/them, isn't yet proven by medical standards. Now, you and I can agree whole heartedly that PRP makes absolutely completely logical medical/physiological sense, but then refute it on a 'lack of evidence basis,' when the "evidence" is often leveraged by insurance reimbursement rates.

Cortisone is not a healing remedy. It is a pain relief aid. I explain it, as the ortho who taught me, as packing a thousand NSAIDS (Ibuprofins) into a joint and letting that kill any inflammation. It really doesn't induce healing, and inhibits many of the molecular reactions that lead to tissue regeneration. That is exactly what it does. Inhibits the cellular/molecular response to injury. It is well known among the medical community that it isn't a fix, but the procedure makes patients temporarily and in some cases, permanently, happy. Insurance typically pays pretty well for this quick little go.

On the other hand, PRP is a healing agent. It contains about 7 major growth factors which are derived from bone marrow stem cells. Now, if we want to get technical and really advanced with shit, we'd talk about stem cell therapy with bone marrow injections. But for those you have to tap your own pelvis to extract bone marrow and who really wants to go through all that. Centrifuged bone marrow to exact; the cell rich fluid is extracted and injected into joints. A similar but less invasive procedure is done with meniscus repairs. It was found over analysis of healing rates of meniscus repairs with ACL replacements vs isolated meniscus repairs, that those with the concomitant acl tear + repair showed higher rates of healing vs the isolated ones. It was extrapolated (not medically proven) that the difference was attributable to the leakage of bone marrow from the drilling of the ACL anchors leeching into the joint space and providing stem cells for the regeneration of otherwise metabolically slow/inactive tissue (meniscus). Now a meniscus repair with microfracture (tapping the femur to leak bone marrow into the joint space) is the standard of care for isolated meniscus tears.

As a medical student up to date on all of this new shit, I'll take PRP prophylactically for wear joints before I'd take a steroid shot, anywhere. Steroid shot as last resort, yeah, give it to me. But not before prolo. Literal sugar water.

Steroids however, are very useful in cases like acute respiratory distress syndrome, giant cell arteritis, sepsis and lupus. If you have those steroids are good. real good.
    I won't comment on PRP specifically because I haven't done the reading. However, as a medical student you will learn, hopefully sooner rather than later, that lots of treatments that make "absolutely, completely, logical medical/physiological sense" turn out not to work.
    As far as the insurance companies go --there are few if any nonsurgical treatments more expensive than surgery. If PRP saves people from surgery the insurance companies will be all for it.

I agree that healing is always best, just keep in mind that sometimes relieving symptoms is the best we can do and is the main thing people expect of us.
    Last edited by old goat; 09-03-2019 at 12:14 PM.

I doubt strongly if any kind of shot/quick fix is gona help you, cortisone sounds like it might cause more problems than it fixes

I seem to remember having to give up running for a year and then going to a motion control shoe ( probably sacrilege ) which helped me to become a forefoot striker and I have not had any problems since

It did not hurt to skate ski, alpine ski, and telemark
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know