Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Yeah i'm keen to jib some more avi runout

The craziest part is, last weekend i was skiing wet softpack/corn/slush groomers all day and had a blast. I've had over the head rogers pass days. They were fun. Yesterday was also fun, but in more of a 'charge til your legs give out' kinda way. Anyone who says it wasn't either wasn't in the right spots, or needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Yum. Long may it continue, hoping to make it back to Whis for March

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    Anyone who says it wasn't either wasn't in the right spots, or needs a serious attitude adjustment.
    For me, 1/2 the challenge of skiing around W/B is knowing where to go and when, which on days like these means finding that narrow couloir of sweet pow in between avie slide debris on a steep line. It may not be as asthetic as Rogers pass, but you can certainly ski a lot steeper stuff with way more stable conditions.

Surfs up could go wall to wall and look like a total disaster from the top, but there is always a narrow patch of snow that doesn't slide on the far skiers left side by the rocks that goes a few hundred meters and usually stays untouched. One of those, if your not 1st, you're last type of lines, but nobody ever seems to go down there when it looks like a war zone.

It's a good line to ski even when the main slope hasn't slid because it will be your island of safety if the whole thing does go. Be careful because debris from the hidden chute skiers left always crosses your path in the valley and you will experience the worlds worst/longest tomahawk if you hit it at speed when its hidden by 20cms of fresh. I know from experience.

I love skiing deep powder, but I'd much rather ski marginal snow on steep terrain than walk up to some alpine meadow that snaps if a mouse runs across it.

Different strokes I suppose. I just like blower pow. You guys are happy with well .... crusty mank overlaying stripes of good snow among avalanche debris runnels. I can respect the intrigue of route finding except i prefer my route finding skinning up to find good snow rather then when skiing down. Each to his own and all that happy fun crap.

Now back to conditions. Today was pure unbridled shit. It is however snowing at least to about 1100 - 1200m. Alpine is shut. Too bad shredcornstudded turds isn't around to tell patrol how to do their job and open the alpine in the face of the 100kmh + winds

Yeah today was shit. Lee, I did one more run on 7th and called it quits.
    It was double polling fury into massive headwind to get off the stupid cat track. Snowboarders were really struggling. All that damp snow hardened up but by tomorrow that should be a distant memory.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Different strokes I suppose. I just like blower pow. You guys are happy with well .... crusty mank overlaying stripes of good snow among avalanche debris runnels. I can respect the intrigue of route finding except i prefer my route finding skinning up to find good snow rather then when skiing down. Each to his own and all that happy fun crap.
    Everyone likes blower pow. But it's not the only way to have fun on skis. I don't know w/b as well as some of the uber locals but I've been skiing it long enough that I can find my way to a solid 10-12 runs of fast, boot-top steep pow skiing on a day like Wednesday.

Backcountry skiing in the coast mtns is great, I do more and more of it these days, but it doesn't replace a solid day of charging w/b classics. And I'll stand by my statement that there was good to great snow to be had in a bunch of particular spots yesterday. My shit-eating grin proved it.

The craziest part is, last weekend i was skiing wet softpack/corn/slush groomers all day and had a blast. I've had over the head rogers pass days. They were fun. Yesterday was also fun, but in more of a 'charge til your legs give out' kinda way. Anyone who says it wasn't either wasn't in the right spots, or needs a serious attitude adjustment.
    ''The best skier in the world is the one having the most fun'' so yeah get out there and enjoy being on the mountains no matter what the conditions are,i also had a blast yesterday with my buddies riding around and today for a laugh we did international trees which was like being pink socked by a dead goat with rigamortis,but anyway..

and i don't need an attitude adjustment thanks very much,this thread is a resource for alot of people wanting to know the conditions for the said day,therefore i can come on here and bitch about the shitty snow quality all i like and the people who like blower over the head pow will know what i'm talking about

I def see your point, my only response would be that like I said, in certain spots the conditions were sick yesterday, and I think it's more likely that a guy like powder11 (who assumedly knows where all those spots are and apparently isn't a super pow snob) is going to be reading this thread looking for reports on conditions, as opposed to a guy who only wants to ski blower exclusively and therefore really shouldn't care what w/b conditions are, because he's too busy skiing rogers pass or silverton or whatever.

In other news, it's fucking nuking up there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Now back to conditions. Today was pure unbridled shit. It is however snowing at least to about 1100 - 1200m. Alpine is shut. Too bad shredcornstudded turds isn't around to tell patrol how to do their job and open the alpine in the face of the 100kmh + winds
    I hear ya chirpin big bird! You should move to Utah or the interior. Endless amounts of blower pow. The Wasatch is right up your alley with lots of easy access to big, wide open terrain. I loved it when I lived there, but find the coast mtns to be much less stressfull in terms of skiing bigger vertical and steep terrain with confindence, so I can live with a bit more water content in my snow. Lines like Mt. Superior in LCC are a dime a dozen here and totally skiable on a regular basis and thats what its all about for me. Like you said, different strokes...

100k wind is shit, but at least the FL dropped to the valley. Maybe the next few days will be good to go.

i hear you. There's no way I'd ski faces like Fissile in mid-winter if it had the Colorado shitshow snowpack. You know I'm just yanking chains because i can't help it. It's better then plumbing, Now back to triple-billing on boring incorporation work

Today sucked. Yesterday the first two runs down false face with no tracks were unreal. Bottomless. All blown in and it didn't slide even though it was bombed. Cleanest and smoothest I ever seen false face. I was making GS turns and getting plenty of snow in my face. Didn't hit the hard stuff once. By third lap it had been schralped.
    Anything below that was absolute crap.
    Today everything was schrapled.

any thoughts on tomorrow? what's the likelihood for the alpine to open?

Whistler - Blackcomb.
    Tonight..Snow at times heavy.
    Snowfall accumulation 20 to 30 cm.
    Alpine temperature steady near minus 4.
    Freezing level 900 metres.
    Mountain top winds southeast 40 km/h rising to 60 gusting to 90.
    Friday..Snow ending near noon then a mix of sun and cloud.
    Snowfall accumulation near 15 cm.
    Alpine temperature falling to minus 6.
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Backcountry skiing in the coast mtns is great, I do more and more of it these days, but it doesn't replace a solid day of charging w/b classics.
    I couldn't disagree more with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    im with xyz but have used up poke the bear statements of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    They're two different things are they not, if you're fit enough to get in 10-15 chargefest runs in one backcountry day then someone probably has a spot on a tour de france team for you

Charging laps at w/b makes you a better skier. Sick terrain and lots of rippers to follow into gnarly lines. I ski more conservatively in the BC and it is harder to get better because you can't push your abilities as hard. And everyone looks like a hero in powder. A good combination of touring and ripping Blackcomb is where it is at for me.

Midstation Blackcomb gondola. not even kidding.
    They're two different things are they not, if you're fit enough to get in 10-15 chargefest runs in one backcountry day then someone probably has a spot on a tour de france team for you
    hahah, just made my day!

i can vouche for the freezing level being low, im looking out my window in staff housing at Base II and its snowwing pretty hard

things sounding gooooooood for tomorrow....cross fingers, knock on wood, smoke a few for Ullr!
    http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA...-ir4-loop.html

To skip class tomorrow or not?

right at the lights, straight on till night
    a big thank you to all you good folks who left after the alpine shut today...at about 2pm a select few mid mountain lines crossed the threshold and it was a fucking blast choking on pow on an empty mountain until the closing bell. please stay home tomorrow too i hear it's going to be pure shit...
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

lee l. i moved here (whistler) from Utah this year. I am moving back as soon as possible. the snow here is not very good. The best snow days here = less than stellar in Utah. oh yeah and it doesnt fkn rain at the resorts in Utah, not even at the bottom, no rain at all.
    "For in the end life and liberty can be as much endangered from illegal methods used to convict those thought to be criminals as from the actual criminals themselves".

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    a big thank you to all you good folks who left after the alpine shut today...at about 2pm a select few mid mountain lines crossed the threshold and it was a fucking blast choking on pow on an empty mountain until the closing bell. please stay home tomorrow too i hear it's going to be pure shit...
    closing bell at 230,bet you got a shit load of runs in. 230 jesus what a joke
    "For in the end life and liberty can be as much endangered from illegal methods used to convict those thought to be criminals as from the actual criminals themselves".

Well snowranger, on behave of Whistlerites everywhere we apologize for the less than utah weather mother nature has blessed us with. Thank you for your patronage and we glad you enjoyed our little mountain community now if you please........

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Ranger View Post
    lee l. i moved here (whistler) from Utah this year. I am moving back as soon as possible. the snow here is not very good. The best snow days here = less than stellar in Utah. oh yeah and it doesnt fkn rain at the resorts in Utah, not even at the bottom, no rain at all.
    wwwwaaaaaahhhhhhh....I think you have some sand in your vagina. harden up, pussy.