Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BIG ASS WAVES COMING to PNW and Van. Island

Well I am stuck in Alberta, but it doesn't stop me from keeping tabs on the waves. 25ft reported for Friday-Saturday.. pretty gnarly .. looking forward to seeing some pics
    http://www.betacuts.com
    - Custom vinyl decals -

I've been watching it too. Earlier this week stormsurf was predicting a 52-foot surf height from primary swell at the Cape Elizabeth buoy. They've since downgraded it to only 45 feet. I hope it has the right mojo to send a pulse into the SOJDF.

Magicseaweed is reporting 283 degrees. That's about optimal for the SOJDF, non?

If the wind stays down, it could be all time.

OPB (NPR for Oregon) reported a 5.3 earthquake off the coast of OR this morning
    http://tinyurl.com/yec2jaq

Even our local weather guru is talking this one up:

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2009/11/big-storm.html

Hugh Conway Guest
    Who the fuck cares? You want to get pummeled with a tree trunk?

Down to a 948mb this morning.

No tree trucks down this way in the water. Yet. Even if we have winds, town should be fairly solid. Season opener?

EDIT: look how damn warm it is. Hope this thing dives a bit and pulls in some cooler air.

Hugh Conway Guest
    No, it won't be because I don't get back to town till next week

still waist high here in paradise though

Looks interesting, could be good if the winds dont kill it.

Too steep for where I am.

it's been raging

Force 11 sustained in the GOA last night, 35'+ seas
    25'+ is swell

1000 miles South of the 949mb low:
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46004

Wish I didn't have class.

gunit130 Guest
    as mush as i hate this phrase

worthless without pics

Surf Logs Kill!!!!!!

Just for some stoke, check out that new J.O.B. clip on surfline....it's epic.

http://www.surfline.com/video/trailers/who-is-job_31970

If anyone watches, is that lime green barreling right Nias?

Anyone hitting the SOJDF today or this weekend? It's looking promising.
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

Heading to Tofino tomorrow.

I saw a pic of San Juan Island from yesterday and it was surfable, which is a once or twice a year thing at most.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Heading to Tofino tomorrow.

I saw a pic of San Juan Island from yesterday and it was surfable, which is a once or twice a year thing at most.
    not to shit on your parade by why are you going to tofino. almost everything will be closed out except for mackenzie beach.

go to port renfrew, or jordan river

Quote Originally Posted by postman22 View Post
    not to shit on your parade by why are you going to tofino. almost everything will be closed out except for mackenzie beach.

go to port renfrew, or jordan river
    I'm going to Tofino because it's the girl's choice, not mine.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

post the pics of san juan please
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

Was nice down in San Diego this morning. Inconsistent head high sets with a few pluses before the tide got to high. Picked the wrong time to paddle out and got the small workout. Nice to get some surf that gets the juices flowing again. I sure am glad this is suppose to be around through Monday. You guys up north that can deal with / want double over head plus are my heros.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yesterday was pretty big north of town. Scotts looked about 15-20' faces, with a few clean outs. I watched for a long time and saw one ride. Big. I also watched a guy paddling out, ducking 40+ lines of white water on the inside, before being driven down the beach, into the impact zone and out to the beach. I left about 2/3rds of the way through his second try.

3 Mile was big. No one out to gauge the size. Peeling nicely. Looked like a life threatening paddle out.

By the time I got to Natural Bridges, the crowd was thick and tide high-ish, but some 8' barrels were being had at Sidewalks. I checked out Swift but the tide was pretty filled in. I decided to check it later. Went back at 4 to no avail. I watched from the top of John Street. About 25 guys jumped off the rock in ten minutes. Tide was still too high and swell not so consistent at Swift. Occasionally a nice 10-12' bomb would wind through all the way. I did see one killer ride. But the hudge crowd sent me away - it did not look that good.

Feeling like a pansy or worse - not really a surfer - I was sure to make my way out today. When I got to Scotts only one guy was out. So I watched. It was looked about 10', glassy-ish and semi clean. So I suited up and grabbed my 7'1".

It was bigger than it looked from shore. Solid 12' with a fair amount of 15' faces thrown in. I got two nice long waves. One about 10' and another about 12' - but man I struggled. Wish I was in better shape, had my 7'6" and my balls from a few years ago. Still, it was a blast. I think I ditched my board about 10 times to dive under some 12-15' beasts.

Suprised how solid it still is today.

It has been an enjoyable several days.

6 hours in the water today. Really, really nice.

Any pics of said waves?
    http://www.betacuts.com
    - Custom vinyl decals -

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yesterday was pretty big north of town. Scotts looked about 15-20' faces, with a few clean outs. I watched for a long time and saw one ride. Big. I also watched a guy paddling out, ducking 40+ lines of white water on the inside, before being driven down the beach, into the impact zone and out to the beach. I left about 2/3rds of the way through his second try.

3 Mile was big. No one out to gauge the size. Peeling nicely. Looked like a life threatening paddle out.

By the time I got to Natural Bridges, the crowd was thick and tide high-ish, but some 8' barrels were being had at Sidewalks. I checked out Swift but the tide was pretty filled in. I decided to check it later. Went back at 4 to no avail. I watched from the top of John Street. About 25 guys jumped off the rock in ten minutes. Tide was still too high and swell not so consistent at Swift. Occasionally a nice 10-12' bomb would wind through all the way. I did see one killer ride. But the hudge crowd sent me away - it did not look that good.

Feeling like a pansy or worse - not really a surfer - I was sure to make my way out today. When I got to Scotts only one guy was out. So I watched. It was looked about 10', glassy-ish and semi clean. So I suited up and grabbed my 7'1".

It was bigger than it looked from shore. Solid 12' with a fair amount of 15' faces thrown in. I got two nice long waves. One about 10' and another about 12' - but man I struggled. Wish I was in better shape, had my 7'6" and my balls from a few years ago. Still, it was a blast. I think I ditched my board about 10 times to dive under some 12-15' beasts.

Suprised how solid it still is today.
    Great report.

It wasn't that big down here, but even with the 300+ swell, we still got a lot of surf.