Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Alpine Meadows mags?

Sooo.... looks like the SO got a free Alpine pass, so I may have finally made my decision on where to ski this winter. If you see all the wooden frames with metal backs with magnetic signs on them around the lodge/base area... that's the project behind the bonus pass.

Thus, my question: are there many mags out there who ski Alpine Meadows with some regularity that would be willing to show a recent seasonal migrant skier from Utah what's up? I won't be around Dec. 5 to Jan 18 (SE Asia for Christmas... I am not above trying to bribe you with trinkets from Cambodia!), but after that it's game on as often as I can get away from class/work at UNR (basically Wednesday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday). I guess the student pass is good at Homewood too, so I'll probably head down that way occasionally.

Also, any other info about the mountain, tips, tricks, deals, etc. would be much appreciated.

(Yes, I've searched back several months, no relevant info)

Monitor the Tahoe Conditions thread.

UCL, The Dad, sinecure, stormday, fluffballs, onehotchili, etc. all ski and/or work/volunteer there.

As for tips and tricks... there are a few areas where it stays fresher and whatnot. They're not too hard to find. Hook up with one of the guys for a few hours and they'll show you around.

Homewood on big storm days when Alpine is on windhold (bring your R/R-big skis because it's not as steep as I'd like on a deep day).

Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah, lots of mags at Alpine. Post up in the general Tahoe thread when the resort opens and I am sure you will link up with folks to show you around. Personally, I just follow around Sinecure and Stormday who seem to have AM dialed as far as finding good snow.

I just tend to lap-hike Beaver/Estelle/Pond, or hit Sherwood Cliffs/Counterweight Gully and way lookers left off Scott repeatedly if left on my own.

Been skiing at Alpine every year since I was three, and will be back again this year. Definitely happy to show you around.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Agreed. Homewood for strong windy and stormy days. Lots of really fun lines there, but the chairs are slow and runs are short.

Still is a perfect option when alpine is closed. Probs why me and my friends all got the college pass for alpine/homewood also.

Happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    way lookers left off Scott repeatedly if left on my own.
    Promised Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

What they said. Personally, I'm planning to be up much of December -- opening weekend is followed by first weekend of ski team, and the next weekend starts my kids' two-week holiday break.

Scut, frush, backpack... looking forward to making some turns with you this season.

UCL, hope we'll finally be able to take more than a single run.
    not counting days 2016-17

Thanks for the info, I'll check the "Oh-9/Oh-10 Tahoe Weather, Stoke, and What's Up Thread" to see how things are progressing...

Look forward to meeting up with some Tahoe people finally, even if just for a run or two.

fwiw, i gots a Sun-Fri pass for AM/HW (will be working W/E & holidays @ NS)...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Well played.

FYI, all, it looks like you'll be able to buy Alpine passes at the SkiDazzle shows for the preseason pricing.

This thread would be incomplete if I did not pitch in and pitch Unofficial Alpine (see my sig) as another source of insider info on Alpine. Been going there myself since I was about 12.

I third the things already said and add....

Never, ever go out High T toward Twin Peaks when it is corn season

Just don't even bother with Gunner's Knob when the upper mountain is on wind hold.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

latest issue of Skiing (the "Secrets" issue) has two plugs for AM.

they have a short, bottom-of-the-page "secret" on how to find Munchkins and then they have a 2-page spread on how to find/ski Estelle.

i don't know what's going on with that mag, but the writing seems to have stepped up over the past 2 seasons and they're writing interesting features about cool shit (this ish has a cool story about illegal cabins in BC and some of the "secrets" they share are actually kind of cool and useful, not to mention some of the memoir-styled short stories are funny and entertaining).

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    i don't know what's going on with that mag, but the writing seems to have stepped up over the past 2 seasons and they're writing interesting features about cool shit
    That's the positive side. The negative is that they're doing this bro-brah bullshit, trying to reach out to the kids, and in the process, producing a magazine I can't share with mine, and taking the same male-centered approach that made my wife cancel her Outside sub a decade ago. When there's more profanity in Skiing than Powder, something's awry.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    latest issue of Skiing (the "Secrets" issue) has two plugs for AM.

they have a short, bottom-of-the-page "secret" on how to find Munchkins and then they have a 2-page spread on how to find/ski Estelle.
    Yeah, more douchebags w/o a clue or beacons dropping in onto of me in the M chutes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    That's the positive side. The negative is that they're doing this bro-brah bullshit, trying to reach out to the kids, and in the process, producing a magazine I can't share with mine, and taking the same male-centered approach that made my wife cancel her Outside sub a decade ago. When there's more profanity in Skiing than Powder, something's awry.
    i guess i'm so desensitized to the whole bro-brah bs that i overlook it. i also tend to skip those kind of stories. the one about the secret cabins in BC was actually well-written and suprisingly bro-brah less.

and that's funny, cuz i was thinking that the new Skiing was a lot like the oldish Powder in many ways.

but i hear ya. it's a shame that many a mag is going that way (GQ keeps getting more and more broish, which is funny because i think their editor is unabashedly gay and his editorials are the least bro-brahish thing about the mag...)

i guess we can thank Maxim for this (is that rag even still around?)

alpine meadows rules..... I ordered the slightly filtered pass....
    that means i'm gonna be hitting sinecure up for rides again this year.....
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

Do you guys know an old speed skier, Blasting Bobby, the cat driver? He's been there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    What they said. Personally, I'm planning to be up much of December -- opening weekend is followed by first weekend of ski team, and the next weekend starts my kids' two-week holiday break.
    Same December plan for me...

I will be in my typical Alpine Mode....chasing storms. Man, it makes my skin tingle even thinking about it:

Did somebody say alpine?
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/3231356"]Alpine February 12, 2009 on Vimeo[/ame]

More Alpine?
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/2642015"]Alpine Dec 26, 2008 - 44 inches in 48 hours. on Vimeo[/ame]

I love me some Alpine!
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/3498113"]Alpine March 4, 2009 on Vimeo[/ame]

Ah, it is almost here!
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/677247"]Alpine: January Blower on Vimeo[/ame]
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

^^^^^^ Nice!

Although Fluffballs still has my favorite Alpine video from last year:

Thumbs up

Yeah backpack, glad to hear you'll be on snow somewhere this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    ^^^^^^ Nice!

Although Fluffballs still has my favorite Alpine video from last year:
    Ya, fluffballs puts out some quality shizat for sure. That Chuter video is sick!

There are a couple of other Alpine Mags that have put out some good videos too but I can't think of them right now. I would have to do some serious sacking up to get to their level of skiing (not to mention videography)!

Well, I promise that as soon as the Pow hits I will be working on both!

Does anyone know or remember what the early season pass prices were? If so can you share please?
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9 View Post
    Yeah backpack, glad to hear you'll be on snow somewhere this winter.
    Me too... even if I only get out for 10-20 days, it'll be the most I've skied since the last time I was in school.

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    Does anyone know or remember what the early season pass prices were? If so can you share please?
    Sun - Fri (no hols) - $299; the slightly filtered - $429; unfiltered - $649.

howdy, been an alpine pass holder for 12 years and am there on most days when the snow is good (and work doesn't call).

look forward to seeing you on the hill this winter!