Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Second group in the video, kid on the right is the perfect example of why that thing isn't jong proof. One kid falls down and is suddenly treadmilled and the lift has to stop.

Pretty cut and dry to me.
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

carpet

Like I said originally it seemed silly to me but they work like a charm. The first time you hit the carpet it does give a strange sensation but no different than the first time you felt the deceleration of a detachable as you prepared to unload. Lets be serious, do you really think a ski area would spend thousands of dollars on equipment and installation costs if they did not improve uphill capacity? The Supreme chair stops far fewer times than it used to and they can run it faster. This has nothing to do with skier level, it has to do with maxing out the chair speed because any faster and you are whacking the shit out of the back of skiers legs whether the liftie is bumping it or not.

Maybe they don't work as well for knuckle draggers but for skiers they work just fine.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    ...I'll just keep skiing where there are no lines....
    Yep, me too.

It's a pretty safe assumption that our mountain won't be getting these anytime in the next couple decades.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

do none of you morons realize its not just for "helping people get on the chair". It allows a non detachable chair to be run faster as well as not having to have a lifty bump every chair. All you morons who keep saying "if you cant load a chair you should ski" should quit skiing since you cant get a simple concept like this. It has nothing to do with helping people get on the chair easier and everythign to do with running the lift faster without having to bump every chair.

As soon as you make something "idiot proof", they will invent a better idiot, in this cas a bigger "JONG".
    Nothing clever to say.

They've had setups like this in Europe for more than 15 years and they run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen
    One kid falls down and is suddenly treadmilled and the lift has to stop.
    Lifties already stop the chair all the time for kids and beaters from San Diego, that's nothing new. Like SKiED said this is to keep the chair running faster.

I'm kind of against trying to make things too idiot proof.

It just clutters up the gene pool when they live long enough to breed.

edit: missed a couple of posts there. If it can speed the chair up, O.K. it is a good idea.
    Semi-professional anvil avoider and unfortunate slave to gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    do none of you morons realize its not just for "helping people get on the chair". It allows a non detachable chair to be run faster as well as not having to have a lifty bump every chair. All you morons who keep saying "if you cant load a chair you should ski" should quit skiing since you cant get a simple concept like this. It has nothing to do with helping people get on the chair easier and everythign to do with running the lift faster without having to bump every chair.
    NOTHING is JONGproof! Including this contraption and apparently this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

do none of you morons realize its not just for "helping people get on the chair". It allows a non detachable chair to be run faster as well as not having to have a lifty bump every chair.
    What you don't seem to realize, is that this was discussed earlier in the thread. You added nothing new, you parrot boy JONG!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

THey have had these at Diamond peak for a long time. As long as I can remember. (small resort in incline, lake tahoe)

Probably costs a bunch, would much rather have a high speed.

This is another one of those things that the euros figured out a long time ago...More people going up the mountain means less waiting in line with all of the 95% of skiers that just take the easiest route back down. This along with some 6/8-person chairs (something that is also not a foreign concept in the Alps) would be greatly appreciated up at Whistler on many saturdays...

PS: The crazy euros have even started to add ass warmers to some of their lifts. As gaperish as it sounds, on a cold day you lower the bubble and you are pretty happy. Its pretty new there, so that means we will have to wait a couple decades for it to come our way...the atlantic is pretty wide I guess.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    so what happens when you are on set of the newest Ultra's in their Super Obese Phat Model model with the sicknar camber and sidecut and you are on the outside guy, are they going to slow it down for you when your outside ski can't fit on the carpet and can't keep up or are they going to heckle you for being the biggest Texass gaper known to man?

My vote goes for the douchness expenditure of the year award. If I wanted carpet, I would go down on an Eastern European woman.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

doesn't angelfire or some place in new mexico have one of these?

anyways, it's cheaper than a detachable

and anything that causes a liftie to hit the stop button less is good in my eyes
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
    They've had setups like this in Europe for more than 15 years and they run fine.

Lifties already stop the chair all the time for kids and beaters from San Diego, that's nothing new. Like SKiED said this is to keep the chair running faster.
    Americans have a bigger problem with these things because we have more idiots. Idiot proof is an oxymoron here in the States.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Wierd, Mayrhofen pretty much only uses these, didn't realise they hadn't crossed the pond yet. Its a cute idea except the number of beginners who fall over when they go onto the moving bit makes me sad/angry/laugh

keep in mind that bridger bowl has been f-ing things up for years. as an ex ridge hippie i know all about it the solution to crowded lineups of idiots from the midwest is to travel north to b.c. then u only have to deal with albertans but they dont hike...

I felt like this worked pretty well at Alta. And I don't think Powderpark is a long enough lift to warrant a highspeed.

I want a carpet over on Schlashmans. That would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Works great at Supreme. The sensation is sort of the opposite sensation of getting on an escalator or moving sidewalk that is not moving. Something like cognitive dissonance.

Saw this months ago, old fucking news:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ridger&page=64

Post #1598

Are they putting in one of these things at Alpine Meadows this year? I think I read something about it.

As far as RFID scanners I like the ones on KT where there are more lines in the maze than gates in the scanner--makes KT even more agro than it already was.

Where can I purchase a copy of the soundtrack?

will I still have time for my quad-beer?

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    keep in mind that bridger bowl has been f-ing things up for years.
    You are so right. That new chair totally blows, worst idea ever. Who would ever want to ski somewhere that has an entire lift to serve EXPERT only terrain? You have to have a transceiver just to get on the chair. And get this, the chair isn't even technically new, they bought it second hand! Cheap bastards.

Shortening the Bridger chair was so fucking stupid I want to pull my hair out.

When they replaced PK they should have put in a high speed quad, not a fixed grip triple, totally dropped the ball there.

Opening up D-Route exposes skiers to too many dangerous places that are super easy to get to. Speaking of safety, did you know they have open boundaries now? Anyone can just go into the bc whenever they want to, a complete disregard for the welfare of their patrons. Hell, they don't even have safety bars on half the chairs!!

Their further expansion plans are short-sighted with no consideration of increased skier days and include no high-speed detachables. Weak!

The problem is the lack of experience in upper management, none of them have any idea how to properly run a ski resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    What you don't seem to realize, is that this was discussed earlier in the thread. You added nothing new, you parrot boy JONG!
    Wow and saying jong to every damn thing someone posts isn't being a parrot? Holy shit dont you guys ever get sick of repeating the same TGR catch phrases all day?

Oh and this name was registered like 3 months after yours, not to mention this was like the third user name I have had on here.... Yeah youre a moron.

Wow and saying jong to every damn thing someone posts isn't being a parrot? Holy shit dont you guys ever get sick of repeating the same TGR catch phrases all day?

Oh and this name was registered like 3 months after yours, not to mention this was like the third user name I have had on here.... Yeah youre a moron.
    You are so easy to send into hysterics, BTW the rant you PMed to me was much funnier.