Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Got on Surveyors and a Post Canyon loop this weekend; both still in good shape. If you've got a clear sky get up to Surveyors: amazing views and still some fall colors. Out and back from parking off Pine Mountain Rd. is good. Climbing the oak ridge trail to surveyors sucks. Stop in a bike shop and look at kissing the trail or the hood river map.

If you can shuttle, eight mile>knebal springs>surveyors or dog river is all still pretty good. We got snowed on up on gunsight a couple weekends ago but it's dry enough now; not sure for how long.

+1 for post canyon. Lived there for a few summers in my van.

Copper salmon is also a good place for a drink, nice to look over the water.
    I see Blue; He looks glorious.

The Skyway does indeed kick ass, but its probably a half hour from Hood River, over in Rhododendron on the other side of the mountain. Best BBQ around, awesome owners, great great great bar. I love that place.
    L-I-V-I-N. Livin'.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    I'm not a huge Brian's fan, but many.....many....people like it for a nice dinner. I'm not sure if the thai trailer in the Windance parking lot is still open, but that's always yum.

I suggest Nora's for something fancy(ish). Much better food that Brian's PH.
    I second Nora's for a quality dinner. Yes, the Thai trailer (Lampoei) is still open, and the food is great!! Grabbed lunch there on Sat.

Buy a kite and kiteboard till the lifts open

Today went well... drove out to St Helens (no mountain sighting... it seems to be having its hair done in the clouds... oh well, thats how we like it right!!!)... anyway the Lava Tube doesn't care if it is raining!!!

Tomorrow is out best bet for riding so we will wake up and head out as we can.

The Thai Place seems to be closed weekdays (but then again the whole town seemed to shut down on Monday... which is fine by us!!!) but we found good mexican (what would a Canadian know about mexican food except to avoid anything served by a dog).

I hope we have weather for surveyors tomorrow... I wanna see Mt Hood.

lava tubes

CJ just read this thread over my shoulder, and started to say "... but the Undara tubes are longer" ... but stopped herself in horror at the thought that she had become a Lava Tube Snob.

this tube had 2 directions, one was 1 mile out and back, and one (where we went) was 1.75 miles, small 8ft climb, had to hunch over a bit in places, but overall great.
    might be a bit much for CJ still.

going to ride surveyers ridge in the AM. hope the weather holds.

surveyors is ALL snowed in, got a lap in on dog river. lots of rain today, so might just go for a bike path ride. hoping to go across to syncline trail, but might do that Friday now.

beer and pizza tonight

on your way back North, (depending on which way you go)

East -check out the Maryhill museum and the full to scale Stonehenge that overlooks the Columbia, cool place to get in touch with your inner druid

West -Multnomah Falls, TROUTDALE!

South- Government Camp -Charlie's Mtn. View

on your way back North, (depending on which way you go)
    Fastest is the 84 to 395 to 90 Spokane way, if speed is the desired method.

If you're still wondering about bike rides ask around at Discover and mountain view, during the summer there's usually a lot of group rides. Definitely stop in at Ground for lunch, I suggest the orchard brie. I don't know about lampoies fall schedule but really good authentic Thai food. Brians, as it has been mentioned before, is awesome. I have yet to have a bad meal or service there, the lasagna is amazing, and the downstairs bar and grill is good too. Other restaurants to check out would be the mesquittery (probably spelled that wrong but it's right next to the Shed), 6th street, and definitely go over to Everybodys Brewing in white salmon, everything there is really good. Don't know if it's still in season but you can go rafting on the white salmon. Zollers is a pretty good outfit with guides and everything you need.

thanks again for the advice,

we are going back end of april, so hoping that more of the surveyors ridge is open

Post Canyon has some fun riding, but you'd do well to find someone who knows the trails to show you around. I get lost back there.

If you ride Hospital Hill/Syncline across the river, I recommend checking out Solstice restaurant and Walking Man brewpub. Enjoy!
    I skin switch.

If you're going to day trip to St Helens and hike the Lava Tubes and want another ride I'd also suggest Ape Canyon but that's a bit of a drive for you guys.
    Pretty sure Ape Canyon will not be hikeable (sans snowshoes) or rideabe this week...

Syncline is fun but I'm not sure I'd classify it as easy cross-country riding. Pretty rocky, pretty steep. But worth checking out anyhow, the scenery is awesome. Unfortunately I don't think the good XC type of trails up off highway 35 (Surveyor's, 8 mile, Knebal Springs, etc.) are melted out or rideable yet, but I could be wrong.

Do you have ski touring gear? St. Helens, Adams, and the north side of Hood are all close. If not, even (cough) snowshoeing in those places would be worth it for the scenery if the weather's good.

the trip this spring is in end of april (thread was started for last years fall trip)

Syncline is great for us. I guess everyone has there own version on easy XC, but that was great, (as was the dog river lap) and just about perfect.

Think that in 4+ weeks the surveyors ridge will be rideable?

not looking for winter, we have that at home (banff)

HOOD RIVER: we just rolled in, now what?

For the best authentic burritos and tacos...El Rinconcito is a must. Near the Safeway. Don't forget to try the green salsa!!!

As others have already mentioned, post canyon seven streams loop is a good shorter ride.

leaving in 10 days. any updates on conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by BCchica View Post
    For the best authentic burritos and tacos...El Rinconcito is a must. Near the Safeway. Don't forget to try the green salsa!!!

As others have already mentioned, post canyon seven streams loop is a good shorter ride.
    Yeah, assuming you hit it on one of the three days a month it's actually open since it sold to new owners.

Also assuming you like your authentic burritos dryer than a bucket of sand.

Frontside of Hospital Hill to Syncline is good right now. A few dry days and Post Canyon will be decent too. Surveyor's Ridge could be decent soon depending on weather.

Best burritos are across the bridge in Bingen in the middle of town on the north side of hwy 14. I don't even know the name but look for a door with a small sign on it and say hi to Rosa.

unless im getting things mixed up surveyors ridge is around 3500-4000 feet? this has been a shit snow year, but i still think youll have a lot of snow up there.