Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HOOD RIVER: we just rolled in, now what?

Well, we rolled in a few hours ago, settled into the house a friend is loaning us for a week and walked into town, drank 7 (small) beers at full sail, found the yoga schedule for Sunday... now what?

We have mountain bikes, cross country 2-4 hours of happy middle ring riding at a slowish pace is our preference... happy to drive 1-2 hours for quality single track. (Mntlion is familiar with Bend area).

We will head out to Mt St Helens for a tourist day of Lava Tube hiking at some point.

We are in town til Saturday Oct 30.

Tomorrow (sunday) must include the apple fest up the road cuz the BBQ place stops selling ribby porky goodness tomorrow.

What else should we do?

Skibee

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Sex on the squiggly kitchen sink thingy that is so intriguing.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

ride post canyon! Its super fun and not too crazy on many of the trails. Or venture over to white salmon and hit up the syncline trail.

Go to Brians Pourhouse and grab some post ride food and a beer. That place has an awesome carbon fiber bar top. Also some of the best food in Hood River.

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Well, we rolled in a few hours ago, settled into the house a friend is loaning us for a week and walked into town, drank 7 (small) beers at full sail, found the yoga schedule for Sunday... now what?

We have mountain bikes, cross country 2-4 hours of happy middle ring riding at a slowish pace is our preference... happy to drive 1-2 hours for quality single track. (Mntlion is familiar with Bend area).

We will head out to Mt St Helens for a tourist day of Lava Tube hiking at some point.

We are in town til Saturday Oct 30.

Tomorrow (sunday) must include the apple fest up the road cuz the BBQ place stops selling ribby porky goodness tomorrow.

What else should we do?

Skibee
    hey guys as as far as must do rides

Surveyors Ridge. It's a longish ride - can you somehow get a drop off at the top of the Frog River singletrack then ride back down to the Visitors Centre? The local bike shop Discover Cycles might be able to help with map and directions. This is about half hour out of town

Post Canyon has some nice singletrack and you can bike there from town or drive there.

Syncline as suggested is also nice

Hospital Hill/aka Krebs ranch is also nice but I haven't riden there in a while and I've heard there might be access issues. Its across the river on the WA side in Bingen.

If you're going to day trip to St Helens and hike the Lava Tubes and want another ride I'd also suggest Ape Canyon but that's a bit of a drive for you guys.

Pizza and beers at Double Mountain Brewery. Try their India Red Ale.
    http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/brewery.html

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    Sex on the squiggly kitchen sink thingy that is so intriguing.
    I wonder if we can incorporate the garbuator in the drain of that sink as a vibrator somehow!!??

I wonder if we can incorporate the garbuator in the drain of that sink as a vibrator somehow!!??
    Don't know why you wouldn't. Just remove those dangling chain piercings from 'that' area.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I know it's a touristy thing to do, but if you've never seen Multnomah Falls then after biking one day drive the stretch of the Historic Columbia River Highway with the falls and Vista House.

It took 20+ years of going to Hood before we did that and it ended up actually being very cool.

http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/...er_highway.pdf
    Last edited by Eldo; 10-25-2009 at 12:30 PM.

I'm not sure how long a drive it is to the Tilamook (sp?) area but it's a pretty cool coastal area and I always like an ocean fix when I'm close to it.

Besides I'm guessing/hoping you took the tt so it be nice driving. Not sure about getting bikes down with that thing though.

we drove the sabaru down, so we can bring back winter tires for the TT, and textbooks for brenda.

I have a hitch mount rack for the TT and thule racks for skis, and bikes. It just doesn't have enough room for much extra gear....

going for lunch at
    http://www.applevalleystore.com/
    "This is the last weekend of the year that we serve our Old Fashioned Country BBQ ribs, pork & chicken sandwiches served with cider baked beans and pear coleslaw."

and then brenda wants to go to
    http://www.foothillsyarn.com/

looking at post canyon rides for monday, or this afternoon if we have time and it is still dry.

I always eat here:
    www.sushiokalani.com

Kind of touristy, but also super awesome. Drive east out of downtown and take Highline Rd. up to the Mosier Tunnel walking/riding trailhead. You can ride on the old columbia hiway about 6 miles through some sweet tunnels with great views of the gorge, then drop down into Mosier and hit The Thirsty Women for some of the best selection of micro taps you'll find in Or.

Also hit up Post and Syncline.After Syncline, hit up Everybody's Pub in White Salmon for great tap selection.

You unfortunately hit Hood River during kind of a shoulder season, but all that means is that while you wont be able to ski, or windsurf/kite, you will have access to some of the best beer selection anywhere.

Oh yeah, Dog River on Oak St. has some of the best coffee in town (Stumptown from PDX), and if you are so inclined, my mom/grandma have a great little wine shop up on State St. called the Wine Sellers. Tell them Nick sent you...

Quote Originally Posted by Teague View Post
    Pizza and beers at Double Mountain Brewery. Try their India Red Ale.
    http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/brewery.html
    Second that.

river city saloon is a great bar, just don't argue with east coast pete 'bout baseball or the pats
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

river shitty sucks balls. The Shed is where its at.

yeah, the shed is a cool bar - especially now that they passed the no-smoking-in-bars law..
    river shitty ain't all bad - i've had many good times there
    the other side of the hill is betta for drinkin - charlies, skeller, shack, inn, skyway -- the skyway kicks ass..
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I always eat here:
    www.sushiokalani.com

Hump Day - Wednesdays 2-for-1 Handrolls

ok... Sushi Okalani on Wednesday...

Where else has great food specials in the off season... and if there is one GREAT expensive place fer dinner... which one?

ok... Sushi Okalani on Wednesday...

Where else has great food specials in the off season... and if there is one GREAT expensive place fer dinner... which one?
    Chez AceandIda. Seriously hire someone to come in and cook or at least takeout. Do you think you'll get a better view anywhere?

Pretty good website/blog
    http://thegorgeismygym.com/
    Of course he likes the OTHER sushi bar in town.

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    Chez AceandIda. Seriously hire someone to come in and cook or at least takeout. Do you think you'll get a better view anywhere?
    Yeah... just made apple cinnamon pancakes from the command center kitchen... very nice. We need full storm gear to use the BBQ right now tho... us Alberta folks can;t really handle a little bit of rain!

I'm not a huge Brian's fan, but many.....many....people like it for a nice dinner. I'm not sure if the thai trailer in the Windance parking lot is still open, but that's always yum.

I suggest Nora's for something fancy(ish). Much better food that Brian's PH.

Looks like Temira is on the same page with Nora: http://thegorgeismygym.com/food/nora...eet-hood-river

Aren't the snow levels dropping? Post could get rough for biking, no? I beleive there is a desserty slicrocky type ride in Bingen that might be worth a look.

If the weather clears, the Elliott Glacier Public House is a nice spot to eat, drink, and look at Mt Hood's north side.
    Riding along the Deschutes from where it meets the Columbia back for many many miles is pretty, not at all technical (dirt road) and very beautiful - it's just East about 45 minutes on I-84 in a state park. The weather has higher odds of being sunny over there, too.
    another Handsome Boy graduate