2009 Avalanche Classes

Does anyone offer any level 1 avalanche certification classes in November in Colorado?

I'm sorry but it has to make me laugh, the first level 1 class I see at the CAIC is December from the 18th to 20th. Seriously, how many people living in Resort towns near a ski resort who have to work, can get 3 days off in a row, a week before Christmas?? There's stuff later in the year, but still 3 days in a row during the season? I'd be lucky to be able to get 3 days off for the class in April. There is a robust schedule of classes from January to March to be fair...

Isn't more likely that many of us would like to practice with Beacons and assessing avalanche conditions in late November to prepare for the season?

i can set one up for you in silverton but i'd need a minimum of four people. pm me if interested.

I also have 3 friends who are looking for a early season Level 1..

If there is a time or week day or weekend that could work PM me as I can send 3..

You don't see classes prescheduled in November because to teach a good class you need some snowpack to go study and that isn't always guaranteed in many parts of the state.

Also, covert knows his stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If this keeps up maybe there will be enough by mid to late Nov...

I will send convert a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    You don't see classes prescheduled in November because to teach a good class you need some snowpack to go study and that isn't always guaranteed in many parts of the state.

Also, covert knows his stuff!
    I was out this weekend around Silverton and there was easily enough snow and "stuff" going on in the snowpack for an avi course. On various aspects and elevations we were able to find windslab on near surface facets, depth hoar, an ice layer from some early season rain and even a buried surface hoar layer in a gully next to a creek.

The San Juans deliver...
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

I'm not saying there isn't enough now, but there was no way for them to know that there would be a few months ago when you might put out a announcement of avi class dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

yeah, I don’t think there’s much you can read into on that