Thread: Key West Guide

Key West Guide

Heading to Key West for a few days in December, looking like the 22-24. Looking for a guide, what I would really like to is head out in a larger center console, and Fly Kites for Sails. I'd really like to learn more about live bait kite fishing. What 'cha got?

While I can offer no advice...please be advised I am eagerly awaitng a TR.

Did Kite for Tuna and its the bomb.....like upside-down bobber fishing with an explosion when the hit happens!!!!

PM Hook. I am sure he will take care of you as long as he is still there, and not back in Belize or points south.

Done thanks.

Call Scott. No brainer.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    Call Scott. No brainer.
    Scott=Hook? or Scott=Bear's Den?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Scott=Hook? or Scott=Bear's Den?
    Bear's Den

if u want i could give you the name of someone i have used before. its not sport fishing though. we caught 60 fish. grouper, mutton and huge yellow tail. tho catching sails is fun theres nothing quite like catching a fish every minute. all u do is catch and reel the capt unhooks the fish and you go to the next rod. these werent small fish either...

Did you ever find a guide? I'm back now, if that helps.

Actually, I didn't make it down to Key West, hopefully next time. Weather crap the week we down there. Stayed in Sanibel and trolled the causeway for grouper.

Thanks though.

jong away

Total ocean fishing jong here, avid freshwater kayak fisherman. Would love to take a kayak trip down at the keys. I'm thinking big pine but I really know nothing about the keys, it just looks like there is some internal waters that might be fun from viewing a map. I wanna drive down with my own boats.

Not looking to do deepwater ocean fishing or long travels between islands or anything. More want to find a nice campground and goof around in clear water with the kayaks. I'd love to do some flats fishing as well.

I'm in the earliest stages of planning this so please excuse my lack of knowledge here but I've got a few questions. Are personal craft permitted to launch at most places down there??? Are guides required for fishing, or can you just go out and have at it solo??? I of course understand I will most likely need a state fish license and need to learn some of the local restrictions and details, but does this seem like a plausible trip???

Quote Originally Posted by PASKIINGSUCKS View Post
    Total ocean fishing jong here, avid freshwater kayak fisherman. Would love to take a kayak trip down at the keys. I'm thinking big pine but I really know nothing about the keys, it just looks like there is some internal waters that might be fun from viewing a map. I wanna drive down with my own boats.

Not looking to do deepwater ocean fishing or long travels between islands or anything. More want to find a nice campground and goof around in clear water with the kayaks. I'd love to do some flats fishing as well.

I'm in the earliest stages of planning this so please excuse my lack of knowledge here but I've got a few questions. Are personal craft permitted to launch at most places down there??? Are guides required for fishing, or can you just go out and have at it solo??? I of course understand I will most likely need a state fish license and need to learn some of the local restrictions and details, but does this seem like a plausible trip???
    Totally plausible. Lots of fun stuff around Big Pine. Either way you head, flats or Atlantic side will be fun in a kayak. Might be a hell of a paddle to get to the good stuff. You might look into that. Don't forget the Snook stamp, and look into lobstering too. You can grab lobsters in 10 ft of water with just a snorkel and mask. Check season, and plan on mixing this in. All you need is a probe, bag, and measuring device(you measure the thorax size I think).

You have never had lobster until you have sauteed a still kicking tail in butter and garlic.

edit-

oh, and remember- some of our best fishing occurs at night. Find some good dock lights, and go for it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm lobstah

That is great, exactly what I wanted to hear actually. I've heard stories of tickling or whatever for lobster down there and I am very interested in it(I live for seafood). Unfortunately from what I've read so far the season ends around march and we're looking into late spring possible early summer. Oh well more research will sort things out I'm sure. Thanks for the info and advice. Like I said this is in the infant stages right now, but that all sounds great. Any guess on a drive time from just north of Philly????? I'm guessing 20 - 30 hours???? that is just a shot in the dark though.

Quote Originally Posted by PASKIINGSUCKS View Post
    That is great, exactly what I wanted to hear actually. I've heard stories of tickling or whatever for lobster down there and I am very interested in it(I live for seafood). Unfortunately from what I've read so far the season ends around march and we're looking into late spring possible early summer. Oh well more research will sort things out I'm sure. Thanks for the info and advice. Like I said this is in the infant stages right now, but that all sounds great. Any guess on a drive time from just north of Philly????? I'm guessing 20 - 30 hours???? that is just a shot in the dark though.
    Key West takes exactly 7 hours from my house in Tampa. I am exactly 4 hours from the border of GA. This is a big state, and you will be driving the whole thing. Key West can take 3.5 hours from Miami, or it can take 6 hours- depends on day, time, time of year, accidents, night or day(Key Deer), etc. Best bet is to not have a schedule. Get there when you get there, and enjoy the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Get there when you get there, and enjoy the scenery.
    Been on enough road trips to have adopted this as my road mantra many years ago. Always a good time.

I'm not much of a paddler but my ex-wife was somewhat involved in this coming to fruition.

http://calusablueway.com/

It's more in Warthog's direction but I've heard the paddler set rave about it.

If you are into a remote experience, there is a route through the everglades from Everglades city to Flamingo.
    It's not for beginners though.

I see paddler's all the time down here in the lower keys so It's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I'm not much of a paddler but my ex-wife was somewhat involved in this coming to fruition.

http://calusablueway.com/

It's more in Warthog's direction but I've heard the paddler set rave about it.

If you are into a remote experience, there is a route through the everglades from Everglades city to Flamingo.
    It's not for beginners though.

I see paddler's all the time down here in the lower keys so It's doable.
    Heard about somebody fishing back out of Flamingo, deep in, and running into a woman and her daughter paddling that route alone. They were packing, that is about it. Sketchy.

While I'm sure the everglades area is breathtaking the gf and I were looking for something with a few less large reptiles. Of course I officially know jack shit about florida so this might not be a real concern.

This trip would be more to appease the gf's lust for a tropical vacation. Sun and sand, clear water and that sort of thing. Kayaks are just a great way to have fun in the form of another activity, also might afford me the opportunity to get a line wet.

Thanks for all the tips though guys, if this actually pans out I'll be sure and post updates.

Florida keys here I come.

Will do some research on my own but I'm sure I'll be back in here to get some local beta at some point. Booked a tent only spot on the big pine key for a week in late may. Kayak fishing and snorkeling will be had.

aftco kite + bunker or bluefish = giant.