Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CollegeChem sucks vibes and advice needed...

First semester of college at Utah State,I never took chemistry in H.S. my chem 1210 class is the only one giving me any trouble, there are 4 tests, 3 regular, and 1 final. 600 points total in the class, 300 from the regular test, 200 from the final, and 100 from a weekly quiz averaged out over 10 tests. I got a 72% on the first test, just got a 64% on the 2nd, and I'm averaging a 80 or 90 on the weekly quizes. This class is kicking my ass, I hate chemistry, it doesn't seem to build upon principles like math or other disciplines of study. Unfortunatly I have to take this class to graduate,and I may have to take more...

sweet blog
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    First semester of college at Utah State,I never took chemistry in H.S. my chem 1210 class is the only one giving me any trouble, there are 4 tests, 3 regular, and 1 final. 600 points total in the class, 300 from the regular test, 200 from the final, and 100 from a weekly quiz averaged out over 10 tests. I got a 72% on the first test, just got a 64% on the 2nd, and I'm averaging a 80 or 90 on the weekly quizes. This class is kicking my ass, I hate chemistry, it doesn't seem to build upon principles like math or other disciplines of study. Unfortunatly I have to take this class to graduate,and I may have to take more...
    The question is, how is everyone else in the class doing? Or is the professor not using any type of curve?
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

I hate chemistry, it doesn't seem to build upon principles like math or other disciplines of study.
    Yeah, I felt the same way about it. Luckily I took the couple freshman courses at some big school where whiny nursing students were also taking it, turning my mediocre grades into a lulzy A.
    If you're a relatively moral, ethical person, there's no inherent drive to kiss ass and beg for forgiveness and promise to never do it again, which is what mostly goes on in church. -YetiMan

Try this...go to class everyday, do the required homework and reading, then just study for one or two hours the night before the test and get some sleep.

I slacked my way through college, skipping classes, drinking, then trying to cram for test...then in grad school I did as described above...so much easier
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

suck it up princess.

Chem in general sucks. Look on the bright side: so far, you have 136 points from your tests, and between 45 and 45 from your quizzes, lets call it 35. There's 171 points. If 50% is the passing mark, you're almost half way there. Even if you bomb the final (say, 40%) and shit the bed for the rest of the quizzes (70% average through the year) you only need 14% on the final midterm to get through it.

Can you tell I'm trying my best to put off doing more homework, fucking surveying and structural geology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

you're probably not college material. start putting in the hours here

your bitching over a freshman chem class??? cry me a fucking river.

You think your intro chem course is hard? You should give p-chem or o-chem a whirl.

I am in the same situation, except not sucking and working 35 hours a week.

Time to wipe the sand out of your vadge. Things will get MUCH harder.

Get a tutor.

Norseman - SICK
    alpine-live.com

Structural Geology and Surveying sounds like a good time.

farmer

suck it up princess.

Chem in general sucks. Look on the bright side: so far, you have 136 points from your tests, and between 45 and 45 from your quizzes, lets call it 35. There's 171 points. If 50% is the passing mark, you're almost half way there. Even if you bomb the final (say, 40%) and shit the bed for the rest of the quizzes (70% average through the year) you only need 14% on the final midterm to get through it.

Can you tell I'm trying my best to put off doing more homework, fucking surveying and structural geology.
    "A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

Stop bitching I got As through freshman chem...and i'm a girl! ARE YOU A GIRL SON?

work harder.

Life isn't easy- suck it up.

(I hated general chem also, by the way...and organic chem, and P-chem, and biochem, and analytical chem, and spectrometric chem, and bioorganic chem, and physorg chem, and organometallic chem... but I kinda liked synthetic orgo chem and medicinal chem- how I ended up a dentist I'll never know...)
    "Go Balls Deep!"

I majored in Chemistry and when it interfered with my partying I switched to Political Science/Sociology. After sleepwalking through college with those 2 degrees I finally felt bad and went back to finish up chemistry. It was hard and I actually had to do work all the time. But it felt good to master the subject. Maybe you will feel the same--or are you not up for the challenge?

Chemistry is not for pussies, sweetheart. Damn right it doesn't build on earlier principles like Math does...and that means you actually have to study and practice solving lots and lots of problems for practice. Dooo it! Not alone though--work with a study group. Tough subjects require moral and intellectual support. You see students clinging to each other for dear life in study groups for chem classes in colleges all over the world for a reason: it works.

And cheer up...at least you're not taking Physical Chemistry. Boo-ya!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I never took chemistry in H.S.
    That wasn't too bright.

I'll agree with the suck it up comments, but I won't necessarily agree that it will get THAT much harder. Especially depending on you major and what you're good at. I'm in my last semester of a mechanical engineering degree right now, and my freshman chem classes were some of the hardest I've taken. I don't know if it was because I didn't know how to study yet, or they were weed-out classes or what, but they sucked. Just get through it. And gretch is right about the studying, that is the strategy I've adopted in my later years of school.

So I guess what I'm saying is quit being a pussy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

Yeah, brings back memories. I was pounding on my steeringwheel in the parking lot when I got back my first o-chem test...

The answer turned out to be-go to every class and lab, study every night, do every problem in the book, do every old test I could get my hands on, and enjoy it. You can't fake it-you either know it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyskier View Post
    o-chem
    Less whining til you get here^^^. Seriously no Chem in HS. What did you go to some 3rd Reich, religious nuts-o school that didn't believe in science?

Chem is iinteresting, but tough. I did better in Physics.

My prof for chem was an indian woman and ther were probably 300 people in the class. You couldnt understand a word she said and she didnt care. I stopped going to class after a few weeks, read the chapters two days before a test and ended up with a c in the class. college is retarded and I often wonder where my tuition went.

You should seriously consider engineering school, you will enjoy it.

"CollegeChem sucks vibes"

That's gotta be hard on the teeth.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Ask me if I would trade workloads with you...

They are called weeder courses for a reason.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.