You ever seen this before? broken 66rc2x

Anyone want to buy an '07 66 RC2X (1.5 steer tube) with only a year of use for dirt cheap? ...only kicker is the steer tube is REALLY REALLY SHORT!

I'm glad this didn't result in me breaking my neck!

Apparently, Stanyo had the same thing happen to his identical '07 66 RC2X within the past few weeks. I purchased this brand new in May of last year. Bar code stickers attached etc... brand new. That's less than a year of actual ride time due to winter.

EDIT: Just thought about this thread and the fact that I never concluded it. Marz took care of me. This was a very isolated one of a kind incident with the manner in witch the fork failed. I have been riding the fork with brand new stanchions, crown and stem for almost a year. Feels awesome and I love the fork. I'm not at all worried that the problem will ever be replicated.
    Last edited by powder4breakfast; 08-13-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Dayumn! Glad you survived that one.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Lightbulb FUCK

THAT SHIT.
    Drive slow, homie.

Did you call on this Shaun?

Left it with Von at Go-ride today. Lets hope the big "M" is good to me. I could have broken my neck on a 1.5" fork that isn't even a year and a half old yet.

Von said he had never seen that happen to a 1.5" fork.

Holy shit.......glad you're OK.
    rad.

"You see, I was just riding along, and..."

;-)

When one thinks of the forces the fork legs have as levers on the bottom race, it is hard to believe aluminum is used at all. It is a lot of force concentrated on a one inch tall pressed in fitting. Glad you are ok

Quote Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
    When one thinks of the forces the fork legs have as levers on the bottom race, it is hard to believe aluminum is used at all. It is a lot of force concentrated on a one inch tall pressed in fitting. Glad you are ok
    yeah but just think of the new carbon fiber forks with the carbon fiber steer tube.

powderforbreakfest you might have a metal fatigue on faulty alloy there. hopefully they will set you up with a new one.
    Read my blog at oilcanracer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OilCanRacer View Post
    yeah but just think of the new carbon fiber forks with the carbon fiber steer tube.

powderforbreakfest you might have a metal fatigue on faulty alloy there. hopefully they will set you up with a new one.
    carbon is stronger than al though......

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Under Compression carbon is stronger than al though......
    Fixed it......
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Glad your ok!!! Where/how did it happen? JRA or full speed? Scary stuff man...
    - - - - Skiing is for little fat kids - - - - - -

wow, how did that happen and how did you not die?
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    carbon is stronger than al though......
    Not always

This kind of thinking is going to get you killed! KILLED I say!

Or at least poorer when you break shit.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Sketch! Makes me want to replace my 5 year old z150!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I had a buddy whose Z150 snapped in the same place a couple years ago. Haven't seen any 66s like that though.

Wasn't Stanyo's steerer already torqued, or was that an older fork?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I believe that was the older fork... the one that wouldn't allow him to turn it in one direction very far. Yet, he'd still ride the corkscrew and skinnies.

My fork had been making a snap/creak sound before hand that I was concerned with. I have heard many stories of creaking forks and it never crossed my mind that in the end it would break in half. I took it into the shop and they said that the sound could possibly be the headset needed to be re-packed. Bearings looked greasy and good and I tightened the stem and headset etc. I never thought the lip on the steer tube where it seats with the crown might be failing and making the noise.

I landed a hip and felt something wrong in the front as well as a loss of speed. After the hip you go directly into the next feature. I tried to pop and deffinately felt something wrong as I got no pop. Things were moving quickly at this point and my brain wasn't clicking with the fact that my fork was falling apart. I landed short and flat about two feet before the landing and it finally clicked in my head that something was broken and I wasn't going to have a good day. Although I was moving slower at this point, there was one final impact with the small landing that finished pulling the stem out of the crown.

All things considered, that was as good a place as any for failure. The landing was small and bailing room was wide open without trees.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Wasn't Stanyo's steerer already torqued, or was that an older fork?
    My fork was about a year and a half old and was running great prior to it's catastrophic failure. Mine sheared off right above the crown, instead of pulling out like powder4breakfast's steer tube, though.

... although I think mine was weakened by a crash a couple weeks before it broke that involved taco-ing my front wheel.

p4b, were you guys on AMA?

Stanyo, it's pretty crazy that you rode on a bent steerer for so long without issue, but one little biff and this new one crapped the bed. Where did it let go?

Glad you guys walked away, that's pretty spooky.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

that sucks. Glad you still have your teeth.

I've seen a few marzocchis do that. One more reason to no buy them...

Sketch makes me want to get rid of my 66 and start running dual crowns again. Marzochi better hook it up on that one. I don't let them try and pull some weak ass crash replacement cheap price on you. That bullshit should be a free new fork. The axles on the neww 66's suck though. You should just try to get Marzochi to upgrade to a 888 and get the simplest one without all the unneeded adjustment knobs.