Thread: Cockeyed mount?

Cockeyed mount?

Toe piece is ~4mm closer to one side of the ski . Heel seems to be centered (FKS bindings). Other ski looks fine. So am I better off skiing with my left toe pointed in or my right tip splayed out to the side .

Out of curiosity, home or shop mounted?

Have you tried loosening the screws, then re-tightening while holding the toepiece more "centered"? (might help to have an assistant hold the ski steady)

well looking at the background I'd say home mount. try what el chup said you can things to center up a bit by adjusting which screws you tighten if it was the heel on a fks its not a big deal with the pivot action but the toe will mess things up if you can't get them closer I would adjust your mount point forward or back and re drill.

measure 12 times drill once
    Carry on my wayward son...

Shop mount. Photo shoot in my garage.

Little pissed as the owner told me he would mount them himself after a previous pair was mounted slightly off center. Maybe no jig for the FKS? Stopping by the shop tomorrow to see what he thinks.

I think this is a big problem. You shouldn't be skiing a mismount. A mismount needs to be addressed. it's not going to ski well like that.

Do you have any other make of bindings around? Some drivers or something that may still get you on center and give you a different hole pattern if you pull and plug that mismount?

Otherwise if it were me (as shop mgr in my old shop, or as a customer in your shoes), and it's a full-price shop mismount, that shop owes you a pair of skis.

It should be any shop SOP to eat a mismount. If they don't like it, they should do what it takes to get it right, mounting is a big deal and 4mm duckfoot on one ski is not right (period, end of story).

It's worth keeping in mind that I've been skiing on some shop's mismount for a few years now...having just plugged the bad mount at ~310mm +1 and mounted 326mm @ center. The ski could still be useful to somebody, they don't necessarily lose much to sell that mismounted ski to somebody with a different bsl and/or binding combo cheap and buy you a new pair at wholesale.

++vibes though... that sucks.

Thanks YetiMan. I am a bit bummed. The skis are used but mint, only drilled once before for a touring binding. Really don't want to put more holes in them.

Is the binding 4mm off center, or is the difference in space between each side of the ski and binding 4mm? If it is the latter your binding is 2mm off center, which still sucks. I'd go with YetiMan's suggestions

right at the lights, straight on till night
    Yetiman is on point. don't be afraid to get in their face for a mismount there's no excuse for it. last season a local shop mismounted a pair of CMH Explosiv's on me.. they tried to pull a "we don't have a jig for that antique".

if you don't have the tools to do the job then tell me BEFORE you fuck up my skis so I can go to someone that does have the fucking jig. i politely insisted that they replace the ski, and got another pair from them in identical condition as the first pair 2 weeks later. i offered to give them my original pair back but they let me keep them, which totally got me back on their side, and they kept my business.

be firm but polite. there's no fucking way you should swallow a mismount.
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.