Sometimes, you have to shoot the horse. [o]

My beloved Peyto frame (that just had one large and one small hairline crack repaired and was freshly PC'd) just had the small hairline crack...uh, well, re-crack. I guess considering I paid $450 for it near seven years ago, it's served pretty damn well, considering. :thumbsup:

...just ordered a up a small, in black...Transition Bike Co. TransAM frame. Well, nearly. It's in the works with Marshal.

The small TransAM, when run with the fork setup I have now will give me near identical geometry, about a half pound more weight, and no worry in the back of my head about when the crack is going to go all the way when riding...

Only thing that won't swap over is the headset, so have one of the TBC units coming as well, in red, to match the rest of the swapped over stuff.

Going to have to see about if I can get a re-weld from a frame builder that will hold...right on a weld in the chainstay bend just back of the BB area on the drive-side. It's not a bent tube, but a couple bits brazed together with a reinforcing plate on the inside. The crack is right on the top of the stay. May be fine to ride, may not, but the back of my head is getting nervous about it, so will just ride other bikes until the new frame shows up.

You can sorta' see it here.

Some of you, with whom I've had the good fortune to ride, know how much I love this bike. Sigh. We'll see if the Transition boys can keep the magic going. :thumbsup:

Earlier today, in the autumn twilight of life.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

fitting tribute.

i have drooled over the peyto since i first saw it ~6years ago...

god speed, sweet stallion. may you ride again!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    fitting tribute.

i have drooled over the peyto since i first saw it ~6years ago...

god speed, sweet stallion. may you ride again!
    thanks. i think a decent builder can make short work of a *real* and durable repair, but that the hell, it's only money, right? i can ride the tranny for a bit and see how it compares. the geometry on paper looks so damn similar, i may not notice much, if any difference.

having just gotten it pc'd, i'm just hesitant to strip it down again. grrrrrr! over the winter i guess, and to a good framebuilder. then at least i'll have something to ride in the meantime. i love the other bikes, but the beefy hardtail is still my main, go-to ride for most local stuff.

one of my other parts procurers is getting a new boxxer for the big bike, and a canuckustanian buddy is getting me a new link for it that will up the rear travel by a whopping 15mm without altering geometry. that and the boxxer will let me run a bit more sag, and slacken things out just a touch more as well ought to be a nice combo, without messing up the bb height too much, or making the handling too wonky. will be nice, as i picked up a season pass to diablo for next year, for $269!

now i just need my pitch frame to magically have a slightly shorter wheelbase and chainstays, and everything will be beautiful.

Bummer! I've been admiring that frame for years. Hopefully, it can be saved. Godspeed on a new ride if it can't.

RIP Peyto

Hey Marshal!

Thanks!

TransAM small frame. 5# 15oz. Roughly a pound heavier than its long-serving, well loved, and now cracked predecessor.

Finished swapping the parts over at 11:40P.M. this evening. Hope to get some pedal time in the next couple days...

30# 4oz.
    No lightweight by any stretch, but four cracked/broken hardtails (two of them pretty burly) over the years has me not having any issue with that.

Static numbers as measured on my somewhat uneven garage floor, with the Lyrik at 160mm:

BB height: 13.25"
    head angle somewhere between 67-68*
    wheelbase 42.5"

The Lyrik knobs clear just fine, with the stock headset. Me likey the simple and sano headset dealio. Will leave the fork at 160mm for a bit, then if things feel too slack, go down by 10mm at a time until the sweet spot is hit. I think with the BB height where it is and the head angle as is, paired with the chunky rocks out here, it'll likely stay at 160mm though.

I managed to get my Salsa 31.8mm seat clamp to work rather than the sorta' cheapo stock 32.8mm size (oddball size, that) - thread the bolt in from the other direction with a penny for it to butt up against - thus spreading it just enough to slip over the seat-tube. The Gravity Dropper post/shim combo to fit the 30.0mm seat-tube is just peachy - no slippage or binding AFAIKT.

I may do some Dremel tool work on the dropout sliders/keepers and open up the backsides so that rear skewer removal isn't needed to get the wheel out. The forward tabs on the bits ought to work just fine on their own, as everything is kept nicely in place otherwise with the wheel clamped in the frame. That said, the hanger is nice and beefy. I ordered up a couple spares with the frame, but may not need on for a while...

A bit of paint overspray on the headset area/seattube/BB threads. Easily fixed, and something that I'm not concerned with on a frame at this pricepoint. The very front of the headtube at the top had a slight ding on the outer bearing seat bits. Bearing was a tight fit, but a bit of grease and things popped right in. Nice and smooth, no binding on the bearings or cover after. No bottle braze on on the down-tube is something I may remedy, but is no deal breaker. More for long hot rides in summer when the extra 20oz. is nice.

Excellent! I like it. I love the idea of burly AM hardtails, but I just can't ride them anymore. I love my Vagrant - still going strong - but that thing just beats the crap outta me anytime I take it on an actual mountain bike ride. Still love it for dorking around in skateparks, occasional DJ's, street, etc.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Hey Marshal!

Thanks!
    nice man!

looking forward to seeeing the ride report/hammer fest image gallery!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

looks great

just curious why you went with the transam over the ragley blue pig

theyre both awesome bikes, just curious.

/loving my ragley

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Excellent! I like it. I love the idea of burly AM hardtails, but I just can't ride them anymore. I love my Vagrant - still going strong - but that thing just beats the crap outta me anytime I take it on an actual mountain bike ride. Still love it for dorking around in skateparks, occasional DJ's, street, etc.
    that vagart has jack hammer like qualities coming from the boxed chainstays. Something like a the trans am will actually feel supple in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    looks great

just curious why you went with the transam over the ragley blue pig

theyre both awesome bikes, just curious.

/loving my ragley
    The TransAM matched sizing and geometry of the cracked frame a touch more.

Plus, I just like the aesthetics of the TransAM much more.